Verizon stalls iPhone 4 business shipments, sends empty box | iLounge News

Verizon stalls iPhone 4 business shipments, sends empty box

Acting on an earlier tip, iLounge’s editors have now confirmed that Verizon Wireless business customers who pre-ordered Apple’s iPhone 4 have been de-prioritized in favor of consumer orders for the device. Reader reports, as well as a call to Verizon’s business customer service line, established that Verizon has not shipped phones that were ordered and paid for by business customers early on February 3, despite having delivered units earlier today to non-business “consumer” accounts.

“We never got any emails with tracking info,” reader Scott told us. “Our order status only shows this: Order Status: COMPLETED. The Verizon rep said my order is ‘Paid Pending Shipment,’ which means it hasn’t shipped yet. They are telling people that it doesn’t matter when they ship our orders because the phones can’t be activated until the 10th. But that’s not true.”

“Ordered mine on the business site,” said reader Neil, who reported that he succeeded at 3:49AM, roughly an hour after the pre-order system began accepting orders earlier than expected. “[Verizon’s] website says that the order is completed but I have not received a shipping confirm… Not cool treating business customers like this.”

“Ordered mine at 3:30am on the 3rd through my business account,” confirmed Nick, another reader. “No sign of tracking info or that it is in inventory (Status says completed as of Sunday but waiting for inventory). Why would they put their largest financial contributors behind consumer purchases? I called my rep on Friday to ask and they told me that no one would be getting their phone before Thursday.”

Another report concerns a reader who received an empty box instead of the iPhone 4 he had ordered and paid for. “I received an empty sealed box today,” explained Ric. “I got charged for the phone. I called Verizon and they told me that someone else got the phone and already activated it. They have suspended that phone but they do not know when I will get my phone. I am very PO’ed.”

Numerous readers who ordered through Verizon’s consumer division have received and activated their iPhone 4s without issues, contradicting the Verizon customer service claims that pre-ordered phones could not be activated until February 10.

« $10 million in counterfeit Apple products seized in LA

Verizon iPhone 4 teardown shows GSM-compatible chip »

Comments

+1. I succeeded ordering at 3:18am, and have spoken to Verizon twice today about the order “completes” status w/o tracking. They continue to reaffirm all orders are processed as FIFO, but their shipments are to the contrary. Not a very ethical or loyal thing to do if you ask me… and something I will not forget anytime soon. I will be encourage clients, friends and colleagues to travel down the AT&T path.

Posted by CB on February 7, 2011 at 8:47 PM (CST)

The same thing has happened to me. I ordered mine at 12 midnight and order just says completed. But no shipping info at all. Not cool at all. When my contracts are up. 50 lines I will leave them for not thinking I am worthy of any loyalty ??? Guess ATT isnt so bad.

Posted by Bdlo on February 7, 2011 at 11:08 PM (CST)

Hey, Not sure where you guys live. I ordered the iphone the morning of the day that they first released them. I just got it in this morning, the 7th of Feb. I was originally told it would be in on the 10th. Under promise and over deliver, I have always had exceptional service from Verizon. No, I don’t work for them. ;) Just thought I should be fair and present a positive. P.s. I’m sorry though, I would be upset also. Hopefully they get things worked out.

Posted by amanda on February 8, 2011 at 12:57 AM (CST)

What would have been sadder would have been if the thief had stuck a Droid in the iPhone box hopping the victim would figure it was his new iPhone and the theft would have never been discovered by Verizon.

Posted by iPadOne on February 8, 2011 at 2:52 AM (CST)

I live in the Pacific Northwest, but it appears Verizon selectively chose to delay business preorders in order to fulfill consumer preorders, regardless of their “first come, first serve” proclamation. I can’t help but liken it to when Circuit City decided to layoff their most loyal, top income contributing employees in order to save a “few bucks” on the bottom line. We all know how that turned out. I’m just bitter because I was always taught to do well by others and they will do well by you… and also to never bite the hand that feeds you; two morals Verizon has forgone in this instance.  Wise up Verizon.

Posted by CB on February 8, 2011 at 3:41 AM (CST)

For comparison…I live in DC area.  Ordered 2 at 7 am day of presale.  delivery promised by Feb 10.  Both arrived Monday feb 7.  Same for a buddy of mine. YMMV.

Posted by Rob on February 8, 2011 at 7:28 AM (CST)

I received an empty box yesterday 2-7-11 and can’t get an answers! I will be calling my credit card company to dispute if they can’t ship or refund the phone.

Posted by Shawn on February 8, 2011 at 10:23 AM (CST)

I ordered at 1am PST on the first day of presale. Email said it would be shipped on the 10th, we received it on the 8th. Would have been the 7th, but we weren’t home and UPS (thankfully) wouldn’t leave it on the front porch.

Posted by Clarke on February 8, 2011 at 6:14 PM (CST)

I am a business customer, I ordered at 3:50am on the 3rd, and I finally received tracking information about an hour ago.  The rep we spoke to this time admitted there was an error and phones were shipped when they shouldn’t have. Whatever; we’re not stupid. Five phones shipped is an error. Several hundred thousand is ridiculous. Anyway, they’re shipping overnight and it arrives tomorrow.

It’s good to see that Verizon is getting things ironed out, though I’m still perplexed as to why consumer accounts would ship before business. We’re your bread and butter, Verizon, and the five calls I’ve placed to customer service over the past three days were frustrating at best. If FIFO is advertised, at least deliver on that.

Good news, regardless. Finally.

Posted by Mindy on February 8, 2011 at 6:15 PM (CST)

I completed my ‘consumer’ order at 2:52am on the 3rd (yes it did let me start at 2:45am before the supposedly “3am” start time).
Arrived on Friday and have been using it since.
Now, at the same time, I order several of them through the Verizon enterprise center (VEC).  I was unable to start ordering any of those until 3am (I logged into that several times from 2:45am to 3am, but no success until 3am).
Completed several orders by 3:30am.
NONE of those have shipped to me yet.

Now, I will say this: the order process indicated that phones would NOT ship until 2/9/2011, so anyone saying they will steer customers to AT&T for this issue is over-reacting in my opinion.
If Verizon ships to consumers first, I don’t agree that’s such a big deal.  Come on.  2/9/2011 is the ship date even if you pre-ordered.
Feel lucky they are at least shipping some of them (the consumer orders).  Just my humble opinion.

Posted by Russ Larson on February 8, 2011 at 9:23 PM (CST)