Update: RemoteRemote conflicts with iPod firmware 2.1
Engineered Audio emailed us the following:
“We’ve been working on this (between last night and this morning) (several electrical engineers…) and are now convinced that this is an issue specifically related to version 2.1.
We have a number of iPods here (15 or so) and have various versions of firmware 2.0, 2.0.1, 2.0.2, and 2.1 ... and all the failures here are only related to 2.1 ... go figure!”
Engineered Audio has issued a statement regarding the RemoteRemote wireless remote for 3G iPods. It seems that users with iPods updated to firmware 2.1 are experiencing problems controling the iPod via the receiver unit. At this time, shipping of the RemoteRemote has ceased until they fix the problem. (click ‘Read more’ for the full statement)
“This issue is not fully understood at this point, however, those customers that have updated their iPod to firmware version 2.1 will most likely suffer this failure. We have anecdotal evidence that iPod firmware versions 2.0 and 2.0.1 work. The working theory right now is that this is a timing (or structure) problem with the serial data that the receiver sends to the iPod.”
RemoteRemote update from Engineered Audio (11/05/03).
Due to a recently discovered problem with the RemoteRemote, we have temporarily stopped shipment of ALL RemoteRemote orders.
Engineered Audio has uncovered a problem in the RemoteRemote receiver, whereby the receiver will NOT control the iPod. This issue is not fully understood at this point, however, those customers that have updated their iPod to firmware version 2.1 will most likely suffer this failure. We have anecdotal evidence that iPod firmware versions 2.0 and 2.0.1 work. We have received some conflicting information that version 2.0.2 may (or may not) work. The working theory right now is that this is a timing (or structure) problem with the serial data that the receiver sends to the iPod. We hope to have further information over the next day or so as we work to uncover exactly what the problem is. Until then, please be patient as we work this issue.
Once the issue is identified, we will fix the receiver firmware, and continue shipping. We will also have those customers affected send their receiver in to have it’s firmware updated.
Please check http://www.engineeredaudio.com/faqs/remoteupdate.html for further updates on this issue.
We sincerely apologize for all the heartache this has cause, and ask for your patience and understanding.
- IK Multimedia announces iRig Mic Studio
- Report: Apple outlines more stringent requirements for MFi case makers
- Report: Bose products returning to Apple Stores?
- Beats introduces Solo2 Wireless Headphones
- Logitech debuts Harmony Living Home line
- Microsoft unveils iOS-compatible Universal Mobile Keyboard
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly comes out Monday, subscribe now
- Verizon to allow users to opt out of web tracking ‘supercookies’
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1 update, adds Notification Center widget
- Chinese Government may require Apple to build ‘back door’ into iPhones
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- RooCase ORB Tablet System
- Harman Kardon Soho Wireless Headphones
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- How do I turn off Reachability on the iPhone 6 Plus?
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards