Updated: InventiveGadgets releases iPod Holder | iLounge News

Updated: InventiveGadgets releases iPod Holder

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Saturday, October 4, 2003
News Categories: iPod Accessories

picInventiveGadgets has emailed iLounge to inform its readers that they have “replaced Velcro with a polymer based ‘cling pad’ that holds the iPod in place without placing any foreign substance on the iPod.”

InventiveGadgets has released an iPod Holder for the car. The iPod Holder features a vertical steel stand with an angled platform, and mounts to the lower portion of the center console in your car using double-sided adhesive. The iPod is attached to the platform via adhesive Velcro dots. iPod Holder fits all iPod models, is available in black or white for $29.99, and fits most cars and SUVs. Also note that late model VW Passat owners do not need to use the adhesive mount, but can simply slide the stand into the center console.

« iPod Engraving now $5.00 for Education Customers

Windows: Swiss-iTrip 1.1b Released »

Comments

obviously their goal should have been to make a stand that DIDN"T need velcro on the back of the iPod, or any other cosmetic modification to our favorite and most beautiful toy.

This will fail.

I use a cell phone mount for my iPod and it works perfectly.

Posted by seven5 in richmond on October 3, 2003 at 7:37 AM (PDT)

Um… velcro? On my iPod? ...have you lost it Maaaan!

Posted by Derek in Chicago, IL on October 3, 2003 at 7:58 AM (PDT)

You have to be kidding, what a piece of crap. I can just see the double-sided tape that holds the unit to the console falling right off when the car is parked in the hot sun on a 100 degree day. $30 for a metal bar with a plastic plate that just will not work!

Posted by mike on October 3, 2003 at 8:32 AM (PDT)

Velcro on the Pod is a No and also double sided tape on my car’s console is also a No. For $30, I’d rather buy the Belkin holder. =)

Posted by Carol on October 3, 2003 at 8:49 AM (PDT)

yes, it sounds horrible!

Posted by Vitaly Citovsky on October 3, 2003 at 8:50 AM (PDT)

pure crap. Which cell phone holder and where did you get it? i’ve been looking all over for something like this, but this just seems like a piece of crap.

Posted by Dasein on October 3, 2003 at 8:57 AM (PDT)

Boy, oh boy… you people just love to throw nasty comments around, don’t you?

Posted by Bademeister on October 3, 2003 at 10:33 AM (PDT)

There is no Step 3, as long as Step 1 is Velcro.

Posted by Michael on October 3, 2003 at 11:11 AM (PDT)

Don’t bother with the patent, no one will copy this.

Posted by ntljr in Woodland Hills, CA on October 3, 2003 at 12:45 PM (PDT)

My concern with adhering a piece of metal like that on the side of the center console in that manner is how well it would hold and what it could do in the event of a car crash.

And in the event of an accident, could this this slab of metal become a dangerous object?  I understand that in a car accident, this holder doing any damage to someone may be the least of my concerns, but I’d just hate to think that in addition to getting banged up, that during a severe impact, this holder would somehow get knocked off, get pinned in between part of the dash and someone’s body and end up stabbing my wife or a passenger in the leg or something.  Except for the platform part of it where the Ipod would sit, it’s just a thin piece of metal.  In the force of an accident, this could have the same effects as a sharp knife.

It might not be an issue if it were installed in a different way, but just to slap it on the side of a center console like that, makes me uneasy.  And I wonder how well it would stay adhered during an accident, after a hot day driving in the sun?

I know that sounds a little over the top, but that’s one of the first things that I thought of when I first saw it.  Not to mention, stranger things have happened.

Not for me.

Posted by Z on October 3, 2003 at 1:04 PM (PDT)

It’s nice to see someone is finally attempting to create something specifically for the iPod in a car, but not only does the velcro seem like a lame way to hold the iPod, the metal bar looks just plain stupid. I doubt it will hold very well on “all cars with a center console”

Posted by kloh on October 3, 2003 at 3:33 PM (PDT)

I agree about the velcro.

Posted by another user on October 3, 2003 at 6:24 PM (PDT)

Place Velcro on iPod?
HA!

