Verizon CEO: We will benefit from iPhone | iLounge News

Verizon CEO: We will benefit from iPhone

Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg has stated that he doesn’t think the company needs to immediately respond to the iPhone. Speaking at the NXTcomm trade show in Chicago, Seidenberg said, “The way we come at this is to let the iPhone hit the market.” He continued, “I don’t think it changes the game plan for how we approach the market. But we need to see the impact. The burden is on (AT&T and Apple) to prove the market will change.” Seinberg also said that he thinks the iPhone may be able to spark new business across the industry. “The iPhone will add excitement and stimulation to the market,” he added. “If we have done our job, then we will be a beneficiary. I hope it does reasonably well.”

« AT&T doc details iPhone launch

Apple adds iPhone sensor, dock, YouTube details to site »

Comments

I’m uncertain how, in a market already virtually ubiquitous, VZW will benefit. It’s not as if apple/att’s introduction to the market is going to create a whole new slew of subscribers/customers, and therefore raise awareness/create a broader market, thereby allowing verizon to catch some of the overflow…virtually everyone (in the u.s.) already HAS a cell phone. Apple/ATT are going to be getting primarily people DROPPING other service, or at least existing cingular subscribers going with a new phone for their current service.

Posted by OnlyShawn on June 20, 2007 at 5:43 PM (CDT)

I’m reminded of the South Park police chief, Officer Barbrady, saying “move along, nothing to see here”, as the cows are abducted or stampeding, or whatever the hell, behind him.

Posted by OnlyShawn on June 20, 2007 at 5:44 PM (CDT)

what the heck is UP with the commenting?? It will virtually never allow me to comment…I keep getting the “unable to accept comments at this time” message.  Clipping out some of the response allowed me to get the above in….

Posted by OnlyShawn on June 20, 2007 at 5:45 PM (CDT)

WTF? Wow I agree with the South Park comment. This dude is scare Sh@tless right now. I’m a verizon customer and I have 6 months till my contract is up. Verizon you’d better start thinking hard now! And No, not on way to further disable my phone so I can’t use it with my Mac.

Posted by Paulamir on June 20, 2007 at 6:29 PM (CDT)

hmm i think he is saying this, because their new phones with 3g (meant to go against the iPhone) are vbanned from the US.

Posted by zerock on June 20, 2007 at 6:33 PM (CDT)

I am interested to see how the phone will play out here in Europe as rumor has it, most of the operators will not give in to Apple’s demands. Being that the markets are much more mature here in terms of mobile phone usage, Apple simply can not walk in and expect the operators to roll over. Besides, Apple knows that with HSDPA rolling out and 3G already spread across Europe and most other parts of the world, the current version iPhone is basically useless and a non-starter.

Posted by Don Trammell on June 20, 2007 at 8:55 PM (CDT)

I pay $98/mo. with unlimited data with Verizon Wireless. My 2-year contract with them is over and I will go with AT&T/Cingular just for the iPhone. Verizon Wireless has messed up dearly this time. They clearly think their Vcast market will outshine Apple’s iTunes? I don’t think so. Verizon Wireless will have to think of some clever marketing soon to keep other subscribers from jumping the fence.

Posted by mokeiko on June 20, 2007 at 8:55 PM (CDT)

Luckily, my Verizon plan is also just now finished. Verizon, you are a fool for not working with Apple on this one. I think this will be one of their biggest mistakes ever. It may cripple them even worse than their phones. Hello, AT&T!

Posted by ST0RMC00PER on June 20, 2007 at 9:14 PM (CDT)

Actually I think the Verizon guy makes perfect sense.  If the iPhone is a success, then people will wake up to the idea that smartphones are better than regular phones and move more toward fuller-featured and data-carrying phones and away from damn RAZRs.  :)

Anyway, when the market shifts toward data-driven phones, most will stay with whatever network is best in their area and try to get the coolest phone they can on that network.

I’m in coastal CT and AT&T coverage sucks around here, so no matter how cool the 2G iPhone is, it will be slow like molasses.

