Users report iPhone 4 proximity sensor, camera issues | iLounge News

Users report iPhone 4 proximity sensor, camera issues

A number of iPhone 4 owners are experiencing a couple of new bugs unrelated to the ongoing reception issues. Over three hundred replies have been logged on one Apple discussion board thread dealing with a proximity sensor issue in which the iPhone 4 prematurely activates the screen, leading to inadvertent button presses and even accidental hang-ups. Another lengthy thread deals with a problem where the Camera app crashes immediately after opening. In both cases, it is unclear whether a software update will be able to fix the issue, or whether a hardware replacement will be necessary for those affected. [via AppleInsider | Mercury News]

« AT&T launches iPhone 4 sales at retail, online

Apple posts new FaceTime iPhone 4 TV ad »

Comments

I have proximity sensor issues, but only because I’m using a case designed for a 3G, which obscures the sensor. When the phone is out of the case, it works fine. I wonder how many of these folks are having the same issue with other cases…

Posted by Skwid on June 29, 2010 at 7:32 AM (PDT)

I have proximity sensor issues (screen activates when phone is at my ear, and I end up tapping buttons with my cheek).

I don’t use a case. Also, I never experienced these troubles with my previous iPhones (going back to the debut model) so I don’t think I’m “holding it wrong”.

Posted by Me on June 29, 2010 at 11:52 AM (PDT)

I don’t use a case, and I definitely have this problem. It’s most prevalent when I hold my phone with my shoulder while doing something else (like folding clothes).  I never had this issue before and with iPhone 4, it’s happened three times. It’s embarrassing and I hate it. I’m also left handed, so this totally sucks. Not a happy iPhone 4 user here.

Posted by Brian on June 29, 2010 at 3:21 PM (PDT)

By my left hand comment, I meant that I also have the antenna problem as an issue.

Posted by Brian on June 29, 2010 at 3:25 PM (PDT)

I’ve been having this problem with the proximity sensor since Thursday, but I finally corrected it today thanks to some advice from a guy in line behind me at the coffee shop who happened to notice me hang up on my girlfriend with my cheek. If you go into the reset tab in General Settings, and hit reset all settings, it will clear up the glitch. He said it happens when you restore your new phone from a 3G or 3GS backup. Yeah, you have to re-enter your wifi passwords and a couple other preferences like wallpaper and ringtone, but you don’t delete anything like texts or notes, so it’s completely worth it.

Posted by Cash on June 29, 2010 at 5:17 PM (PDT)

I had a camera issue where I couldn’t save any photos and the photos that did save and I tried to delete froze and said that it was saving and the only way to get out was to hit the home button. Also a friend of mine had the proximity sensor issue that every time he answered the phone and tried to hang up the screen stood black and wouldn’t let him hang up unles he hit the lock button. We restored both phones and the issues went away but when we restored from backup from our 3GS the same thing re occurred. What was interesting was that our previous phones were jail broken and seemed to carry over the tether unlock, custom carrier, and blank apps to our i4’s. I’m guessing that iOs 4 is not erasing the hold hacks so it’s causing these kind of issues with the new phones, so I just restored completely and started fresh and since then, the phones have been working flawless.

Posted by Peter on June 29, 2010 at 11:34 PM (PDT)

All this is a bunch of BS that you cryers will always go through in life,because all you all do is look for ways to get attention & no matter at who’s expense. All the Iphones work exactly like the 4 in alot of ways. If you have a fat face or fingers i am sure they are getting in the way of the sensor & this is why it is doing the things you people are saying it does. Now i can understand maybe there could be a camera glitch,but this other stuff is nonsence & needs to stop. My phone works exactly as advertised! So all you verizon lovers that came to buy the new Iphone so you could be cool,,, Go back we dont need you & your BS.

Posted by NotAcryingBaby on June 30, 2010 at 8:23 AM (PDT)

Camera Problem Fixed after iOS 4.2 update

Posted by Gagan on November 22, 2010 at 11:11 PM (PDT)

Dear Sir

I have also problem with my iphone4 sensor problem so please saport me what can i do ?

Thank
Saurabhbarot
Serial Num:87118AD4A4T
Phone No:+919909981318

Posted by saurabhbarot on January 11, 2012 at 2:56 AM (PDT)