USI, Foxconn to supply Wi-Fi iPod? | iLounge News

USI, Foxconn to supply Wi-Fi iPod?

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, April 13, 2007
News Categories: iPod

According to a report from DigiTimes, Universal Scientific Industrial and Foxconn are both involved in the manufacturing of Wi-Fi iPods due to appear later this year. USI is said to be making the Wi-Fi modules, with Foxconn serving as the system assembler. “USI will begin shipments later in April, while Foxconn may do so in the third quarter,” the report states. Taiwan-based Foxconn has been contracted by Apple in the past to build products such as iPods, desktop Macs, and Airport Base Stations.

« Mogopop offers ‘iPod Your MySpace’ service

Philips acquires iPod accessory maker DLO »

Comments

that sounds cool. What is the practicality of having wifi on the ipod? It just drains the battery and to me it really provides no benefit. maybe wireless downloading so I can be lazy and not plug in the cable. whopee! I’d rather see support for xvid / divx / avi files plus a 640 x 480 screen on the ipod. Maybe larger hard drives or 16 or 32GB flash drives. oh and a removable / rechargable battery.

Posted by Trevor Mitchell on April 13, 2007 at 10:37 AM (PDT)

Hey Trevor, I’m pretty sure the iPod screen IS 640 x 480.

Posted by urbanslaughter on April 13, 2007 at 12:22 PM (PDT)

urbanslaughter - try 320 x 240 - one quarter of 640 x 480.  You buy 640 x 480 from iTunes, but it won’t play at that resolution on your iPod smile.

Posted by WhoCares on April 13, 2007 at 12:54 PM (PDT)

An Apple TV in your hand!

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on April 13, 2007 at 5:15 PM (PDT)

Trevor,

You are right, and wrong.  New 5th generation iPods (available fall of last year) have 640 X 480 screens.  Not only have I purchased 640 X 480 stuff from iTunes for use with my 80 GB iPod, but I use Handbrake to rip DVDs to that resolution as well.  It works well.

Unfortunately, if you have an older 5G, then you are stuck with 320 X 240, which really isn’t a problem with a screen that small.  It does suck a bit on a full size computer screen, however.  I wonder what the next generation will bring?

Posted by MacManiac on April 14, 2007 at 1:12 PM (PDT)

Trevor,

You are right about the screen resolution, and I am wrong.

Although the iPod will play back 640 X 480, it does so at 320 X 240.  I assumed that,  iPod had the higher resolution screen because it can accommodate those videos.

I hate it when I make an ### of myself…

Posted by MacManiac on April 14, 2007 at 1:17 PM (PDT)

Bluetooth would be better so we can use Bluetooth headsets.

Posted by Lei on April 18, 2007 at 10:53 AM (PDT)