Verizon upgrading network ahead of iPhone launch? | iLounge News

Verizon upgrading network ahead of iPhone launch?

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, October 7, 2010
News Categories: iPhone

In an update to yesterday’s story that said Apple will begin mass production of a CDMA-compliant iPhone by the end of the year, the Wall Street Journal reports that Verizon has been making preparations to launch the phone on its network. According to the updated article, Verizon Wireless has been meeting with Apple over the handset, and has been adding capacity and testing its networks in hopes of avoiding the sorts of coverage issues that plagued AT&T when the proliferation of iPhones overtaxed its network. The report goes on to note that in discussions with Apple over the original iPhone, Verizon declined to give up its ability to sell music and videos through its proprietary services; it does not clarify whether Verizon’s stance on these matters has changed. Finally, the report says that Apple originally considered making a dual-mode phone that would run on both GSM and CDMA networks, but ultimately decided to build a second iPhone that would work only with CDMA networks. Verizon is expected to launch the phone early next year, according to the report, ending AT&T’s exclusivity in the U.S.

« EA announces fall game lineup: SimCity, EA Sports and more

Apple canceling iPhone 4 orders in Hong Kong »

Comments

Meanwhile, AT&T still hasn’t upgraded their 3G network to meet past/present iPhone usage!

Posted by Farnsworth on October 7, 2010 at 9:38 AM (PDT)

So true #1. Also, I don’t really think that very many Verizon customers are just waiting to pounce on an iPhone, when many of them probably have better phones already, meaning HTC and Motorola Droids. I know if I was on Verizon, I would say “so what”....

Posted by Eric on October 7, 2010 at 2:49 PM (PDT)

Eric - I know several Evo and Droid users that are happy with their phones. I also know several that only have those phones because they could not stand AT&T and just got the best Verizon/Sprint offered. They have stated many times that they would absolutely drop the Androids if an iPhone made it’s way to their respective network.

On top of that, I know a lot of AT&T customers that would quickly jump ship to Verizon if an iPhone was available. I may be one of them. I really love my phone. I am beginning to really hate AT&T. And I am not alone based on a lot of people I deal with on a day-to-day basis.

It is really just a lot of speculation either way. I am interested to see what kind of numbers this will actually generate…if true.

Posted by Mitch on October 8, 2010 at 6:08 AM (PDT)

I have been using the iphone for over two years.  I love it!  We now own four iphones in my family.  One 4 and 3 3g’s.  Who cares if Verizon can offer it to it’s customers as well.  Verizon will feel the influx of data usage just as att did.

In the past month my daughters have not been able to communicate with their friends on Verizon network at three different times.  It was because they had issues with the Verizon network.  During those times they received texts and calls from friends on ATT and Sprint.  At 3 o’clock this morning their phones started going nuts.  All of their texts from friends with Verizon from 230 pm till then arrived at once.  That was noisy and all the vibration could have knocked pictures off of the wall.  It actually woke me up!  There were quite a few, they are teenage girls 13 and 17.  Unfortunately, thats how they communicate. LOL

I can’t imagine that it was because Verizon was working on their system to amp it up.  I assume that the many droid users were sleeping and not draining the system at that time, so finally the system could process the back log of texts just sitting there.

Good luck to Verizon users, I hope for your sake their system does some serious updating prior to this,if it ever happens.  My iphone is constantly searching the system, checking for updates for the apps, constantly sending push notifications…...  The iphone system does not stop!

I have had ATT since 1998.  I never had a problem sending or receiving calls or texts.  The system has never had a delay like that!  That is crazy!!!

I understand that New York and San Francisco have had problems with AT&T service, due to the high volume in those areas.  I am sure others have as well.  However, Me in Connecticut, have incredible service.  I work with my Brother who has Verizon.  His phone always cuts out on him or it is all choppy.  OMG!  It just cut out while talking to him right now.  Too Funny!  Mine is fine.  Actually, that time I was on the land line.

GOOD LUCK to all on Verizon if this goes through!  I hope that it does not mess up your Coverage more!

Posted by who cares on October 8, 2010 at 7:39 AM (PDT)

I know what you are talking about.  Last night at around the same time, 3 Am eastern time, my phone received texts from 6 pm…... From a verizon customer.  It woke me up, I assumed it was important coming at that hour.  That happened last week too!  I don’t have an iphone, just att, but never had a problem with my service either.  However, I haven’t been to NYC or San Francisco.

Good luck Verizon customers!  I am surprised more people aren’t experiencing the texting problem…..  Maybe a lot of droids in this area.

Posted by That's crazy! on October 8, 2010 at 8:07 AM (PDT)

Don’t know where you guys live, but here in the Minneapolis area, I’ve talked to several iPhone users who all say they have about a 25% drop rate on their iPhones.  I’ve had verizon for years, and have never had this kind of problem.  One friend has to turn off 3G in order to complete important calls.

Posted by Just me on October 9, 2010 at 2:49 PM (PDT)

I live in Arkansas and there is Verizon everywhere but there isn’t even an AT&T store!

Posted by hjbhjb on October 14, 2010 at 3:23 PM (PDT)