Vote now: Which new iPod do you want? | iLounge News

Vote now: Which new iPod do you want?

Voting continues in the latest iLounge poll—“Which of these potential new iPods interests you the most?”—and we really want to know what you want.

Cast your vote from iLounge.com’s main page by looking for iLounge Poll in the left hand column. So far, the results are heavily favoring several different types of video iPods; do you feel the same? Vote now!

« Sakar intros iSnooze Mini iPod clock radio

Game developer PopCap ‘looking pretty closely’ at iPhone »

Comments

I don’t care as much about a 4” touch screen - it would be nice but probably also a battery drain.
I also don’t care for video on iPod nano’s - they are small for a purpose, and that purpose is simply not video.

My number one killer feature on an iPod would be its ability to act as a remote for an Apple TV or an Apple Express device - either by IR, BT or WiFi I don’t care, whatever fits the bill.

Why should I turn on my TV to browse through my music library?

The iPod UI is designed solely for that purpose, and it should be used to operate a ‘remote’ iTunes device.

Posted by Bart Guijt on August 28, 2007 at 5:03 AM (CDT)

Agreed, the ability to remote control an Apple TV or Apple express would be an excellent addition. Although it would make it a very expensive remote control ;)

Also I know that flash memory is still very expensive, but if Apple were able to get around the price issue of 32mb+ flash memory, would there still be loading speed issues? I’m still amazed how slow loading up my 1GB shuffle can be compared to hard disk based iPods.

Posted by robroe in Manchester, UK on August 28, 2007 at 5:17 AM (CDT)

I do not think Apple will give me what I want!!!

I really want an iPhone without the phone feature.  But it will never happen cos Apple will not allow one product to cannibalizes the sales of another even though I can see the success of this type of product.  Especially when Apple can demand lots of $$$ from the telco for the exclusivity.

Apple must maintain the gap between their new ipod video and the nano.  So, nano is definitely not going to play video and it will get smaller if Apple do remake it (dun think it would happen!!!) Very likely Apple will launch the ipod nano look alike phone whose pics was widely circulated in the net before the launch of the new iphone.  This phone will be for the mass market so the price point will be low (probably current 30G video’s price point).  This product will probably take the lime light for the september event.

I think Apple will only moderately refreshes their iPod video line AGAIN with flash replaces the harddrive.  8GB and 16GB model probably.  Thinner than the current video. Much longer battery life.  Maybe a slightly wider screen.  New interface maybe.  But thats about it.

Guess I can only settle for the iPhone then :-(

Posted by William on August 28, 2007 at 7:08 AM (CDT)

What I want would be a merging of the iPod Video and Nano.

Think of something in between the size of a Nano and a Video that is all 16:9 touch screen (4” x 2.25”).

Then you would be back to three products…
1.  Shuffle
2.  True iPod Video
3.  iPhone media system

However this is not likley to happen for the simple fact that Apple want you to crave owning all their devices.

If you have the perfect mulimedia system in the iPhone, you may justify buying a simple shuffle for the Gym etc, but would you buy another premium media player?

Should be fun seeing what comes out the pipe.

Posted by boca on August 28, 2007 at 9:45 AM (CDT)

I agree with Bart. A Nano does not need a small video screen.

Instead, Apple should concentrate on improving each of the current 3 levels of iPods since they address 3 differing needs so well:

The shuffle for a durable for entry level iPod users and workout enthusiasts.

The Nano for people who want a higher capacity screen-based iPod but want it small and portable.

The Video iPod for people who want the highest capacity and don’t generally plan to use thier iPod in demanding situations.

I myself have 2 1st gen Shuffles, a 4gb 1st gen Nano and a 30gb Video iPod. Each comes in handy for different situations.

Trying to make a one-size-fits-all iPod is an exercise in futility.

BTW, I’m not sure if I’m onboard with with the touchscreen idea for new iPods. I like the tactile feedback of operating the controls without having to look (i.e. Pause, Skip, Rewind).

Things to improve on are:

Durability
Battery Life
Capacity
Customizable EQ
Wi-Fi pruchasing from iTunes

Posted by Scotto on August 28, 2007 at 9:54 AM (CDT)

All I want like is a 5th gen. with a huge h/d, don’t need any of the fancey bells and whistles.

Posted by scott on August 28, 2007 at 5:15 PM (CDT)

In a new iPod I want:

- a very large hard drive to store more and more lossless music

That’s it! But if i could have more then I would add:

- a digital out to use an external DAC, preferrably a USB DAC
- visual remote control for iTunes

Nice!

Posted by Andrew on August 28, 2007 at 5:41 PM (CDT)

How but a flash based 4” widescreen, touchscreen, 30gb and up, video Ipod with wi-fi. Or 30gb and up Iphone with out the phone.

Posted by GUTIERREZ on August 28, 2007 at 6:14 PM (CDT)

I don’t care about video or wi-fi or anything fancy. I just want to listen to lots of music at the best quality level possible (ideally, lossless).

A high-capacity nano would be great. The more space they can cram in, the better. The full-sized iPods are too big to put in my pocket, so they’re not really that useful.

Posted by Dan on August 28, 2007 at 6:27 PM (CDT)

How about an iphone with ummmm 80gig! Then you will have a new customer for sure…or maybe put itunes on apples server that i can remotely log into from any internet connection & stream my shows and music so i dont need mega memory!

Posted by infamous313 on August 28, 2007 at 8:00 PM (CDT)

I’d like a Nano with at least 16Gb of memory.

Posted by WeedMonkey on August 29, 2007 at 10:56 AM (CDT)

Is is just me, or is it about time that Apple make iPods with built-in Bluetooth with support for AD2P? Bluetooth stereo headsets are gaining popularity and Apple should be on board with the ipod?

Posted by John on September 1, 2007 at 11:52 AM (CDT)

well i do like the iphone, but one thing that would attract a TON of attraction to the ipod line?
a camera.
if they could add that, so many people would buy it.
but if they had the ipod exactly like the iphone without the phone, i’d so get it. :D

Posted by Daniel on September 1, 2007 at 8:04 PM (CDT)