Verizon COO: iPhone response coming ‘late summer’ | iLounge News

Verizon COO: iPhone response coming ‘late summer’

Speaking with USA Today regarding the company’s decision to pass on becoming the iPhone’s exclusive U.S. distributor, Verizon Chief Operating Officer Denny Strigl claims it has an answer to the iPhone waiting in the wings. “We do have a very good response in the mill,” Strigl claimed. “You’ll see that from us in the late summer.” In addition, Stigl believes that the fate of the iPhone rests more with AT&T’s network than with the handset. “The issue is not the Apple-ness of the iPhone itself, but with the cellular network that it is running on,” he stated. “That will be the true test of the iPhone: What will the iPhone experience be?” As part of its exclusive deal with AT&T, Apple is barred from developing a Verizon-compatible CDMA version of the iPhone for the next five years.

« AT&T to offer prepaid iPhone service?

‘Lost’ iPod game now available on iTunes [updated] »

Comments

5 YEARS!  What the frack.  That’s just great.  I guess I’ll be stuck with my Palm OS Treos until 2012.

Posted by Cool Cat on May 22, 2007 at 10:30 AM (PDT)

I hope Apple left some outs, if AT&T service sucks.  Five years is a long time with a product you can’t sell.

Posted by drew on May 22, 2007 at 10:45 AM (PDT)

People don’t seem to realize if a CDMA version of the iPhone was released, verizon would force apple to put their ugly red OS and pointless V-Cast services on the device, not to mention crippling the bluetooth ability to only being used with a headset and not for data transfers.  I for one am glad the iPhone isn’t gonna be on verizon.

Posted by MatrixSJD on May 22, 2007 at 12:09 PM (PDT)

I’m sure Steve Jobs has a nice escape clause that’s tied to sales numbers or something else they can use to get out of the deal.

As for Verizon, even as a loyal user, I hope they rethink their user interface. It’s not horrible, but no one’s mistaking it for OS X.

Posted by cxc273 on May 22, 2007 at 12:09 PM (PDT)

Big Verizon Gripe: Bluetooth crippling. It’s just wrong.

Posted by NSA247 on May 22, 2007 at 12:42 PM (PDT)

If Verizon cripple Bluetooth on their devices, to force you to use their Data Networks, wouldn’t they also cripple WiFi on the iPhone?
Do WiFi adaptors on Palm and Windows Mobile Smartphones work?

Posted by Salvo.Dan on May 22, 2007 at 1:14 PM (PDT)

I really hate these kind of deals.  If the phone is good, let it succeed on its own.  If the cellular network is good, let it survive on its own merits.  This bundling has got to stop.  It just means that a good phone can be crippled by a terrible network, and the consumer doesn’t have a choice about the network.  I, for one, would jump for an iPhone in a second if I could get it on whatever network I want (Verizon, in my case).  It just reeks of collusion in some form.

Posted by msherman on May 22, 2007 at 1:42 PM (PDT)

For Verizon users, what features of the iPhone do you like? Chances are if it was offered through Verizon, most of those cool features would be gone (due to the way Verizon operates) and you’d still be stuck with AT&T if you wanted the full functionality of the phone.

Posted by keynoteken on May 22, 2007 at 4:55 PM (PDT)

oh please. why tie any of this to a phone service. Go to Korea if you want that route. Itunes is so far and away the deal. try moving 500Megs for a 42 minute tv show over your phone. they have a 5 gig limit before their “unlimited” service dings you big time. The deal is the iphone without the phone, nice big screen and no tie to the damned phone network.  its comin… before christma…ah.. the holiday season.

Posted by radioman1 on May 22, 2007 at 7:32 PM (PDT)

Verizon Wireless doesn’t impose their “red” interface on smartphones.

I sure there are going to be people who will switch to AT&T for the iPhone.  But then, there will also be people leaving AT&T to get away from their customer service and their coverage (at least in my area).

Posted by stephen on May 24, 2007 at 11:26 AM (PDT)

Please Iphone! Come to Verizon.

Posted by J on November 18, 2008 at 3:58 PM (PDT)

i am torn between whether to get the iphone or to stay with verizon…since there are already phones like the iphone in verizon, i might not switch…besides the prices will add up to be the same and why pay for a worse service? there are many better phones (like the iphone) that are going to be out by the time i have to make the decision so lets c…

Posted by stuck-in-the-middle on November 20, 2008 at 5:26 AM (PDT)

BS! You all know Verizon is the best wireless user! AT&T;blows. They dropped my calls frequently…. my text messages would get to people reeeeeaally late. They screwed with my bill a couple times .. they effin suck. I for one cannot WAIT til IPhone comes to Verizon…and it will. Verizon Is Such a big and creative corporation that they’ll make it bigger and better than AT&T;EVER did! Yea AT&T;may have a 5 year jump on them .....but if you know nascar ....Jimmie Johnson had a 7 year jump on everyone on the Car-of-Today..they created it and know it…and look now everyone is now up there in the running for CoT. Just Like this Verizon sitiation.

Posted by matt featha on January 13, 2009 at 3:38 PM (PDT)

At&t;is horrible.  I was with them for 4 years and paid to get out of my contract.  Customer service is horrible.  Coverage horrible.  Prices horrible. Verizon has great customer service and coverage and a phone won’t make me move to crappier service.
I pray that verizon will one day pick up Iphone just because Iphone is more fun…that’s it.  I’ve heard through Iphone users that the battery life sucks…so thats a drawback…

Posted by jasmine barnard on February 23, 2009 at 10:33 AM (PDT)

Seriously! verizon needs to get the iphone! at&t;fricking sucks! my friend has it and i sent her a picture message and she didnt even get it till the next day! wow! they suck! if the iphone were at verizon in the first place, then they would have sold 100 times more of them!!!! UUUHHHHH! IT just makes me soooo angry! i mean that picture of the iphone with the little verizon icon on it looked DAMN GORGEOUS! COME TO VERIZON IPHONE, PRETTY PRETTY PRETTY PRETTY PRETTY PLEEEEEAAAASSSSSSEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by you can do it! on March 21, 2009 at 7:18 PM (PDT)