Users having email problems with iPhone Software 2.1? | iLounge News

Users having email problems with iPhone Software 2.1?

A number of iPhone users are experiencing problems with email fetching following the installation of iPhone Software 2.1. According to a lengthy thread on Apple’s discussion boards, some users find that Mail will only check their email manually, regardless of whether the account is set up to automatically receive mail via push or fetch, and regardless of whether they are using an original iPhone or iPhone 3G. At least one user in the thread claims to have received a phone call from a product specialist confirming that Apple is aware of the problem and is handling it as a “major” issue, although it remains unclear when affected users may expect a fix.

« iLounge announces iProvocateur + iPod As Art Contests - Winners Announced

ZAGG debuts invisibleShield for iPod nano 4G, touch 2G »

Comments

Add me to that list. Push and Fetch no longer work after installing 2.1. And frequently the manual email check hangs with a continuous spinning “connecting” symbol.  I hope a fix for this is on the way.

Posted by random person on September 23, 2008 at 8:41 AM (PDT)

I’ve never been able to get push to work with my .mac account, even after resetting/following Apple’s troubleshooting. Hope whatever fix they come up with helps me as well!

Posted by Nate Thompson on September 23, 2008 at 8:49 AM (PDT)

Definitely. I thought it’s just me. I’ve been changing my settings almost daily, but fetch (maybe push also) isn’t working correctly.

Posted by Ben on September 23, 2008 at 8:54 AM (PDT)

Oddly enough this problem started for me today.

I have a scheduled email that I get every morning from my google calender. After getting my morning coffee I hit my email button by accident when trying to get in a game of 2across. Fetching was lagging and I ended up with 8 unread messages.

for reference I have three gmail accounts on 30min fetch and a mobile me account on push and still got nothing

Posted by Trent on September 23, 2008 at 9:01 AM (PDT)

2.1 fixed the problems I was having with mail in 2.0.x
Before Mail would periodically hang while checking for email and I’d have to end task (hold down Home button) on Mail to get it working again.  Since upgrading to 2.1 I haven’t seen this issue (or the issue where mail doesn’t check while device is asleep) with either iPhone or iPhone 3G.  I’m checking Gmail, Yahoo! (push), MobleMe (push), and Exchange (push) accounts with push-enabled and 15 minute fetch.

Posted by Dyvim on September 23, 2008 at 9:16 AM (PDT)

Since i setup my iPhone (2G) from scratch after installing 2.1 i got rid of all of my problems.
Phone is as rock solid as it was with 1.1.4.
Push Email using mobileme works like SMS services. Most of the time it is even faster than my mac email client.

Checking my other email accounts is set to every 60 minutes and works too.

Posted by christian on September 23, 2008 at 9:29 AM (PDT)

nothing wrong with my phone checking for email every hour.

Posted by Derek on September 23, 2008 at 9:32 AM (PDT)

This hasn’t affected me. 2.1 solved all of the bugs that were bugging me (3G problems, battery life, etc.), and Fetch still works great. I can’t speak about Push because I don’t use that, but Fetch still checks regularly and delivers as promised. I always wonder why these kinds of problems affect some, even many, but not all users.

Posted by jasonact on September 23, 2008 at 9:36 AM (PDT)

My iPhone is having the fetching problem too. I noticed it since about a week ago. No huge complaints here, just waiting for a patch to come out soon.

Posted by jiji on September 23, 2008 at 9:47 AM (PDT)

I think that Christian above has the right idea… I did the same - set up my phone as a new phone when 2.1 came out and it’s been rock solid on most every front since I installed the new firmware. No issues with email polling or pushing.

Posted by S†åç™ on September 23, 2008 at 11:44 AM (PDT)

I have been really pleased with 2.1 for the most part. App downloads are seamless and problem-free. No freezing, no reboots, no text delays…but Safari still closes on occasion.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on September 23, 2008 at 2:23 PM (PDT)

I have the exact same fetching problem both on my first iPhone and my new 3g model It started somewhere with 2.0 software and above. Very frustrated.

Posted by Erik9999 on September 23, 2008 at 7:18 PM (PDT)

wow…  once again, i’m not having any of these issues.  Fetch and Push work fine for my Exchange ActiveSync.  and yes, i’m running 2.1 firmware.

Posted by Phong on September 24, 2008 at 12:06 AM (PDT)

No problems at all with push or fetch with 2.1 installed and using Izzymail for Office Live Hotmail.  For that matter, the phone worked fine before 2.1 and works better in some instances after installing 2.1

Posted by Rom on September 24, 2008 at 1:43 PM (PDT)

Add me to the list. Fetch/Push stopped working with my Google Apps email account since 2.1

Posted by Khash on September 25, 2008 at 7:10 AM (PDT)

I have a 1st gen iPhone, and e-mail rarely works on it’s own. 9 times out of 10 it fails ever since I upgraded to version 2.1 firmware.

Very frustrating, though I am glad to hear Apple is making it a priority. Until then, I’ll probably just use snail mail or carrier pigeon as they’re more reliable.

Posted by Gabriel on September 25, 2008 at 8:24 AM (PDT)

I updated to 2.1 a couple of days ago. I had no problems to start with, now I havn’t been able to sync at all in two days.

Posted by Jens on September 26, 2008 at 7:22 AM (PDT)

Both my personal email and push email at work are functioning perfectly on my 1G, 4GB iPhone running 2.1.

Posted by RNB in Bakersfield, CA on September 26, 2008 at 9:01 AM (PDT)

I repported earlier that my e-mail stopped working a couple of days after installing 2.1

Now, after deleting my e-mail accounts on the iPhone and then syncronizing the accounts via iTunes, it works properly again. This is spooky since I double checked all settings on the iPhone and nothing seemed to be wrong.

Posted by Jens on September 29, 2008 at 12:47 AM (PDT)

I had some problems with email after 1st upgrading the firmware. My problem is that Safari and most apps crash after about 15 seconds. Phone and email are about all that really works right now.

Posted by Larry Morris on September 29, 2008 at 10:00 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >