USA TODAY: Windows-based MusicMatch hopes to match Apple iTunes | iLounge News

USA TODAY: Windows-based MusicMatch hopes to match Apple iTunes

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Sunday, September 28, 2003
News Categories: Digital Media

“MusicMatch CEO Dennis Mudd calls his 99-cents-a-song service a ‘breakthrough,’ because he acquired liberal usage rules similar to those in Apple’s acclaimed iTunes Music Store: Buyers can burn songs and transfer them to portable devices as often as they want. [...]

MusicMatch is the first Windows-based service to obtain looser licensing terms. ‘We held off launching until we could get these rules,” Mudd says. “If you make it too hard on users, they’ll just go to Kazaa.’”

« Reuters: MusicMatch launches digital download service

MacFormat suggests volume hack for EU iPods »

Comments

Damn I wish Apple would have gotten ITMS for windows out quicker.  Didn’t they say they would have it up in October?  On a side note I am still waiting for access up here in Canada.

Mike

Posted by mike on September 28, 2003 at 8:11 PM (PDT)

That’s the wild speculation.  But it’s not October yet, is it?  wink

iTMS must come soon!  I’m waiting!

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on September 28, 2003 at 8:24 PM (PDT)

I don’t think iTurns for windows will be any good… Apple can’t develop for windows very well… look at quicktime.  Yuk

Posted by MusclePup on September 28, 2003 at 8:40 PM (PDT)

WMA files.  bleh.  Musicmatch. double bleh.

Posted by Albert on September 28, 2003 at 8:45 PM (PDT)

MusicMatch knows what their doing. I’m glad apple got some competition.

Competition = better service.

Posted by Bob on September 28, 2003 at 9:58 PM (PDT)

MusicMatch is just another MP3 jukebox application for the PC. If you look at the statistics, I doubt many people use it - compared to iTunes, which is easily the premier MP3 app for the Mac. iTunes is well known, as is the Music Store.

As with the iPod, I think Apple will continue to lead with iTunes Music Store. Even this competition will most likely not amount to much.

Posted by cozzie on September 29, 2003 at 1:11 AM (PDT)

Apple should get thier act together and step on it.

Posted by Strykar on September 29, 2003 at 3:51 AM (PDT)

“If you make it too hard on users, they’ll just go to Kazaa.’”

Read as: “People are already using Kazaa. We better make this good, or they’re just gonna keep using it.”

Posted by sb on September 29, 2003 at 4:27 AM (PDT)

So I downloaded and installed the new Musicmatch.  It’s actually pretty cool!  The interface is relatively easy to use, and there seems to be a fairly good selection (no Pavement though).  The artistMatch radio is a nice feature.  I don’t know how well it compares with iTunes, but one of my original complaints still stand.  As an iPod owner, WMA files are of no use to me.

Posted by Albert on September 29, 2003 at 6:56 AM (PDT)

Yeah, I agree that Apple is dropping the ball every day that iTMS remains unreleased. By the same token, they are going to face stiff competition in the years ahead no matter what. MusicMatch will try and distinguish itself by offering Windows Media files and that may be a big biggest mistake. MP3 is the standard (AAC being an MP3 version) that music fans have embraced. Short of offering the actual AIFF files off of CDs (bandwidth being the only thing holding this back) I don’t see another format making major inroads. iTMS is late in coming to the Windows platform but if iTunes is anything like it is on the Mac then it’ll be a hard act to beat. It’s a shame that Windows iPod users don’t really know what theyre missing.

Posted by Chris on September 29, 2003 at 7:23 AM (PDT)

You would rather Apple rush out iTunes for windows, and everyone complain about a half-baked product loaded with bugs?

Apple is being very prudent.  They already have a 1st class portable compatible with windows, and plenty of windows users stuck using MMJB (heard anyone sing MMJB praises yet?).  If they release a buggy iTunes, it will drive me and many others to MC9

Posted by Patrick on September 29, 2003 at 9:26 AM (PDT)

Any music service would have to use WMA or AAC for digital rights management.  That’s a given.  MP3 is out of the question.

Posted by Phil on September 29, 2003 at 3:27 PM (PDT)

There is MP3 PRO also with DRM

Posted by MusclePup on September 29, 2003 at 3:46 PM (PDT)

Apple sux anyway.

Posted by Apple Sux on October 4, 2003 at 3:03 PM (PDT)

I’ve been using MusicMatch’s download service to fill some holes in my collection and it’s pretty solid.  Here’s the bad news; since the files are in WMA format, you’ll need to burn the music on to cd and then rip back on to your harddrive in mp3 format in order to get the music on your ipod.  I found that this method does not effect the quality too badly (still 160K bitrate).  It’s a good alternative to piracy until Apple gets us windows users itunes.

Posted by Dash on October 11, 2003 at 5:46 PM (PDT)

If like me you use JRiver’s Media Center 9, then you can do on-the-fly transcoding between WMA and MP3. No intermediate CD burning required. MC9 supports literally dozens of sound formats and transcodes between them.

If you want higher sound quality, then you could use a rig like this I spotted:

——————————
I have issues about de-coding and re-encoding using any DACs inside a metal PC/Mac box… too noisy, lots of EM.

My setup is slightly more cumbersome, but probably gives better results. I output as SPDIF from a 24-bit 96KHz using an Envy24HT board, input to a 24-bit 192KHz Onkyo using its better, noise-free DACs, output the new SPDIF back into another 24-bit 96KHz Envy245, then convert into VBR MP3 using this string:

“—nspsytune—vbr-mtrh -V1 -mj -h -b96—lowpass 19.5—athtype 3—ns-sfb21 2 -Z—scale 0.98 -X0”

(I considered FLAC but considering that the “originals” are already lossy, I wouldn’t gain anything).

This gives superlative results. And despite all the wires involved, it’s all automated.

Posted by MC9 on October 12, 2003 at 7:57 AM (PDT)