V-Moda debuts polished metal earphones | iLounge News

V-Moda debuts polished metal earphones

imageV-Moda has introduced a new collection of polished alloy metal earphones. The Remix M-class earphones offer a “comfortable, light weight and secure fit,” and provide “warm mids and crisp highs… deep yet precise bass levels (122dB at 20Hz).” They’re available in silver, pink and blue, and feature clear metallic and color cables. The Remix M-class earphones are priced at $50.

« iLuv launches iPod accessory lineup

Mix: Gigabytes, Early Show, La la Media, Tony Blair »

Comments

pretty cool i guess, but i wouldn’t enjoy putting cold pieces of metal in my ear on a cold day.

Posted by davyd on March 7, 2006 at 5:15 PM (PDT)

50 buck helllllll no! Sorry if your pay that much for your ipod just by cute headset.That SUCKS

Posted by bond2kill on March 7, 2006 at 5:35 PM (PDT)

$50!!! For that much money, I’d get better earphones, like the Creative EP-630s or I’d save up for Shure’s, Etymotic’s or Ultimate Ears’.

Posted by Nobody on March 7, 2006 at 6:26 PM (PDT)

50 bucks!!??? that crazy! and those are just like the ones that come with the ipod.

Posted by LawnBoy on March 7, 2006 at 6:48 PM (PDT)

$50 is crazy. LawnBoy is right. Why not just buy some real nice headphones for $50?

My Apple headphones are acting funky and I think I might talk to Apple and see if I can get some more. I really love the Apple iPod headphones for 2 reasons - 1) The headphones jack is straight and doesn’t have that stupid pointless little elbow thing (I HATE THAT) and 2) They’re white.

Posted by Werewolf on March 7, 2006 at 7:22 PM (PDT)

“I wonder if I could buy some Apple headphones directly from Apple…. stock up if you know what I mean. They can’t be expensive for Apple to make maybe they’re be cheap to buy too.” -Werewolf

Just to let you know you can go right onto the apple website and order a new pair of headphones any time they break. You just punch in your ipods serial number and you put they are broken. The whole process is automated and doesn’t cost you anything. I did this a while ago when my right headphone died after they slid off my desk and hit the floor. Got my new headphones in the mail in like 2 days.

Posted by TH on March 7, 2006 at 7:59 PM (PDT)

^^^ How do you do that? Where do I go to order some more headphones?

Posted by salbah3ng bata on March 7, 2006 at 11:58 PM (PDT)

lol I just did that last night. You’re right it was really easy and simple. I really love those headphones just for the plug. Does anybody know a way that I could buy extras? I checked eBay but there was only one guy selling them and he was asking like $1 for the headphones but $15 for shipping. I would only pay $15 for shipping if I had bought 15 pairs all in one package.

I can’t find any place that has them. I guess they don’t really have to be the real Apple ones, just as long as they have the straight plug and they’re not like $15 each (not including shipping lmao). I’m really not picky about sound. I hate paying like $50 for headphones when it makes pretty much no difference to me. As long as they work and sound as good as the Apple ones that’s enough to make me happy. Color doesn’t matter as long as it’s not girly.

Posted by Werewolf on March 8, 2006 at 9:15 AM (PDT)

as CEO of v-moda, I can assure you $50 is not crazy when you see and hear these.  These ARE Audiophile-quality headphones, and are made of the finest materials (metal housing, cable, midsection, and plug).

The sound quality beat out the Bang & Olufsen, Sony MDR-888LP, and every other earbud-type earphone we tested.  We hired 3 well-respected sound engineers to perfect the sound over the last year.

We also have a 30-day risk-free trial guarantee the best sound quality for any earbud-type earphone!

Posted by val kolton on March 8, 2006 at 10:54 AM (PDT)

They look pretty nice (the chrome ones. Never been a fan of the bright blue/pink/other bright colored earbuds), and may even sonud pretty nice.. but for $50, I’d rather save up a little more and get the Shure e2cs.

The 30-day trial sounds nice though.

Josh

Posted by Josh on March 9, 2006 at 7:42 AM (PDT)

Josh,

The E2Cs have great midrange, and his - but they have very little bass and are not as good for an active lifestyle when compared to Remix.

