Update: RemoteRemote conflicts with iPod firmware 2.1
Engineered Audio emailed us the following:
“We’ve been working on this (between last night and this morning) (several electrical engineers…) and are now convinced that this is an issue specifically related to version 2.1.
We have a number of iPods here (15 or so) and have various versions of firmware 2.0, 2.0.1, 2.0.2, and 2.1 ... and all the failures here are only related to 2.1 ... go figure!”
Engineered Audio has issued a statement regarding the RemoteRemote wireless remote for 3G iPods. It seems that users with iPods updated to firmware 2.1 are experiencing problems controling the iPod via the receiver unit. At this time, shipping of the RemoteRemote has ceased until they fix the problem. (click ‘Read more’ for the full statement)
“This issue is not fully understood at this point, however, those customers that have updated their iPod to firmware version 2.1 will most likely suffer this failure. We have anecdotal evidence that iPod firmware versions 2.0 and 2.0.1 work. The working theory right now is that this is a timing (or structure) problem with the serial data that the receiver sends to the iPod.”
RemoteRemote update from Engineered Audio (11/05/03).
Due to a recently discovered problem with the RemoteRemote, we have temporarily stopped shipment of ALL RemoteRemote orders.
Engineered Audio has uncovered a problem in the RemoteRemote receiver, whereby the receiver will NOT control the iPod. This issue is not fully understood at this point, however, those customers that have updated their iPod to firmware version 2.1 will most likely suffer this failure. We have anecdotal evidence that iPod firmware versions 2.0 and 2.0.1 work. We have received some conflicting information that version 2.0.2 may (or may not) work. The working theory right now is that this is a timing (or structure) problem with the serial data that the receiver sends to the iPod. We hope to have further information over the next day or so as we work to uncover exactly what the problem is. Until then, please be patient as we work this issue.
Once the issue is identified, we will fix the receiver firmware, and continue shipping. We will also have those customers affected send their receiver in to have it’s firmware updated.
Please check http://www.engineeredaudio.com/faqs/remoteupdate.html for further updates on this issue.
We sincerely apologize for all the heartache this has cause, and ask for your patience and understanding.
- Urbanears launches new lineup of Wi-Fi Connected Speakers
- Fabricate announces Nearbuds for AirPods
- Delayed BeatsX headphones to hit stores Feb. 10
- Apple releases firmware 3.5.1 update for AirPods
- Spigen AirPods Stand coming in mid-February
- New Griffin Home lineup includes app-enabled Connected Mirror, Coffee Maker, Toaster
Subscribe to iLounge Weekly
- New Puff Daddy Documentary will be another Apple Music exclusive
- Apple releases fifth beta of iOS 10.3.2
- Report: Apple’s Jimmy Iovine still has ambitious video plans for Apple Music
- Apple executive talks using AI to boost human memory
- Apple rolling out ‘Today at Apple’ educational courses starting in May
- Smart home device maker iDevices acquired by Hubbell
- Apple delays ‘Carpool Karaoke’ release to ‘later this year’
- Dutch court rules Apple can’t replace broken iPads with refurbished models
- Chinese blog claims Apple is only releasing two iPhone 8 models, no iPhone 7s or 7s Plus
- Apple releases fourth betas of iOS 10.3.2, watchOS 3.2.2, and tvOS 10.2.1
- Advanced Evo X & M4
- Advanced Mezger aptX Bluetooth Receiver
- iDevices Wall Switch
- iDevices Wall Outlet
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartSocket for Apple HomeKit
- Sony MDR-1000X Wireless Noise-Canceling Headphones
- FiiO i1 Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Adapter
- Blue Ella Headphones
- Apple iPad (Fifth-Generation)
- AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon Headphones
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10