Verizon to hold 1/11/11 iPhone 4 media event | iLounge News

Verizon to hold 1/11/11 iPhone 4 media event

Confirmed by The Wall Street Journal as Verizon’s official launch gathering for the iPhone 4, an otherwise ambiguous media event was announced today via an ugly, heavily compressed digital invitation sent out by the wireless carrier rather than Apple. The event will take place on January 11, 2011 at 11:00am in New York City, and will most likely feature an on-stage appearance by Apple CEO Steve Jobs, as well as the debut of a modestly redesigned version of the current-generation iPhone 4. Parts leaks have shown a new antenna system that seemingly will be less susceptible to the “death grip” signal issues experienced by AT&T iPhone 4 users, confirming earlier reports that Apple quickly sought to redesign the device’s central frame despite downplaying reports of signal strength problems before and during a July, 2010 “Antennagate” media event.

Rumors of an iPhone with support for one of Verizon’s networks have been gathering steam for literally years, following a reported rebuffing of Apple by the United States’ largest cellular provider prior to the original iPhone’s release. It is unclear whether Apple, which famously guarded the original iPhone and its sequels against carrier badging or pre-installed applications of any sort, will make concessions to the notoriously bloatware- and badge-demanding Verizon akin to the ones that have seen numerous other devices receive the carrier’s red markings and software; similarly unknown is whether Apple will be offering the iPhone as a purely CDMA device, with 4G LTE support like recent Android phones, or as a multi-mode phone with GSM roaming support.

« Lingo debuts iRis Battery Pack + FM/DAB Receiver for iPhone 4

MEElectronics intros LifePower Battery for iPad »

Comments

I really hope that the iPhone won’t become an AT&T/Verizon exclusive for another 4-5 years…I love my EVO through Sprint, but I’d toss it in a snowbank in favor of an iOS device replacing it…

Posted by Daniel S. on January 7, 2011 at 11:58 PM (CST)

Sprint would be the last to get the iPhone. Since their future cell technology being WiMax nowhere everyone else including Verizon is going with LTE. Apple is only making a CDMA phone for Verizon because they have to. They really want to make one phone that works through out the world.

Posted by Chris P. on January 8, 2011 at 12:12 AM (CST)

My hope is that everyone would get off the AT&T network for selfish reasons.  Unfortunately, I suspect since the iphone is already close to end of life, almost no one will be jumping on this verizon iphone unless at&t wasn’t available at 3g speeds in their area.
I also suspect that the iphone 5 will come to GSM carriers first.  Another reason not as many people as we suspect will jump to verizon right away.
Sure give it 12 months and verizon might take away 25% of at&ts; iphone users.
By then we’ll all want a motorola atrix! ;-)

Posted by Mike on January 8, 2011 at 11:27 AM (CST)

Well there is no way in hell we are going to see an iPhone with a big VERIZON logo on it. Apple holds all the card here (the surge in Android popularity notwithstanding) and the iPhone will be unadorned and lovely just like on AT&T.

Posted by Clint on January 8, 2011 at 12:54 PM (CST)

I think it’s safe to say that something big is coming. Engadget just posted what appears to be a memo to Verizon personnel informing them that the Early Upgrade and ‘New Every Two’ programs will be phased out after Jan 16th.

Posted by Paul on January 8, 2011 at 4:17 PM (CST)

When I first saw this article, I was going to kill myself. I told my mom and she told me something that I hadn’t thought before. For all those people that don’t follow Apple as much as me, they held a press conference in the middle of summer, about 2 weeks after the iPhone was launched. It was saying that they made a problem on the new iPhone. THEY ADMITTED IT!! They said that there was a flaw in the new antennae and that if you put your hand on the left corner of the phone, they bars would decrease. They even tested it and it worked. No phone is perfect. They meeting was over, and everyone took they whole meeting like it was a joke.
The problem is, everyone is STILL blaming that issue on AT&T!!! YOU STUPID, BLIND IDIOTS!!! MR. STEVE JOBS STOOD UP ON A STAGE AND BASICALLY TOLD YOU, “Hey guys, it’s our fault.” The awesome thing about this whole iPhone going to Verizon thing is that the people will learn that is isn’t AT&T’s fault. The iPhone will drop calls the same way on Verizon’s network. I am not making this post to criticize Apple, i’m here just to say that AT&T is still an awesome carrier and soon the people will realize that also. Soon the world will come to it’s senses and smell the roses. Soon… soon…

Posted by Jon on January 8, 2011 at 11:05 PM (CST)

I think it’s smart to say no Verizon iPhone.

Posted by Justin on January 8, 2011 at 11:28 PM (CST)

#6 - You are right on a few counts. Apple/Jobs did stand up and say that the antenna design was to blame. But, just this week I saw leaked pictures of the supposed Verizon iPhone antenna rim. It is redesigned. The seams are at different points. That means that the chances of dropped calls due to this iPhone 4 glitch SHOULD be fewer on Verizon.

