Verizon CEO: Suggestion of iPhone success a ‘conspiracy’ | iLounge News

Verizon CEO: Suggestion of iPhone success a ‘conspiracy’

In an interview with the Financial Times, Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg has referred to the press’ suggestion that Apple’s iPhone 3G handset will see widespread success a “conspiracy.” Seidenberg described Apple as a “great company,” while pointing out its currently small share of global handset sales, and scoffing at the suggestion that the iPhone 3G’s lower subsidized pricing will help it gain mass-market acceptance. “There goes the conspiracy again,” he said. “You’re declaring them a winner before they’ve earned it on the field.” He also said that Apple CEO Steve Jobs has no monopoly on innovation, while describing how advanced mobile handsets could cause problems for other companies’ business models. “It’s very cool. And Steve Jobs eventually will get old . . . I like our chances.” Verizon recently announced a deal to buy Alltel for $28.1 billion, a move that will make it the largest US mobile company with more than 80 million customers. Seidenberg’s comments follow an incident in which a radio DJ staged a smashing of his iPhone, only to receive a call from Sprint CEO Dan Hesse moments later, who said “that was music to my ears.” The DJ’s destruction of the iPhone allegedly was “bought” by Sprint to promote a competing phone.

« XtremeMac acquired by Imation

Apple files fraud, trademark suit against iPod Mechanic »

Comments

Wow.. all these people are just evil idiots jealous of the iPhone’s giant success, and mad it’s not on their company. I’m sure if the iPhone was on Verizon, he’d be saying the complete opposite of all his comments.

I’m guessing the competing phone was the Instinct? Let’s see that get 10 million sales in 2008. (Based on analyst predictions of 2008 iPhone 3G sales)

Posted by Austin on June 27, 2008 at 5:38 PM (CDT)

Hah… hah…. Ivan’s intelligence is the conspiracy here.

Posted by Bob on June 27, 2008 at 5:46 PM (CDT)

Whah whah whah.

iPhone cutting into someones greedy bottom line?

Posted by ruindpzzle on June 27, 2008 at 6:08 PM (CDT)

Speaking of the Instinct…got to play with it this weekend.  Granted it is a little smaller than an iPhone and has a nicer camera, but otherwise the UI was a bit confusing and the the touch screen was really not very sensitive.  It took several attempts to get things to register and also to find my way around.  Their network might be faster than my EDGE connection, but browsing the web was not very smooth that’s for sure.  So although it might be a sleek phone, it has no real appeal for me.  Its also not a phone that would make people think about switching from a different carrier to get like the iPhone does.

Basically that is what is so amazing about the iPhone…people will switch carriers just to get it.  No one is jumping from Sprint or AT&T to get the Voyager and no one is going from Verizon or AT&T to get the Instinct, but people are DEFINITELY leaving Verizon and Sprint to get the iPhone…I know I did.

Posted by TosaDeac on June 27, 2008 at 6:08 PM (CDT)

Didn’t Apple go to Verizon first with the idea of the iPhone?

They’re probably just sore that they missed out in exactly the same way that Digital Research missed out on the IBM PC.

They’re probably also sore that the Samsung Glide is crap compared to the HTC Diamond Touch, which is sub-par compared to the iPhone.

Posted by Dan Woods on June 27, 2008 at 6:16 PM (CDT)

Yea the iphone kicks ass but the airtime tie down needs to get kicked out… apple are way greedy too…...

Posted by laughingbuddha on June 27, 2008 at 8:05 PM (CDT)

Wow, a CEO throwing around the word conspiracy. Pitiful.  People use that explanation when there are events that are too complex, unforeseen, or incomprehensible. It’s a word that conveys desperation and hardly fitting language from a CEO. And smashing an iPhone on the air?  Come on….

All of this hubbub over a little competition!

Posted by RCB on June 28, 2008 at 8:31 AM (CDT)

One of the first southern words I’ve learned when I moved to georgia/ U.S. was “hater” ... let me hit him with that word ... lol

Apple just brought out their 2nd device. I think if you look around and see what Verizon/ Motorola/ Sony brought out so far then you can laugh.

I’m sure there are many devices by other manufactured which are pretty good. I’m sure that noone copied the idea of a touch screen on a cellphone from apple.

I’m sure it was a coincident that verizon and other all of a sudden bring out cellphones with touchscreens, after apple brought it out.

the technology is not new, it’s been around but noone jumped on it to use it aon a cellphone. now here is apple, brining out their 1st. iPhone, there are a few issues with it but i’m sure that over time apple will address them in a correct maner.

I had a motorola MPX220 with windows and 1GB storage on it. I loved it (even when it crashed all the time >> its still windows ,lol)

I got the iPhone and will get me the new one when it comes out. I love how easy it is to use. to be honest my company gave us all motorolas razors and ... i’m not used to all the buttons .. lol
i get around but i guess u can call me spoiled ;)

well,.. apple did good so far and im looking forward to the future..

Posted by dennis on June 28, 2008 at 8:53 AM (CDT)

i understand when people talk about a company beeing greedy.
when theiPhone came out with this huge price of $499 and $599, i was first shocked and i still thought to get it.

then it droped to $299 when i bought it. now the price for $199 or $299, i think that is a very attractive price for a device like it is.

and don’t forget, no other deive can have software updates that add features and functionality like the iPhone.

if I would be a CEO at verizion/motorola/ an other, i would s*** in my pants when the iPhone came out… lol

Posted by dennis on June 28, 2008 at 9:02 AM (CDT)

Its amusing what other companies will say/do when they are feeling the pressure from outside. To me both the CEO’s antics make them look a little desperate.