We feel Remix has even more detailed mid and hi details than the E2C, yet is ergonomic enough for everyday use.

The Shure E2C’s response curve is very flat for studio recording, but our response curve is optimized for higher bass.  Also, the E2C has a “mechanical” sounding midrange when compared to Shure’s higher end models and ours.  Shure’s higher end and all of our models have a warmer midrange.

The cable and fittings on the shure are heavy so they are not good for anything but home/studio use.  However, the noise isolation is great on the E2Cs - but it comes at an extreme cost of comfort since the noise isolation sleeves have to put great amounts of pressure on the ear canal.  Many of our test subjects complained the E2Cs are “painful” and “uncomfortable”.

After testing and owning over 200 earphones, most of us personally use the Remix for everyday use and Rock, and our upcoming in-ear models when a super bass/club sound is preferred (the ultimate for house and rap!).  The Shure E4Cs are great for studio monitors, but I personally prefer an enhanced sound stage and greater bass.

Let me know if you have any questions on a particular earphone.

Don’t you wish there was a store to try on and test-drive headphones like clothes or cars?!?!  We hope we can help everybody since we did during our “quest for the holy grail” of headphones.

Sincerely,

Val Kolton
CEO v-moda

Posted by Val Kolton on March 9, 2006 at 6:49 PM (PDT)

Whether they are good or not, I have to respect that they CEO of the manufacturer cares enough about the product to personally give his assurance to potential customers.

Just my $.02

Posted by Robert on March 9, 2006 at 7:04 PM (PDT)

How do these compare to the “Ear Thumpers” from Griffin?  Those are $20 and have some really good bass!

Posted by Steven on March 16, 2006 at 3:57 PM (PDT)

Obviously, from first sight the Griffin are not designer fashion headphones smile.  Our headphones are considered pieces of art, and represent fine design and jewelry.  The housing, y-connector, and plug are all made of a lightweight polished alloy instead of ordinary plastic.

We have found that the majority of in-ears less than $100 have a “distant” and “muddy” sound.  Most lack any clarity in the mids/his, even if they have good bass.

The Griffin has not been tested yet since we were so disappointed with their other products.  We moved upstream in our auditions, and tested audiophile and over $100 models such as the Bang & Olufsen A8, Sennheisers, Shure, and Sony MDR-888LP.  However, I will buy them and let you know ASAP since you asked!

Regards,

Val Kolton
v-moda

Posted by val kolton on March 20, 2006 at 11:51 PM (PDT)

Just received my v-moda remix earphones this week and have been listening to them for two days.  I own several sets of ear/headphones including Grado SR-125s, Shure E2Cs and a pair of UE-5cs - so my points of reference are good for comparison purposes.  I’ll tell you up front, I don’t care much what earphones look like; I care about how they sound.

These earphones are pretty amazing.  They beat the Shure EC2s hands down and are tons more comfortable.  I was amazed at what I could hear across the curve - they are so NOT like Apple earphones.  Bass response is excellent, but very balanced as opposed to the Griffin EarThumps which are hughly bass heavy and treble light (an understatement).  I would rate the overall sound quality as good as my Grados, and that’s saying something.

They are very well made and feel substantial as opposed to the plastic light of the Apple buds - and the sound is truly superior to any other bud type earphones that I have tried.  They are great everyday phones (did I say very comfortable) at a price that’s really a bargain.  Don’t throw these into the cheap ‘earbud’ basket and assume the quality is the same. If you do, you’ll be missing out on a great pair of earphones that are priced way under where they should be.  My daughter grabbed these from me, so I’m ordering another set.  Totally worth the money.

Posted by runningman on March 22, 2006 at 5:12 AM (PDT)

Based on runningman’s comments, I ordered a pair.  It doesn’t sounds like you need to waste your money on the Griffin’s, Val.

I’ll post a comment after I receive them.

Posted by Steven on March 22, 2006 at 11:20 AM (PDT)

steven, too late I ordered the Griffins and just got them minutes ago. No worries, I now have about 401 headphones haha.

trust me - v-moda sound quality is in a WHOLE other league, not even the same sport!  smile

But since I bought them, I’ll give my two cents:

Griffins - overall very ““tinny?/“can-like” sound, “echoey?, and “distorted/artifacted filled bass”.  Distant and muddy midrange.  The fittings are decent, but not as comfortable as others.