Also, what we will see is a good number of people look at Verizon to get away from AT&T. While every iPhone issue is NOT AT&T’s fault, I can honestly say that the AT&T service in my area (Washington D.C. suburbs) sucks. I can hardly keep up with the dead spots I run into on a daily basis. I can easily see my bars drop to 1 or none in the same spots time and time again. The problem is that these spots are 1.) large, and 2.) plentiful. Verizon is the dominant service out here (cable, internet, land lines via FiOS). I have been with Cingular/AT&T for many years, but I would definitely consider dumping them for a more reliable local network. And I know for a fact that I am not the only one.

I guess the point is that Verizon may not be any better than AT&T for everyone. But enough folks in AT&T-weak areas that really like the iPhone are salivating at this. Those in areas that AT&T has solid coverage could probably care less. As they should. Now let the Apple fans have a choice of carrier…and watch the sales numbers explode!

Posted by Mitch on January 9, 2011 at 2:44 PM (CST)

“Now let the Apple fans have a choice of carrier…and watch the sales numbers explode!”

This is the effect I’m most curious about. The trend lines of iOS vs Android in the phone market place have been stable for quite a while now. In general, Android already leads, and if the trends don’t change, Android will hold the “smartphone” market as well long before the end of 2011. The variable no one knows exactly is how much of Android’s dominant sales is due to carrier issues, and I guess we’re about to get a clue. It certainly can’t be helping the iPhone to have spent nearly half a decade tied to the dead last major carrier in the U.S. for consumer satisfaction.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on January 9, 2011 at 6:20 PM (CST)

#9-I can guarantee you that the ONLY reason I don’t have an iPhone right now is because of AT&T. Only reason at all. And my EVO was the closest thing to an iPhone I could get. >.>

Posted by Daniel S. on January 9, 2011 at 9:43 PM (CST)

Does anyone notice the blatant slant in how this article was written? ...towards Verizon. Carriers aside, I normally wouldn’t point this out but I have come to expect more professional writing from this site (being a patron for the past few years) and this is a poor example.

Bottom line (no matter the quality of Verizon’s internal video communications, etc.) an iPhone on multiple carriers is good for the consumer.

Funny thing is, I’m one of millions who have waited for this day and now it’s here and I’m not all that excited. Why? Because why should I pay $100 a month to own an iPhone when I could buy a tablet (with many of the same features and greater computing power, etc.) and choose to pay $35-80 month for 3-10GB of data (including free wifi)? I can still use it as a phone and do everything else a smart phone can do. Sure portability isn’t ideal but that’s really the only downside in my opinion. Thoughts?

...my 2cents…

Oh and a prediction: Minute plans will be done away with in the next 2-3 years and all we will have is a choice of data plans to choose from with VoIP and a myriad of other features.

2011 will be the year of the tablet and the cell phone game is going to see a big change in the not so distant future.

Posted by BlueHUE in Nebraska on January 9, 2011 at 11:19 PM (CST)

the big conference they are holding is not going to be about the iphone its goin to be about the new windows phone that is coming out soon.

Posted by ludbin ruano on January 10, 2011 at 12:42 PM (CST)

I don’t know how many out there are like me but my two year Verizon plan end’s in March. I’ve been counting down for the iPhone to come to Verizon, I’ll be in line if the rumors are true…

Posted by lanternut on January 10, 2011 at 3:22 PM (CST)

Probably not a coincidence that #12’s user name is an anagram for “liar unbound” ;)

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on January 10, 2011 at 4:28 PM (CST)

Why would you get a verizon iPhone at 3G when you can wait for four new 4G phones that verizon is releasing in 1Q and 2Q of 2011. Motorola bionic will probably be the best phone in the market when it’s reased. Also HTC, samsung and LG phones at 4G.

Posted by Sammy Sam on January 10, 2011 at 10:46 PM (CST)

I had been waiting for this announcement for a very long time. That ship has sailed.

I’ll stick with my Droid Incredible. Within the Android environment using these phones, I have total control of my experience allowing me to customize (without jailbreaking). Throw in the ability to change/upgrade batteries and increase storage space as I deem necessary, why would I defect to Apple?

Posted by Chondog on January 11, 2011 at 9:40 AM (CST)

I switched to AT&T for 2 weeks about 7 years ago and the service was HORRIBLE! I currently have the Droid and love it since it’s my first smartphone, however I will Definitely switch to the IPHONE if Verizon gets it!!! Verizon is, without a doubt, the best coverage for me living in Indy!
Thank God Apple is finally getting a clue!

Posted by Michael Smith on January 11, 2011 at 10:06 AM (CST)