Verizon iPhone sales slower than expected? | iLounge News

Verizon iPhone sales slower than expected?

Sales of the Verizon iPhone have been slower than what Apple and Verizon expected, according to a new report. Citing an Apple source, BGR reports that combined unit sales totals from five Apple stores—including two described as “very, very prominent” locations—fell between 660 and 916 for each of the first five days the Verizon iPhone was on sale, compared to sales of between 471 and 701 for the AT&T model over the same time period. The report goes on to state that online pre-orders from both Verizon and Apple accounted for roughly 550,000 units, and that out of early Verizon iPhone buyers, 30 percent were Android users, 25 percent were former BlackBerry users, and only 14 percent were former AT&T iPhone owners.

« Spruce seeks funding for Wedge iPad stand

Apple developer rule changes may impact a wide range of apps »

Comments

To be expected:

1) AT&T contracts still in place.
2) iPhone 5 around the corner.
3) Droids are cheaper, and are selling well.

Not a shock…

Posted by sb on February 16, 2011 at 3:21 PM (CST)

Agree about expectations; I don’t want to pay $255 to cancel ATT right now, although in November I sure will when I’m eligible for upgrade. I also don’t want to shell out $800 for a Verizon iPhone; I currently have a Verizon mifi and my upgrade to the iPhone would really cost me.  I may not like ATT, but I’m not about stupidly throwing money away either.

Posted by Deb on February 16, 2011 at 3:54 PM (CST)

Personally, I am waiting for 4G to be more prominent on VZ before making any decisions about my next handset.

Posted by Jaime on February 16, 2011 at 4:34 PM (CST)

I am on the fence.  Been waiting for a long time - I am a current Verizon customer, and I can upgrade now and even get a $50 rebate.  But…. the new one is around the corner - and really - it is the same network as my current LG phone - so, slow.  What I really want is a 4G, or LTE, iPhone.

Posted by Matt on February 16, 2011 at 6:46 PM (CST)

Not sure what they expected (if numbers actually are lower than expected of course). iPhone is nearly a four year old product line at this point. Plus, the Verizon model is effectively the same iPhone 4 that’s been out for several months. People who really really wanted one already had one, and only people who really really hated AT&T in their region would have necessarily been jumping ship. The fact that it outsold the AT&T option is all that ought to matter.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on February 16, 2011 at 7:01 PM (CST)

I ended up buying one of the Verizon iPhones (coming from a Blackberry Storm).  I did like the Storm, but the iPhone is indeed much nicer.  Yes, I could’ve gotten a Droid unit, but I was already quite familiar with the Apple products due to having an iPod Touch for a number of years.  In addition, my experience with the current Droid units is that they are somewhat still on the “clunky” side, although still much better than that Storm that I had.

Yes, I am also aware of an iPhone 5, but if some of the rumors that I’ve heard is true, it is probably a good year before Verizon sees that model.  In addition, where I live, there is no LTE nor WiMAX coverage and would not be surprised if that is not at least a year or more before it is extended.  I’d have to go some 40 miles north into D.C. before getting into any LTE coverage that is actually worth a damn.

So, since I was due for a new phone, and had that $50 credit, I decided to go and bite it and drop on the Verizon iPhone.  So far, I don’t regret it as it really is a nice unit.

Posted by SkiBumMSP on February 16, 2011 at 11:17 PM (CST)

Despite these poorly sourced articles, i fully expect the VZW iPhone to contribute materially to Apple’s sales. It may not generate up-front lines for it, but it’ll be a net add in a large way to AAPL, and future iPhones will generate even more revenue.

The idea that b/c there aren’t lines out in front it’s not generating enough sales is just silly. There aren’t lines for the iPad and yet it’s generating nearly 20% of apple’s revenue.

BTW - I finally got an iPhone and I switched from AT&T - not b/c of the network but because my family can’t get AT&T where they live (Verizon is good though).

Posted by jcricket on February 16, 2011 at 11:28 PM (CST)

If I’m reading the figures in this article correctly, they’re implying that VZW’s iPhone 4 sales during its release week are on par with the sale of the AT&T model as normal, 4 months after its initial release. If this is accurate, it is definitely telling. “SB” is definitely on the money IMO: I doubt many people will pick up VZW’s first model for those reasons and many additional ones as well. It seems to me that this model will become obsolete even more quickly than other iPhone models, and among smartphones in general.

Posted by JW on February 17, 2011 at 2:48 AM (CST)

the sample size is too small to make an accurate report of sales numbers. This sample was four stores, not counting Best buy and Walmart that also sell the iPhone. Most importantly, This report is from BGR whose information is usually sketchy as best.

Posted by bigE on February 17, 2011 at 8:41 AM (CST)

There are only two reasons I didn’t get the Verizon iPhone 4. One, my contract with Sprint doesn’t expire till July. And two, I just bought a 64 GB iPod touch. If I hadn’t gotten THAT, I might have eaten the early termination fee after all…

Posted by Daniel S. on February 17, 2011 at 10:44 AM (CST)

I can upgrade to a ATT iphone 4 or move over to Verizon ( I still am using a 8gb 3G-which works just fine). However, I am waiting for the next one to come out via ATT. Data is more important to me as use email constantly. Phone service where I live (Ventura County, CA) is OK for me. I would tend to agree with other comments, sample size of sales too small. If I were Ilounge, I would focus on the iphone 5 due to come out early/mid spring. By the way, spoke with a couple of Apple workers at the Thousand Oaks mall and they confirmed a new iphone from ATT coming out and should fix issues with iphone 4. Also, larger size to compete with Androids. Have a great day!

Posted by Kevin G. on February 17, 2011 at 1:10 PM (CST)

nope, no reason to upgrade to a Verizon iPhone 4.  Its better to wait until June for the new model.  I decided to get rid of my iPhone 4 on AT&T, but I switched to the new HTC Inspire.  I still love my iPad,  but the Android phone I have is a much better user experience than iPhone.

Posted by gettysburg11s on February 18, 2011 at 11:22 AM (CST)