Everybody please note - we are the ONLY metal earphones on the market for less than $100 that I am aware of.  The ONLY reason we did this is because we are trying to appeal to fashion consumers as well as music enthusiasts - so we want our customers to buy multiple pairs to match different outfits, iPod cases, and styles.

Otherwise I would have priced them much higher because of the engineering and cost of metal materials required.  It is highly likely future versions will cost much more… more in-line with Audio Technica and Bang & Olufsen’s metal earphones which are around $160.

Posted by valkolton on March 22, 2006 at 2:42 PM (PDT)

I received my V-Moda Remix M-Class earphones today, even though the order on their website says that they have yet to ship.  I paid $65 for the express delivery and received them in 3 days (I ordered @ 1PM on the 21st and received them today, the 24th).  The packaging is nice, the earphones look fantastic, and feel very solid - because they are metal and not plastic.

They are better looking earphones than either the Apple earbuds or my Griffin “Ear Thumps”.... but how do they SOUND?

Let’s find out…

I dug out my old Apple earbuds, so that I could compare 3 different earphones.  After looking through the available music selection on my iPod nano, I found Rush’s Tom Sawyer and YYZ.  Sounded like a good idea to me, so I listened to them with the Apple earbuds.

Result: Hrm. Not so good.  Almost no bass. mushy midrange. No definition in the high range. No wonder I was so happy to receive the Griffin “Ear Thumps” (They were a very much appreciated Christmas gift).

Unable to stop myself any longer, I immediately listened to the songs with the V-Moda earphones.

Result: Ok, now THIS is good stuff.  Mid and high range are great.  Bass is not what I’m used to (I’ll get to that in a minute), but the SOUND is GREAT.

Ok, time for my trusty Griffin “Ear Thumps”.  I’ve been listening to music with these for a few months, so my ears have gotten used to the (at first) uncomfortable feeling of having something shoved into the ear canal. I fit them to my ears (they seal nicely with the medium sized silicone inserts) and listened to the songs.

Result: Loud. Bass.  LOUD BASS!  I can’t believe how much more bass the “Ear Thumps” deliver than either the stock Apple earbuds or the V-Moda earphones.  They are also MUCH louder, thanks to their ability to seal my ear canal.  They aren’t as good sounding, though.  Especially the high range. They also bring you “closer” to the sound.

End Result:
Audiophile quality? Sure, why not? I don’t have $300 to waste on top shelf earphones, and I doubt that they’d sound much better than the V-Moda earphones anyways.  They look awesome, sound great, and are very sturdy.  What more can I ask for?  I’m glad I asked… smile

My Request:
If V-Moda would create an in-ear earphone that would provide more bass and noise cancellation, along with the same smooth mid and crisp high range that the Remix M-class earphones deliver, I’d be much obliged to part with some more money.  Until then, I’ll probably go with the V-Moda Remix M-class earphones, because I truly appreciate their enhanced mid and high range sound, and I just spent $65 for them.  And did I mention that they look great?

-Steven

Posted by Steven on March 24, 2006 at 5:51 PM (PDT)

Glad to see you are happy Steven, as many people have mentioned we designed Remix to be a great everyday and physical activity headphone,  and of course more mid/hi details and bass than other earbud-type earphones.

So far we have had nothing but rave reviews from our customers - 10% of our customers actually have taken the time to write to us about their positive experiences which is unreal.  About the same amount have ordered a second pair already!

This is what we are all about, quality that exceeds even the largest audio companies, yet being a part of the music community and listening to our customers.

On your requests Steven, I’ll see to it that we someday release a COMPLEMENTORY product to Remix that meets your demands and has “unreal” bass freq levels…  But trust me on this - all of our products will never cause buyers remorse.  They all have a unique sound stage and design that we have defined beforehand.

The entire modaphones collection will complement each other so you’re guaranteed to love each one for different genres of music, activities, colors, materials, and style.

ps - Radiohead and Red Hot Chili Peppers was what we used to sculpt Remix’s response curve

alright rockers, i’m rollin out…

val
ceo v-moda

Posted by val kolton on March 25, 2006 at 9:58 AM (PDT)