Veoh offers over 3,000 videos for new iPods | iLounge News

Veoh offers over 3,000 videos for new iPods

Veoh Networks today announced that more than 3,000 videos are now available for downloading and transferring to the new video-enabled iPods using the company’s software.

“Veoh software, installed on a consumer’s PC or Mac, creates a virtual television network able to distribute TV-quality, full-screen video to hundreds of millions of users with broadband connections,” explains the company. “Motion picture studios, television networks, organizations and individuals can publish unlimited amounts of video content to the network, providing consumers with unparalleled choice in television programming and control over their viewing experience.”

Example content includes “Superman and Popeye, to comedies like The Three Stooges, feature-length films, and more than 10,000 user-produced videos on every subject imaginable.”

« Software update fixes iPod shuffle bugs

PodGear offers black PocketParty for iPod nano »

Comments

I visited the website and checked out the online presentation.
How does this company make money?

Posted by Congo Billy on November 30, 2005 at 3:23 PM (CST)

Possibly selling the information they gather by having us download their videos? Consumer information is pretty valuable it seems.

Posted by The Dave on November 30, 2005 at 4:08 PM (CST)

Veoh will make money by allowing publishers to charge for their content (an veoh will take a percentage), or by allowing publishers to give away their content, and share in advertising revenue (placing TV commercials on the content).

Let me know if you have any other questions…
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Dmitry Shapiro
CEO
Veoh Networks, Inc.

Posted by Dmitry Shapiro on November 30, 2005 at 6:18 PM (CST)

I just get a message saying “Functionality unavailable while offline” ?

Posted by Michael Olenick on November 30, 2005 at 7:33 PM (CST)

Thanks for the explanation, Dmitry.
I think this is an idea with potential; especially because it will allow for plenty of freedom of expression - something that the feds are trying to erode.
I give the concept, a thumbs up!

Posted by Congo Billy on November 30, 2005 at 8:17 PM (CST)

I got the “Functionality unavailable…” too when I know I was online.  Then the program just hanged.  I was curious about it but I just have to uninstall the program.  Won’t be back there unless there’s a certainty that it works.

Posted by J C on December 1, 2005 at 12:28 AM (CST)

Veoh sucks big balls. It takes way to long to load the installation, way too long to move about the browser and all the stuff is way hard to find. the search button doesnt work so you have to spend about a minute(on a cable modem)to move from one page to another. I havent downloaded anything ipod playable yet because all i have found from the first 11 pages of videos was home-made crap from stupid newbs that dont know what to make videos about. i cant even find p0rn. this sucks. i wouldnt try it.

Posted by Ryan on December 1, 2005 at 12:44 AM (CST)

Even at 9PM Hawaii time, when all of you mainlanders should be asleep, I can barely get this app to work.  Not ready for prime-time, IMO.  If the program would just give some feedback, like “standy”, or “loading video”, or even an hourglass.  I get nothing but a click (sometimes), then everything appears to lock up.

Posted by Steve on December 1, 2005 at 2:10 AM (CST)

It works but it is very slow and choppy. Nothing I’ve tried to DL has yet. Very little is ipod ready,which I thought was the point of this.
There is no ‘home’ button so when you are pages deep trying to find something you have to hit ‘back’ over and over.
All this is is a video podcasting app where 90% of the content isn’t ipod format.

Posted by homescoop on December 1, 2005 at 4:31 AM (CST)

sounds like a hit!

Posted by OMGWTFSTFU on December 1, 2005 at 10:19 AM (CST)

I downloaded no problem and managed to view the content pages, a little slow .

I agree with others that there should be something on screen which tells you you are downloading etc, because it does give you the impression that nothings happening.

I don’t entirely agree about the content though. I selected 6 different movie trailers which are in the ipod ready section, they downloaded fine all are between 5 and 18 mb for 3 6 mins.
This is where I have become unstuck, I can imprt them into Itunes no probs, but the sound is dodgy on a couple. Howeever when I try to click and drag the content into the 5g iPod, message pops up telling me I need to upgrade quicktime as some of this type of movie not compatible. I have even ran the content through Cucosoft my video content to ipod converter , ( which ordinarily work fine even for DVD’s) , but to no avail. There isn’t a very user friemdly help line only FAQ’s,though I havent contacted them via e mail yet.

Posted by tiggg on December 4, 2005 at 5:55 PM (CST)