Posted by Brandon on June 28, 2008 at 11:33 AM (CDT)

very ironic…  Steve Jobs went to Verizon first, but Verizon laughed at Apple and pointed to the first Motorola Rokr as a failure and the reason why Verizon did not want to work with Apple.  So, Jobs took it to at&t and bam…  the rest is history.

Verizon can keep their holes shut.  it’s all bitter grapes for the other carriers.  look at the numerous of iPhone rip offs from both outdated technology carriers (CDMA-based) Verizon and Sprint.  it’s all just bitter grapes, especially for Verizon who turned down Steve Jobs the first time.

Posted by phongsta on June 28, 2008 at 12:58 PM (CDT)

verizon is the most greedy worthless carrier of all us carriers.  The CEO can drop dead and take his company with him.

Posted by mike on June 28, 2008 at 3:25 PM (CDT)

Yes, Ivan the whole world is against you.  Why don’t you complain some more and see if that boosts your sales.  What a joke, a company like Apple, with less than 10% of the computer market share, is going to all of a sudden develop the power and influence to create a global conspiracy centered around the success of a cell phone.

Posted by Greg K on June 28, 2008 at 3:53 PM (CDT)

Verizon Wireless, about 66 percent owned by monopolistic Verizon and 45 percent by Vodaphone is the worst advocate for consumers welfare.
Its CEO ought to look into his company’s practices first, how he locks customers into Propriety software which only serves the co.
It is regrettable that this behemoth was allowed by the Feds to swallow another US company….
Customers will be best served when Verizon Wireless is monopoly is shattered to smaller companies that put the customers interest first.

Posted by Wilhem Weierstasse on June 28, 2008 at 6:09 PM (CDT)

My contract with Verizon ends in October, and will not be renewed.  I’ve had no issues with quality of service, dropped calls, although my RAZR has been a battery beast (even with replacement and firmware update) for over a year.  I’ve got two issues with Verizon.  The first is that they don’t have the iPhone.  I want one…it’s the perfect convergent device for me.  The phones they offer with similar capacities still leave me wanting more, such as the ability to interface with iTunes (VERY important) as well as having the safari browser.  The second is that Verizon has locked its phones in the past to cause you to use their services.  For example, on my RAZR, you cannot connect to the phone via USB or Bluetooth to add/copy pictures or ring tones.  The phone is VERY capable of doing this…and there are hacks to allow it to do so.  But why cripple a phone just so you can collect the $.25 per photo shared or whatever the cost of a ring tone is?  THAT is a conspiracy.

They’ve been calling me for months now, as well as sending regular mailings hoping that I’ll upgrade to some other phone (latest attempts have been the Voyager, some Palm devices, and some Blackberries).  They might even be good phones…but how has Verizon crippled them to fit into their financial schemes, and why can’t they understand that these devices do NOT really compete with an iPhone (although the iPhone can compete with those devices)?

Posted by Choirguy on June 30, 2008 at 12:47 AM (CDT)

all companies are out for profit, let’s not forget this. But there are companies who come through with a ofer/device where you just can’t resist. the iPhone is one of them.

I started working on a Apple system 10 years ago and i’ve kind of missed the first few generations of iPod’s. The iPhone, well.. i waited for 8 month before it came out. I heared rumors and i did not renew my cellphone contract for 14 month. i waited and went on a month to month base.

I see my co-worker having a blackberry which sync. with their e-mail and it looks like they like it (company issued device ;) ).

I remember when i moved to the U.S., i went to the verizon store and they wanted a $1000 security deposit because i did not have any credit history.

ATT&T hooked me up over my grandma’s cellphone plan, they just added my to her plan. Even when i got out to my own plan they rolled over my 3000 rollover minutes, even when they not supossed to.

so ATT&T has been good to me. yes, here and there I hated the slow EDGE network but it’s getting better now. and YES, here in columbus geworgia we are the 3rd city with 3G network….. ;-)

Posted by dennis on June 30, 2008 at 7:38 AM (CDT)

Hi,

I am a product manager at Kensington (no relevance to the post).

I’ve been (and still am) a loyal Verizon customer for 10 years, back when they used to be GTE.  To be honest, I’ve been very satisfied with their service all these years.  My phone seems to get great coverage no matter where I go, pricing plans have been very competitive, and customer service has been excellent.

However, this 3G iPhone will be the turning point in which I will finally make the switch to AT&T.  Though the monthly plans are expensive, the features of the iPhone are so compelling that I’m certain I will get my $$ worth.

I’m sure Verizon will experience an impact on their subscriber base starting July 11th.  It’ll be interesting to see whether they made a huge boo boo when the sales numbers are released.

Thanks.

Kevin Ngo

Posted by Kevin Ngo (Product Manager - Kensington) on June 30, 2008 at 6:46 PM (CDT)

I think the CEO is right. As the iPhone 3G is not yet released, so for now the success is more fiction than reality. we have to wait to see whether 3G is a sucess story.

Other Main reason, it is the Network.

Posted by suren on July 2, 2008 at 6:44 PM (CDT)

My experience with transferring my Cox cable account to Verizon’s FiOS has been a complete disaster. Their internal phone system (customer care, tech, order status, rescheduling, etc) is as useless as git-go. Their scheduling is backwards, the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. Right now my phone service is cut-off due to their mismanagement and my backyard drain system has been damaged by their trenching sub-contractor. Caveat Emptor!

Posted by Qing Lee on July 2, 2008 at 11:03 PM (CDT)