Updated: Audio Outfitters looking for beta testers for new iPod product | iLounge News

Updated: Audio Outfitters looking for beta testers for new iPod product

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, January 20, 2004
News Categories: iPod Accessories

“Audio Outfitters - Audio Outfitters, LLC, a leading provider of audio products announced today that they are looking for current Apple iPod owners to participate in market research for a new iPod product.According to Charlie Bernstein, President of Audio Outfitters, ‘This new product is the first of its kind and a product that is a long time coming.’

In order to participate in the Beta test and market research for this product, please send an e-mail to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) A non-disclosure will be sent to you. Once filled out, a representative from our company will contact you with instructions. Make sure your voice is heard and contact us today.

Audio Outfitters is a leading provider of Audio products for the Apple iPod.”

Update 1|21|04 11:49am PT:
iLounge and other’s who opted to participate have recieved the following email from Audio Outfitter’s:

We wanted to send a quick response to you to let you know that we received your request to participate in our market research and beta testing of our new product. The response has been overwhelming.

A survey will be sent to you in the next few days for you to fill out and return via e-mail. Selection will be based on the feedback we receive from you and on how closely you fit our target market.

Note: This e-mail does not indicate that you have been selected to participate at this time. Selection will be based on the feedback from the survey you receive.

Thank youin advance for your help and feedback.

Sincerely,
Charlie Bernstein
AudioOutfitters

Editor’s note: I have no idea what the product is, but I spoke with Mr. Bernstein on the phone and yes, it’s a legitimate request for feedback on a new iPod product. See his comments below.

This is legitamate. We are developing a new product and will be sending a questionaire out in the next few days. As with all good products, we believe it should be based on customer feedback and not the single idea of a few people. We want to make sure this product meets your needs and your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your interest.

The Web site is under development and will be launched shortly.

Charlie Bernstein
Audio Outfitters.

« Members of Parliamant in UK vote on iPod battery issue

“The iPod is the modern-day equivalent of the Samurai sword” »

Comments

I think there are already many products that play video that fit in the palm of your hand. My main concern is why none of the growing number of these cool new toys is made by Apple.

Posted by palmscience on January 20, 2004 at 8:24 PM (PDT)

“legitamate”, “unforetunately”.
I hope his product is better than his spelling.

Posted by TommyT in Birmingham, AL on January 20, 2004 at 9:02 PM (PDT)

I am betting on (hoping for) A car stereo head unit dedicated to the ipod.  I noticed that Pioneer is making a stab at it at CES but still not quite what I have had in my mind since even before I purchased my ipod.  This single din device should have a flip down detachable face and a ipod slide in dock much like a 8 track player, except it would be a 10,000 track player.  The face plate would flip back up to completely enclose the ipod inside.  If possible a CD player would be great to have, but definitely unnecessary for the first product to market.  It would show all the ipod’s screen information and give complete control from the head unit.  It would obviously have to charge the ipod for the rest of your day.  This was included in the email I sent to Charlie, hopefully I guessed the product exactly and he will include me in the beta just so I will sign the NDC and shut up

Posted by Lukas on January 20, 2004 at 9:31 PM (PDT)

Lukas: You must have missed the news that Alpine will be inroducing an Ipod compatibile head unit “in the spring.” It won’t work exactly like you have in mind, but a firewire cable can be run to the glove box or center console. Head unit display gives access to all the playlis, artist, album info, etc.

Posted by Pete LaV on January 21, 2004 at 5:16 AM (PDT)

ok - i’m seriously begging to REGRET sending an email to this guy!

Posted by daddo on January 21, 2004 at 5:20 AM (PDT)

This is legitamate. There is an old product called spell check. Unforetunately Charlie Bernstein hasn’t discovered it.

Posted by wmc on January 21, 2004 at 5:46 AM (PDT)

Daddo,

If you would like, I will take you off the list.  We are sorry that we made you feel uncomfortable.

Charlie Bernstein
AudioOutfitters.

Posted by Charlie Bernstein on January 21, 2004 at 6:04 AM (PDT)

Here’s a quick way to solve the legitimacy issue:
1)  AO says their website is in development.  This means they had to register a domain name with one of the registry services.  This info is in the public domain.  Perhaps Mr. Bernstein could provide us with the name of the proposed site and the registry service he used.

2)  Perhaps Mr. Bernstein could also provide us with the legal name and address of his company and we could call the Better Business Bureau to check.

