USATODAY: MTV eyes music download service by early 2004 | iLounge News

USATODAY: MTV eyes music download service by early 2004

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, November 4, 2003
News Categories: Digital Media

“MTV Networks is preparing to launch a music download service with plans to go up against Apple’s iTunes and other competitors, said MTV chief Tom Freston Monday.

Freston, who addressed investors at the Harris Nesbitt Gerard Playtime conference, said the as-yet-unnamed service would debut within the first half of next year, but gave few details.”

« Mac: Raw 1.0 Released

Lajo Releases New Xskn Case »

Comments

ouch… this could be some serious competition for apple…

Good for MTV…

Posted by bababooey on November 4, 2003 at 12:20 PM (PDT)

How many companies are or will be in the online music business out there?

Posted by hhvuong on November 4, 2003 at 12:50 PM (PDT)

But… music on MTV stopped ages ago, other than a few short segments.  They’re more eMpTyV now than MTV of old.

Posted by KevinR in San Mateo, CA on November 4, 2003 at 1:31 PM (PDT)

I am pleased to announce that I will be starting my own legal music downloading service as well.  It will be called “Sean’s Music Downloads” and it will be better than everyone else’s!  I don’s have any funding or arrangements with the big labels yet, but why worry about the details?  This is the new big thing on the web and I’m getting on that bandwagon before it elaves without me dammit!

Posted by Sean on November 4, 2003 at 2:33 PM (PDT)

Just send me a money oder for $50 and I promise to give you unlimited downloads from my huge catalog of music for life!  Let’s see another service beat that!  Just send me your money…send me your money!

PO Box 123
500 Main Street
Springfield, USA

Posted by Sean on November 4, 2003 at 3:04 PM (PDT)

Great, now everybody can buy all the Good Charlotte, P Diddy and Britney spears they could ever want!

Posted by Chupacabra on November 4, 2003 at 3:18 PM (PDT)

^ oh and don’t forget to include hilary duff and all the boybands on the MTV service. I just can’t wait. *insert sarcasm here*

Posted by Jane on November 4, 2003 at 3:35 PM (PDT)

If ever there was a case of imitation NOT being the sincerest form of flattery, THIS is it!

MTV, BET, and VH1 have been devoid of quality music for about 10 years plus. What music could MTV possibly offer that anyone over 12 would want?

Maybe that’s the demographic they’re going for.

Posted by Aries73 on November 4, 2003 at 6:17 PM (PDT)

MTV play music? Wow,where was I? It’s going to be so cool! They’ll be much wider array of music to download from MTV’s service. For heaven’s sake,they’ll also be offering Nick and Jessica! They’ll be featuring the greatest hits of those musical auteurs and paragons of humility Puff Mommie, Kelly Osborne and Limp Bizkit! Blink 182! Talk about wide ranging choices,man!
Hunker Down and Pray For Daylight.

Posted by Christianicononev.2 on November 9, 2003 at 1:02 AM (PDT)