Verizon: 60% of iPhone sales online, confident in Apple’s LTE plans
Speaking in a recent interview, Verizon Wireless CEO Daniel Mead made several comments regarding the iPhone and Apple’s future plans to support its 4G Long Term Evolution (LTE) network. As reported by the Wall Street Journal, Mead said that although the company won’t be revealing exact iPhone sales numbers until its next earnings release, reports that sales fell below expectations were incorrect, and that the modest lines seen at stores on launch day were attributable to the company’s staggered launch strategy. “It was a conscious decision to spread the launch over three phases,” said Mead, who added that the launch was staggered in order to ensure the best possible purchasing experience for customers. He also said that more than 60 percent of iPhone 4 sales occurred online, helping to explain shorter-than-expected launch day lines. “If we had not done online, you would have seen a much different flow in the pictures,” he said, adding that the company will soon be doubling the number of stores that sell the iPhone from 4,000 to 8,000.
Regarding Apple’s support for Verizon Wireless’ new 4G LTE network, Mead said he expects Apple to offer devices compatible with the technology, although he declined to give details as to what those products might be or when they might be released. “You’ll see more coming from Apple on LTE,” Mead said. “They understand the value proposition of LTE and I feel very confident that they are going to be a part of it.” Apple is widely expected to include support for Verizon Wireless service in at least one model of its upcoming second-generation iPad, although it is unknown whether that support will be limited to the company’s more widely-available 3G network.
- Apple releases iOS 8.4 beta to developers, with new Music app
- Sprint, UK’s EE add Wi-Fi calling with iOS 8.3
- Apple releases iOS 8.3, iCloud Photo Library comes out of beta
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Details of Apple Watch’s heart monitor, limitations released
- Apple releases its 2015 Environmental Responsibility Report
- iLounge Weekly arrives on Monday, subscribe now
- Apple Pay coming to Canada later this year?
- Report: Apple being uncooperative with antitrust monitor
- Leaked cases may hint at ‘iPad Pro’ design details
- L.A. school district seeking restitution over failed iPad program (Updated)
- Apple partners with The Conservation Fund to protect U.S. working forests
- In-store sales of Apple Watch delayed until at least June
- Apple adds WWDC scholarships to promote diversity
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?