None of this is to suggest that anything shady is going on, but rather a quick and simple way to verify that AO is a legitimate business…

Posted by ck on January 21, 2004 at 6:26 AM (PDT)

I think y’all should maybe just chill out.  If you sent him your info, just relax and see what happens.  If not, don’t - unless you have the ability to engage in a basically risky trusting relationship with another human being.  He’s come on here to explain himself several times, and he obviously has reasons for not revealing everything on this website.  I don’t understand the paranoia, myself.

tim

Posted by tim fitz on January 21, 2004 at 6:46 AM (PDT)

if it wasnt legitimate what would it matter? you havnt given them you bank details or anything, your all just paranoid for some reason, a good thing comes along and you tear it down. i see this happening more and more…

Posted by silver_haze20 on January 21, 2004 at 7:35 AM (PDT)

I saw the Alipine (not Pioneer - thanks Pete) setup at CES, it was kinda cool, I would still rather have the ipod slide into the head unit, it’s not a very big diffrence though.  I’ll buy the Pioneer box when it comes out though if thats the only product available

Posted by Lukas on January 21, 2004 at 7:39 AM (PDT)

sheesh!
so you gave em your friggin’ e-mail address. Big deal!

Your fault for not registering a free e-mail account for such things.

Posted by Redux on January 21, 2004 at 8:19 AM (PDT)

silver_haze20 said:  ” a good thing comes along and you tear it down”

Which exact good thing is that?  A leading supplier of iPod accessories (NO iPod accessories exist by a company of that name) that doesn’t have a website and won’t provide any company details has a vague promise of something we’ve never seen before and will love?  What’s wrong with policing businesses so that people less knowledgable don’t get scammed?  We’re not tearing down the product (whatever it is), we’re merely advising caution since no one (except Mr. Bernstein) knows anything about the company itself.  This morning, I provided a simple way to find out.  Give us the name and address of the company.  No proprietary secrets.  No details of the exciting product.  Just the name and address of the company.  So far, no response.

I hope that this is real, by the way.  I love the iPod, and anything that makes it better is ok by me.  I guess we’ll find out soon.

Posted by ck on January 21, 2004 at 8:45 AM (PDT)

Just got an email response seems legit:

Thank youin advance for your help and feedback.

Sincerely,
Charlie Bernstein
AudioOutfitters

Posted by Mike on January 21, 2004 at 9:07 AM (PDT)

Charlie,

I believe in you, and look forward to seeing what your product is.  By the way, I intergrated my 2G ipod into the controls on my motorcycle about a year ago and have since ridden about 25K miles with it.

(Photos here)

I also now have a 3rd Gen 20GB with one of the new RF Remote-Remotes.  I would be glad to hear from you and I sent you a private email with all my contact info.

Fred H.

Posted by Fred H. on January 21, 2004 at 9:20 AM (PDT)

Now, when Apple was starting out, do you think anyone was cautious of them? smile As I recall, there were plenty of people who didn’t think anyone would want a PC in their home. Caution is good, but what if it’s legit? Who cares if it ends up as spam anyways ... I use Apple’s Mail. I don’t sleep over spam.

Posted by Grubesteak on January 21, 2004 at 9:25 AM (PDT)

I just received an email letting me know he has received my beta request and to expect a survey in a few days

Posted by FrankaB on January 21, 2004 at 9:38 AM (PDT)

Sorry, I should have put the fully qualified path to the photos.  The correct URL for the integrated remote photos should be:

Fred H.

Posted by Fred H. on January 21, 2004 at 9:38 AM (PDT)

Posted by FrankaB in Colorado Springs on January 21, 2004 at 9:46 AM (PDT)

Message from Charlie B below:

“We wanted to send a quick response to you to let you know that we received your request to participate in our market research and beta testing of our new product.  The response has been overwhelming.

A survey will be sent to you in the next few days for you to fill out and return via e-mail.  Selection will be based on the feedback we receive from you and on how closely you fit our target market.

Note:  This e-mail does not indicate that you have been selected to participate at this time.  Selection will be based on the feedback from the survey you receive.

Thank you in advance for your help and feedback.

Sincerely,

Charlie Bernstein
AudioOutfitters”

Have fun,

Pete “tagret demographic” LaV

Posted by Pete LaV on January 21, 2004 at 9:59 AM (PDT)

Page 3 of 6 pages  <  1 2 3 4 5 >  Last »