Posted by malren on June 20, 2007 at 9:51 PM (CDT)

AT&T will get a “push” by the iphone, specifically, it will get a “push” by users joining AT&T demanding better cellphone connectivity. How AT&T responds will determine whether this iphone will help the company expand. If they don’t improve their connectivity, it will only enforce the AT&T brand of dropped calls and non members would just wait and hope for the day the iphone is no longer an exclusive, if they do improve their connectivity, not only would more non members join, but AT&T doesn’t have to worry about the day when the iphone is no longer an AT&T exclusive because the company can be confident that the people who joined just for the iphone wouldnt switch to Verizon because of the service, at least in terms of dropped calls anyway, not about plans or something else.

Posted by seagull on June 21, 2007 at 2:16 AM (CDT)

No, all that would happen is people would go “Gee, Apple makes a great cellphone!” It would be like the iPod all over again. Most people would just keep buying the newer iPhones, although I’m sure there would be a few who would go with another phone/carrier, but that would most likely be those who already know much about cellphones, etc.

Posted by Gecko on June 21, 2007 at 9:11 AM (CDT)

my problem is that at&t and cingular service just flat out sucks.  i used them two years ago, and receive horrible service—both phone and customer service wise.  while I hate the lock that verizon has on it’s phone, it’s service, for me, has been flawless.  and because of that, i’ll stay on verizon.  i’m not going to switch to at&t for a cool phone on a ****** network.

Posted by schiano on June 22, 2007 at 10:39 AM (CDT)

I live for future gadgets. The iphone is way beyond just a communication tool, it lets you talk to people, surf the web, get directions, search directory listing, watch videos, listen to music, view attachment, visual voicemail (first of its kind). Its a do it all gadget we all have been waiting for.
Yes it is espensive but add all my gadgets that do all of the above individually, iphone is def cheaper then that. Plus on verison i am paying $99 + tax for my cell service, data plan and that does not even give me 30% of the features iphone will. At&T has a similar plan to it.

Verizon def messed up on this one. If they do not come out with a compatible product within 6 months when my contract it up. I am going to switch to At&t.

Posted by pshah on June 28, 2007 at 10:48 AM (CDT)

The Verizon Exec is completely oblivious to what the iPhone is all about—the interface. Nobody has the creativity, simplicity, and intuitive ideas like Apple does.

First, my bet is 3G, 40 or 80 gig hard disk, spreadsheet, Quicken Lite, GPS are just around the corner.

It doesn’t matter what Verizon does. Just as most chose the iPod for their music player, so will it eventually be for those that want a hand held computer. They will go with Apple.

You bet the Verizon CEO is scared. It wouldn’t surprise me if this guy was toast in the not to distant future.

Posted by One more voice on June 28, 2007 at 5:13 PM (CDT)

Ive been a verizon wireless customer since 96 when it was called airtouch…i just cancelled my contract for $175 for an iphone because i needed a new ipod anyways

Posted by payaso27 on June 30, 2007 at 8:09 PM (CDT)

What do you expect Verizon’s CEO to say publicly? If he shows the slightest bit of concern, his stock will fall severely and he’ll be fired. He’s got no choice but to put a positive spin on it.

The reality is, he IS scared. He should be. verizon has been unresponsive to customer needs for way too long. The disabling of OBEX features on the Razr is a prime example.

I have 3 phones on Verizon and just ordered an iPhone. When it arrives I will pay a termination fee on every one of my phones to switch. Is it worth it to me? Yes. Is it worth it to Verizon? Hardly. They end up with an extra 2 months of phone bill from me and lose me forever. Bad business plan on their part. The $175 is a deterrent for people to switch. They lose much more than the $175 they gain.

Posted by NavyWings on July 1, 2007 at 11:31 PM (CDT)

Think they don’t need up-to-date phones just because they have reliable service made me sick. I will gladly sacrifice a bit of connectivity for iPhone which blows every other phone verizone has. Cancelled 2 lines I had with verizon in a heart beat.  Verizon made a critical mistake this time, because it’s not just about phone. When it’s time for iPod owners to change or update their iPod, they will seriously consider about iPhone, since they do not want to carry around 2 devices. And how many people have iPod?

Posted by kevin on July 14, 2007 at 7:47 AM (CDT)