Video iPods? | iLounge News

Video iPods?

“PortalPlayer, the company behind the hardware, software and processor technology that powers Apple’s iPod, will soon launch a upgraded version of its chip/firmware combo that paves the way for a Photo iPod.

PortalPlayer Photo Edition will support synchronising digital photos between portable devices and host PCs, along with on-device playback, according to CEO Gary Johnson,interviewed by EE Times.”

« TidBITS: iPod Offerings, Part 2

Europe to fight music piracy with lawsuits »

Comments

I already have a “video ipod” - it’s called an Archos.

I noticed that the platform PortalPlayer are talking about here supports till images, not MPEGs.

But the new PortalPlayer can use the new 1” Cornice drives, which is nice. There are now 3 or 4 players in the market using these drives that are half the size of the iPod.

Just like a few years ago when iPod made everyone else’s player seem oversized, now it’s the iPod that’s looking bulky and old-fashioned.

And did anyone catch this bit in the interview:
PortalPlayer dominates the music jukebox market and claims that its chips and firmware drive 80 percent of the systems on the market. Its solution is used in models built by Alpine, Apple, Bang & Olufsen, Philips, RCA, Rio, Samsung and Yamaha.

I saw the new Samsung in the store and I was thinking to myself ‘that looks just like an iPod”!

Posted by PlayingCatchUp on December 16, 2003 at 11:41 AM (CST)

the ipod looks bulky in comparison to what?  i’d like a few examples of players that compare to the ipod but are much smaller.

Posted by spimp31 on December 16, 2003 at 11:49 AM (CST)

“the ipod looks bulky in comparison to what”

There are three that come to mind:

Creative Labs Nomad MuVo

Posted by HistoryLesson on December 16, 2003 at 12:04 PM (CST)

I have an iPOD which is an expensive brick compared to this beauty. This is small, lightweight, great interface, and holds more songs than I could possibly want to hear.

Posted by brick on December 16, 2003 at 12:08 PM (CST)

It’s amazing that this site attracts so many trolls from the marketing departments of companies producing inferior knock-offs of the iPod and the iTunes Music Store.

Don’t you people have anything better to do than to clutter the comments section of iPodlounge?

Posted by Atomic Bomb on December 16, 2003 at 12:31 PM (CST)

“It’s amazing that this site attracts so many trolls”

It’s not amazing that it attracts so many Apple fanboys though. Atomic Bomb, have you ever had a disloyal not-entirely-Apple-positive thought in your life?

I think the comparison between the ipod then and now is a good thing. I think it would be good if I could buy a $150 flash ram ipod and a $200 mini ipod and a $700 video ipod.

In your world everything is apparently perfect with ipod. In my world competition forces innovation that creates great products.

Posted by VXSarinSmallpox on December 16, 2003 at 12:48 PM (CST)

Pathetic.

Posted by Atomic Bomb on December 16, 2003 at 2:24 PM (CST)

It would be a good idea if people could customise some of the looks of the iPod, a “screen saver” type thing would allow the iPod to become a more personal and special feeling for the owner, which is great since they are obviously targeting teens.

Posted by Casual on December 16, 2003 at 2:40 PM (CST)

Interesting comparison, HistoryLesson, but let me remind you that within a year, Apple doubled the capacity (holding back technology for profit is a common strategy for monopolists), meaning your little hard drive would be a sexy 3 GB! WOO! Really, you’ve got to look at the rate of increase here, and if they had any sort of strategy to begin with, with hard drives as big as they are now, they’d start at 5 gigs. They aren’t. Why? Because the technology just isn’t there. But keep your hopes up. I’m enjoying my slender iPod, while you wait for next year, and the next year, and the next year, and the next year… for the little hard drives to reach decent capacities. Best wishes!

Posted by Sam on December 16, 2003 at 2:44 PM (CST)

“your little hard drive would be a sexy 3 GB”

The Cornice drives are already pretty old. Their second edition, due Q1 2004, increases the capacity to 4GB. They are talking about 10GB by end of 2004.

How many GBs becomes “enough” for most people, especially at low price points?

For want of a better description, I am a gadget analyst for a market intelligence company. I’ve seen some reports which put the “average” GB usage by 2G iPod owners at around 9GB.

So many people who get larger drives are wasting their money on space they will rarely if ever use.

You should also know that I am not waiting around!I have an iPod 10GB for compactness, but a Creative Nomad 80GB for bulk storage. So I know what a pain it is to shoehorn your data into smaller devices.

But my needs are atypical. The 9GB figure for iPodders is creeping up slowly, but but much slower than the over 2x annual increase in GB/$.

I do see a competitive disadvantage against Apple building up if by the end of 2004 they do not have a compact iPod available. The smaller form factor drives will be “large enough” for a significant amount of people.

Remember Apple currently picks up around 30% of the market. Many of those people go for Apple because it’s the only large capacity gadget available in a size that suits. That’s why they skip over the cheaper flash ram players with limited capacity.

But many of that 30% might possibly go for a 5-10GB super-compact device, especially if it was $100-$200 cheaper than an iPod and also includes FM and recording, as most of the smaller devices do.

Posted by HistoryLesson on December 16, 2003 at 3:08 PM (CST)

I’m not into waiting one year for something that is 10GB fewer than what I have now. Also, with Apple owning as much of the market as it does, isn’t it apparent that consumers forfeit features like FM and recording from a bulky player for sleekness and usability? I realize I’m picking a fight with an expert, but I’m interested in this debate.

Posted by Sam on December 16, 2003 at 3:38 PM (CST)

“with Apple owning as much of the market as it does, isn’t it apparent that consumers forfeit features like FM and recording from a bulky player for sleekness and usability”

I think that the existence of a robust and increasing aftermarket in iPod hardware add-ons demonstrates that a significant proportion of iPodders are unhappy with its current configuration.

As I said earlier, I think a significant proportion of iPod buyers are not wedded to 20GB+ sizes or the Apple brand. They are going iPod for the good UI and the compactness.

And as for market share. Apple gets around 20
% of unit volume and around 30% of sales revenue. Personally I reckon they will get 35%+ of sales revenue this xmas because they have been very strict about maintaining their MSRP, unlike some other manufacturers who are throwing rebates around. The rapid price drops for the Rio Karma are another good example of how supply is exceeding demand there.

But a big majority of the market still picks non-Apple products, to the extent of around 80% of unit volume. Some of these people pick cheaper solid state for aerobic activities, some pick CD-based players for convenience, cost, and familiarity. And some pick non-Apple HD players for cost. Definitely not for UI!

Posted by HistoryRepeating on December 16, 2003 at 3:48 PM (CST)

I think I got a half-agreement on that. But it is true that people lean towards the iPod for the slimness and the UI. Apple has a hold on the compact MP3 player market- nothing is as thin. It’s almost a monopoly, and while many iPoders are displeased with battery life, lack of recording, FM etc… they don’t have much of a choice. While I myself wish there were more features on the iPod, I look at it for what it is, an MP3 player through and through. I get the music, I’m happy.
    Concerning unit volume, we’d have to see what percent of the market isn’t computer literate, or don’t posess the skills necessary for using an iPod and programs. Generally the older age group.
    I think the only thing that comes close to the iPod in form factor etc.. is the iRiver, but that isn’t even widely available. Do you know if the 1.5 toshiba drive is exclusive just to Apple and iRiver? If so, how did iRiver get the rights to use it?

Posted by Sam on December 16, 2003 at 4:03 PM (CST)

I’d love to own a video/photo Ipod.  Can’t wait to see what Apple comes out with.

Posted by Z on December 16, 2003 at 4:29 PM (CST)

What happened to his response? Who took it down? Censorship?

Posted by Sam on December 16, 2003 at 6:27 PM (CST)

It was odd wasn’t it i saw his reply then when I refreshed it was gone. anyway he said that IBM and hitachi also now are making the iPod small drives so that’s why other music players have them and also that toshiba are making more of them and some of them are even being used by ipod competitor clones.

Posted by Mahatma on December 16, 2003 at 6:39 PM (CST)

Someone is censoring the responces. Either that or he took it down, but I don’t know how he’d do that.

Posted by Sam on December 16, 2003 at 6:49 PM (CST)

Yes it was deleted because it was basically the same comment repeated and the user is well known for ‘trolling/spamming’ on iPodlounge as we have a record of all his/her posts and the IP matches everytime. We have the right to delete posts if we feel the person is abusing the open commenting system. We are also considering closing the system to members only as of January 1, 2004.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on December 16, 2003 at 7:05 PM (CST)

Oh, ok. Gotcha ;p.

Posted by Sam on December 16, 2003 at 7:12 PM (CST)

We are all Spartacus

Some of us want smaller iPods.

Some of us want cheaper iPods.

Some of us want colour iPods.

Some of us want to teach the world to sing.

Posted by IAmTheBlackGoldOfTheSun on December 16, 2003 at 7:33 PM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >