Using a USB 1.1 Connection with 3G iPod | iLounge News

Using a USB 1.1 Connection with 3G iPod

AppleCare KnowledgeBase Document:

“Some Windows-compatible computers may be able to connect to iPod (with Dock Connector) using a USB 1.1 connection, but this is not a recommended configuration. [...]

You may be able to connect an iPod (with Dock Connector) model to a Windows-compatible computer using a USB 1.1 connection, but this is not recommended because the connection is too slow to synchronize music. For best performance, connect iPod to your computer using USB 2.0 or FireWire. You may need to purchase and install a USB 2.0 or FireWire card to do this.”

« Attention all business owners: Buy iPods for your employees

CNET: Ultimate iPod accessories »

Comments

That’s really good news for me.  I used to have a Nomad Zen and I’ve sold it to get an iPod.  Which i can’t seem to get hold of at all in the UK at the moment - there is a serious shortage at the moment.

I wanted to use my Zen to transfer files from Uni PCs to a home PC but after buying it discovered you needed to install drivers - which you cannot do due to administrator privilege restrictions on the Uni computers.  However it seems the iPod is driverless, using built-in Windows removable USB storage drivers.  I’m pretty sure that the computers use USB 1.1 so I hope it works!  I’ll fins out when I can finally get one!

Posted by Jon on August 7, 2003 at 1:48 PM (CDT)

usb 1.1, what?  it would be better to burn a thousand cds and have access to your music for the 7 years it would take to transfer gigs of music over usb 1.1

Harry
Box Checker

**Ban me, try it.  You might cause a riot.**
-Ice T

Posted by Box Checker on August 7, 2003 at 3:15 PM (CDT)

I agree you would be nuts to transfer songs with it but I plan to use my iPod at college so that way I can carry all my documents with me and just plug the iPod into any computer on campus, all of which are usb 1.1. So it adds a lot of functionality that way.

Posted by BigIzz on August 7, 2003 at 3:24 PM (CDT)

My friend’s computer has only USB 1.1 ports on it so I went and got the USB/firewire cable to connect to his computer. It also comes in handy for charging my iPod away from home since I leave my original firewire cable with the dock. I had a really hard time trying to update the firmware to add USB capability on the iPod on a USB 1.1 connection. I finally gave up and did it through my firewire port at home. I haven’t had the chance to use my iPod over my USB 2.0 port so I can’t comment on that. After the last firmware update I can now connect to any USB 1.1 port with no problems. Yes, the transfers are slower, but for a quick addition of a few songs it’s a moot point and I can use the iPod as a hard drive at work through USB also. So it’s well worth the investment, especially since the firewire and the combo USB/firewire cost exactly the same price.

Posted by bg1 on August 7, 2003 at 4:26 PM (CDT)

I have been using USB 1.1 to sync my ipod and have had no problems. But it is very slow. I don’t mind because once I perform my initial sync, I won’t be syncing songs very much. I’m also converting my songs to a lower bitrate, and that is the more time consuming process…

Posted by digitaltrapper on August 7, 2003 at 4:50 PM (CDT)

Although I did upgrade to a firewire card, my original synch was using a USB 1.1 card.  Yes it was slower than the firewire card, but ripping and compressing CDs is way slow (using EAC and LAME) by comparison to transferring the songs to your IPOD.

Posted by mike on August 7, 2003 at 7:55 PM (CDT)

as fas as USB 1.1 is concerned, does anyone know if my Mac formatted 30 gig iPod can be connected to a PC via USB 1.1 (for use as a hard disk only) to move files back and forth between my PC and my Mac?

Posted by sickandwrong on August 7, 2003 at 10:30 PM (CDT)

It’s unfortunate that Apple has intentionally left out the ability to sync to Macs via usb.

I’m sure that I’m not the only Mac user that is PLANNING a new machine purchase, but for right now is stuch with an older usb only machine.  (iMacs and iBooks till the DV editions)

I will buy an iPod, and I will buy a new Powerbook, come the revisions.  But the thing is, at least I could be buying it now, and using it with my older than dirt iMac rev A.  It would take an eternity to get the ACC files on there, but, there agian, who cares, it’s gettin them on that’s the problem, not the speed.  Just leave it to sync up overnight.

The speed in an inconvience, where as the lack of usb support makes it impossible.

The more iPods they sell, the bigger the mindshare/better the word of mouth advertising.

Why not just throw down some mac USB support too?  After all, the G5 has USB 2 ports on it…what the hell right?

m.

Posted by Matt on August 7, 2003 at 11:34 PM (CDT)

Does anyone know if you can use the USB cable on a Mac for the external HD?

I’d love to use my iPod for uni (rather than zip discs), but we’ve got mostly g3’s, only a couple of g4s (which are always taken - not surprisingly), so no firewire.

Posted by Nathan Adams on August 7, 2003 at 11:47 PM (CDT)

all you ppl, listen up!!!
if you read my post in the forum, you can discuss it there!
the mac thing, yes, it works!
pcs, yes, even mac-formatted ipods if you use ephpod!
ok, its slow, but leave it overnight to sync your music!
cya,
peterb

Posted by peterburk in Geneva, Switzerland on August 8, 2003 at 1:35 AM (CDT)

Matt and others go here:

I’ve successfully plugged my Mac iPod 3rd Gen to a USB port in MacOSX… but read, there’s more infos…

Posted by The McBain on August 8, 2003 at 2:22 PM (CDT)

I’m new to the iPod stuff… The 3rd generation iPods are simply plug and play with USB 1.1 and USB 2.0?

I’ll probably have to update the firmware before I can use USB 1.1, Right?

If I wanted to transfer files to the iPod, the download them to another computer that doesn’t have anything related to ipods or apple, would it work? On that other computer, would it recognise it as another hard drive?

USB 1.1 transfers at a maximum speed of 12Mbits/s It would take a while, but I have not rush… But then, the PCI bus can slow it down further.

Thanks a lot!!!!!!

Posted by Micahel on October 9, 2003 at 6:26 PM (CDT)