Posted by jmc in noitacol on October 3, 2003 at 8:59 PM (PDT)

“If you are in an accident and the whole metal and glass car is crushed to the point of moving a little holder you have better things to worry about.”

...which is exactly what I had mentioned in my first post.  But think about all of the things that break and can go flying in a car that are mounted much better than this holder.  Yet in an accident, you can come out alive.  My concern is, during an impact, if this thing were to fly off and somehow become situated in a way that it could stab a passenger in a vital area, then they wouldn’t come out alive.

I realize that conditions would have to be just so in order for this to happen.  But that’s why cars are designed with standards - the idea is to design things in such a way that you don’t leave things to chance and to reduce or eliminate as much as possible any potential of harm.  Having a strip of 16 gauge steel, not so securely mounted, and so close to the body in a fast moving vehicle doesn’t sound good to me.

I don’t like the idea of Velcro on a $400 Ipod either, and maybe what I’m suggesting will never happen, but I see a potential of danger there, and my safety and the safety of my passengers are a bigger concern here to me.

Each to his own.

Posted by Z on October 3, 2003 at 11:15 PM (PDT)

Hello,
I noticed this debate and I would like to add a few things, before I got my I pod holder my Ipod sat next to me in the car it was very difficult to see and I almost ran off the road several times (we may all know what I am talking about) infact it was not uncommon for my Ipod to slip from its spot and land on the floor, causing even more issues in safety because I would be freaking out that it hit the floor (impact concerns ect.) and I would be trying to manuvre it back in to place all while trying to drive. NOW, I realize that this type of driving is very unsafe and more then likely dammages my credibility, but with The new Ipod holder I find that I am never in that position. I can clearly see the I pod it doesn’t go flying around the car it sits firmly in its place and I LOVE it. I admit
that the old model with the velcro was less then ideal, but now that the maker has released the new model with the polymer pad it is just place and go (it really sticks to the pad without attaching anything). I like that. I also like the customer service of this company which just recently sent me the FREE upgrade in the mail. It is awesome, I mean who does business like that anymore? I want to get out and tell every Ipod user who uses thier Ipod in the car to try it out. The company is great, the service is “insanely great”, and the product improves safety while driving, while being really great to look at, and it slides right into my Passat and geeze, I can’t say enough good stuff about it. As it stands all my friends who have Ipods have ordered one because it is such an improvement over any other system to date. For those who say it not worth the money I say what planet do you live on? It is well worth the cost of a lunch or even dinner out. It will improve your life. I think it is well worth it.

Posted by April on October 4, 2003 at 1:42 PM (PDT)

At least Mr. Inventivegadgets realized that Velro dots aren’t the iPod owner’s favorite items, and swiftly changed to another method of attachment. That’s cool.
Now, I wonder if “April” happens to be Mr. Inventivegadgets???

Posted by Bademeister on October 4, 2003 at 4:12 PM (PDT)

Why not just put the dots on your iSkin case or similar?

Posted by Casual on October 4, 2003 at 5:54 PM (PDT)

i also feel that april may be some gadget..how did she get the upgrade so fast when it just has been announced. in any case, it seems that the clingpad may not be such a good idea to hold ipod while driving on less then perfect roads.

finally, my car is more expensive than my ipod. so i do not want to stick anything on it.

Posted by vitaly on October 4, 2003 at 8:12 PM (PDT)

I say: more power to Inventivegadgets. Developing a new product, marketing and distributing it, is a big, difficult task. Keep it up, Gadget Man!
Until you think it through a bit more, I won’t buy your product yet, though - sorry!

Posted by Bademeister on October 4, 2003 at 9:16 PM (PDT)

Sorry, I am a real person… and not Mr Gadgets… I got the upgrade in the mail. and again I love it! I don’t know why I got the upgrade before it was advertised. But I am glad I did. As I am sure all the other people who purchased this product did. I look forward to seeing more folks with I Ipod holder and I trully support this product and its manufacturer! I am keeping an eye on this to be sure that my name is cleared, after all do we slam anyperson who writes with positive information at this site? or do we only accept negativity, geeze you all I am very happy with the product I think it is well worth the price and all I wanted to do was share that good news with you all. take it for what it is worth BUT do not slam my identity! gad!

Posted by April on October 5, 2003 at 11:01 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >