Update: RemoteRemote conflicts with iPod firmware 2.1
Engineered Audio emailed us the following:
“We’ve been working on this (between last night and this morning) (several electrical engineers…) and are now convinced that this is an issue specifically related to version 2.1.
We have a number of iPods here (15 or so) and have various versions of firmware 2.0, 2.0.1, 2.0.2, and 2.1 ... and all the failures here are only related to 2.1 ... go figure!”
Engineered Audio has issued a statement regarding the RemoteRemote wireless remote for 3G iPods. It seems that users with iPods updated to firmware 2.1 are experiencing problems controling the iPod via the receiver unit. At this time, shipping of the RemoteRemote has ceased until they fix the problem. (click ‘Read more’ for the full statement)
“This issue is not fully understood at this point, however, those customers that have updated their iPod to firmware version 2.1 will most likely suffer this failure. We have anecdotal evidence that iPod firmware versions 2.0 and 2.0.1 work. The working theory right now is that this is a timing (or structure) problem with the serial data that the receiver sends to the iPod.”
RemoteRemote update from Engineered Audio (11/05/03).
Due to a recently discovered problem with the RemoteRemote, we have temporarily stopped shipment of ALL RemoteRemote orders.
Engineered Audio has uncovered a problem in the RemoteRemote receiver, whereby the receiver will NOT control the iPod. This issue is not fully understood at this point, however, those customers that have updated their iPod to firmware version 2.1 will most likely suffer this failure. We have anecdotal evidence that iPod firmware versions 2.0 and 2.0.1 work. We have received some conflicting information that version 2.0.2 may (or may not) work. The working theory right now is that this is a timing (or structure) problem with the serial data that the receiver sends to the iPod. We hope to have further information over the next day or so as we work to uncover exactly what the problem is. Until then, please be patient as we work this issue.
Once the issue is identified, we will fix the receiver firmware, and continue shipping. We will also have those customers affected send their receiver in to have it’s firmware updated.
Please check http://www.engineeredaudio.com/faqs/remoteupdate.html for further updates on this issue.
We sincerely apologize for all the heartache this has cause, and ask for your patience and understanding.
- Delayed BeatsX headphones to hit stores Feb. 10
- Apple releases firmware 3.5.1 update for AirPods
- Spigen AirPods Stand coming in mid-February
- New Griffin Home lineup includes app-enabled Connected Mirror, Coffee Maker, Toaster
- Kanex reveals GoPlay Sidekick wireless game controller for iOS devices, Apple TV
- AirPods coming to Apple retail stores Monday Dec. 19
Subscribe to iLounge Weekly
- Apple releases fourth betas of iOS 10.3 + watchOS 3.2 to developers
- Third-party screen repairs no longer void iPhone warranty
- iDevices adds dynamic automation, enhanced scheduling to ‘Connected’ app for HomeKit
- Apple reports that iOS 10.2.1 significantly reduces unexpected iPhone 6s shutdown issues
- Mobiata announces sunset of FlightTrack 5 and FlightBoard apps
- Harman announces first Wireless CarPlay implementation
- Report: Apple still considering several possible wireless charging solutions for ‘iPhone 8’
- Mini Metro adds Endless Mode
- Apple issues statement opposing Trump administration’s rescission of transgender rights
- ResearchKit study conducted using Apple Watch reveals new insights into seizures
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10