Verizon attacks iPhone with new ‘Droid’ campaign | iLounge News

Verizon attacks iPhone with new ‘Droid’ campaign

image

Verizon has launched a new TV ad campaign and matching website for its upcoming “Droid” Android phone, directly attacking the iPhone using a list of features that are unavailable on Apple’s handset but which will be available on Verizon’s upcoming device. The ad uses an Apple-like presentation of text on a plain white background with upbeat music playing in the background, beginning each statement with “iDon’t.” Examples used in the commercial include “iDon’t have a real keyboard,” “iDon’t run simultaneous apps,” “iDon’t allow open development,” and “iDon’t have interchangeable batteries.” The commercial ends with the slogan “Droid Does,” and notably does not feature the Verizon logo. The commercial can be viewed in embedded form below.

« Mix: AAPL Q4, Facebook, Mozilla, Loopt Mix

EA releases Rock Band for iPhone, iPod touch »

Comments

Simple and effective.

Google plays their cards right with Android and the iPhone is going to become the Macintosh of the smart phone market in short order (loyal following, highly profitable, sometimes inspiring features for other platforms, but, ultimately and functionally, insignificant in the big picture). It’s too closed, too wussy on pushing features, and, with only a bit over 10% of the market right now, its long term success is nowhere close to a sure thing.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on October 19, 2009 at 7:17 AM (PDT)

I don’t think this bodes well for the possibility of an iPhone on Verizon’s network in 2010.

Verizon’s previous “app” commercial poked fun at AT&T’s 3G network coverage, but largely spared Apple of any venom. This new commercial, however, goes right at the boys in Cupertino. I have to wonder if Verizon’s negotiations with Apple have stalled or have been broken off.

Though I haven’t had any hands-on experience with an Android-powered cell phone, what I’ve read in tech blogs and mainstream media hasn’t impressed me very much. I think Android has some potential, but whether that potential is fully realized remains to be seen.

In the long run, I think competition is good for Apple, as it will force the company to continue innovating, but I’m concerned that Apple is staying with a one-carrier model for U.S. iPhone distribution, unlike in many other countries.

Posted by cchanpsu on October 19, 2009 at 7:28 AM (PDT)

Ever since Gruber blogged about this ad I can’t stop laughing every time I see it.  Sometimes Verizon uses straight primes in “don’t” and sometimes they use proper apostrophes.  Verizon not only gets it wrong, they aren’t even consistently wrong.  Nevertheless, it would be nice for the iPhone to get some competition.

Posted by Michael in CA on October 19, 2009 at 7:37 AM (PDT)

Well, one has to remember, the primary reason why Apple chose not to go with Verizon and ultimately was able to negotiate with ATT was the amount of control ATT was able to cede to Apple in terms of the kinds of capabilities the iPhone would be able to have on ATTs network.  Verizon balked at the idea of ceding that much control, if any.  Verizon might have the best “overall” network coverage, but they also love to nickle-and-dime their customers.  We’ll see how that shakes out…

Posted by Don Funk on October 19, 2009 at 7:43 AM (PDT)

If #3 hadn’t pointed out the insignificant type setting difference, I never would have noticed and I’ll bet that goes for 99% of the people who see the add.

As for getting it wrong, exactly what part is wrong? There’s no real keyboard, there’s no multi-threaded processing of apps, the camera is indeed limited just like is claimed (whether that matters is a whole other issue, but the statements are factually correct), you have to jail break to customize, the widget thing falls victim to a semantic argument, but as a multi-tasked mini-app constantly running, what *most* would call a widget, nope, not on iPhone, definitely no open development, and the batteries aren’t swappable. It is a spot on critique of limitations of the iPhone platform that not everybody wants to put up with.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on October 19, 2009 at 7:56 AM (PDT)

“There’s no real keyboard”? As if there was a definition of what a “real keyboard” should be.

Posted by Danny on October 19, 2009 at 9:09 AM (PDT)

@6: Most people prefer tactile keyboards, this isn’t up for debate. Apple took a big risk going against consumer opinion.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on October 19, 2009 at 9:21 AM (PDT)

Nice ad. I guess we’ll find out in November how good droid is or isn’t. Hopefully this will spur some new & better improvements in the iPhone/touch platform.

Will droid have sd card slot?

Posted by Xing on October 19, 2009 at 9:39 AM (PDT)

@7:  I happen to hate tactile keyboards on phones and it IS up for debate.  To this day, I have not seen any data “overwhelmingly” favoring physical over virtual keyboards.  I happen to type faster and more accurate on an iPhone than I ever have on a BB or Treo.  Apple always takes risks like these.  Remember when they got rid of floppy drives?  People whined about it for two years before it finally died down.  I’m tired of hearing that the iPhone’s lack of a physical keyboard is a negative.  It has ALWAYS been a positive as far as I’m concerned.

Posted by Marcus on October 19, 2009 at 11:35 AM (PDT)

I agree with @7 and Marcus. To say that a “real” keyboard must be tactile (mechanical) is assumptive and not factual; it’s an individual choice. I choose the iPhone’s virtual keyboard and it’s certainly real to me.

Posted by RNB in Bakersfield, CA on October 19, 2009 at 12:22 PM (PDT)

I’m not opposed to the idea of a tactile keyboard on a cell phone versus Apple’s virtual keyboard, but I haven’t really encountered one that I like. I’ve never been a fan of slider-style keyboards like the Palm Pre, nor have I been enamored with those offered on the Blackberries. To me, the keys are either too small or the phone winds up being too thick.

The iPhone’s keyboard isn’t perfect, but I find it much better than the alternatives.

Posted by cchanpsu on October 19, 2009 at 12:32 PM (PDT)

I have used Blackberries and iPhones. I greatly prefer the virtual keyboard of the iPhone. At first it was a bit awkward. But after using it for a few weeks I was zipping through emails, text, web addresses much faster than I ever had on a BB.

I am not saying that the Verizon add was wrong. As stated in #5, the commercial is “spot on” it it’s claims. Now, whether any of these facts is a negative to users IS certainly up for debate. I like my closed Apple platform (both iPhone and Mac products). This gives me a generally greater sense of security and Quality Control.

Posted by Mitch on October 19, 2009 at 1:23 PM (PDT)

It definitely does have the Verizon logo.  Pause it at 0:30 in and it is hidden, but there is a distinct check mark logo which looks like discoloration on the stone-ish background.

Posted by Dan on October 19, 2009 at 1:39 PM (PDT)

@7 “Apple took a big risk going against consumer opinion.”

My friend, that’s called i-n-n-o-v-a-t-i-o-n.  The fact that almost all cellphone manufacturers, including the Motorola Droid, has designed cellphones with a “virtual” keyboard shows that consumer opinion doesn’t mean it has to be one thing or another.

Posted by Don Funk on October 19, 2009 at 1:43 PM (PDT)

Got to agree with @6 and all the people who think keyboard preference is up to individual choice and personal experience. I, personally, LOVE iPhone’s virtual keyboard.

Posted by Mel on October 19, 2009 at 2:33 PM (PDT)

I can’t believe that after 2+ years there is still a debate over virtual keyboards going on. Of course, in this case it’s Verizon’s marketing department resuscitating that debate. It’s quite apparent that millions aren’t bothered by the lack of a “real keyboard”, but maybe just mentioning it will sell a few units.

Regardless- iDont… care.

Posted by Jordan on October 19, 2009 at 7:29 PM (PDT)

I’m disapointed that Verizon even try to go with a “keyboard” as tactic.. lol…. i love my virtual keyboard, it’s easy to type on, quick because u do not have to push down a button - all u do is touch, multiply caracters are available on screen by simple leave finger for a sec on a touch button.

I love the iPhone! sure it needs a few tics and tacs and ATT needs to get their heads out of the sand. but the iPhone is the best and customer friendliest device out there.

Posted by dennis on October 20, 2009 at 6:15 AM (PDT)

“iDon’t…have a contract with Apple for the iPhone but desperately want one.”

An ironic commerical as VZW tries to get Apple to dump its exclusive contract with AT&T and get the iPhone themselves.

Posted by Dale on October 20, 2009 at 6:28 AM (PDT)

I feel the same as everyone else commenting in favor of the “not real” keyboard of the iPhone.  If the keyboard isn’t “real”, how is one able to type at all on the iPhone?  Hey, can your “real” keyboard change depending on which way you’re holding your device?  iDon’t think so.  Verizon (or whomever is behind this ad) is using negative advertising (bashing one’s competition to try and elevate their product over another’s) which is something I really despise.  To me it means they really can’t develop a product that’s better and let it stand on it’s own, much like the iPhone has, and compete on it’s own merits.  The iPhone isn’t perfect but it’s by far the coolest device I have ever used and it keeps getting better.  I am all for friendly competition, though.  It keeps everyone honest and the innovations flowing.

Posted by jkoz73 on October 20, 2009 at 6:45 AM (PDT)

Time and time again the virtual versus tactile keyboard question comes up. The take away is the industry is spending a lot of money in perfecting gaining tactile feedback for virtual keyboards. Plenty of posters answer they will not consider a device without a tactile keyboard, the converse stance never comes up.

In other words, sure, plenty are perfectly happy with virtual keyboards, many even prefer them over whatever physical based keyboard they used before, that doesn’t alter the general market opinion wherein some significant percentage of consumers simply will not buy a device with a non-tactile keyboard compared to evidently zero percent of the market that will not buy a device without a virtual keyboard. It doesn’t matter if this is an informed opinion or not, it’s a real demographic that Verizon can reach by this ad campaign. Stop working so hard to explain away everything that doesn’t come with an Apple logo.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on October 20, 2009 at 7:11 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >