VP Cheney’s iPod takes precedence on flight | iLounge News

VP Cheney’s iPod takes precedence on flight

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, December 23, 2005
News Categories: iPod

On a return flight from a four-day trip to the Middle East, U.S. vice president Dick Cheney used one of the only working power outlets on Air Force Two to charge his beloved iPod, frustrating reporters who were trying to file stories.

“Working passengers began lining up their laptops to share the power from a couple of working outlets—particularly the reporters who urgently needed to prepare their articles to transmit during a quick refueling stop in England,” reports the Associated Press. “But when Cheney said his iPod needed to be recharged, it took precedent above all else and dominated one precious outlet for several hours. The vice president’s press staff intervened so a reporter could use the outlet for 15 minutes to charge a dead laptop, but then the digital music device was plugged back in.”

« Apple offers free Battlestar Galactica, SNL videos on iTunes

CoolGorilla releases music trivia game for iPods »

Comments

Stories like this have done their desired effect: get younger, “hip”, people to empathize with someone who’s currently being hounded with charges and whispers over illicit activities and questionable ethics and tactics.  The publicizing of the VP having an iPod has had its desired effect: suddenly a dowdy, shadowy old fart of a politician is COOL, just because he “uses” an iPod. Worked for GW, couldn’t hurt for Tricky Dicky.

Excellent “use” of an iPod. Next time, pull out the Razr and see what kind of mileage he can get outta that…if that doesn’t work, maybe they’ll believe the Xbox 360.

Geez, how gullible can all you be??? You may all be on the cutting edge, but that worldly side of yours needs some serious development management.

Posted by flatline response on December 23, 2005 at 5:27 PM (PDT)

I’m liberal and not a big fan of Bush…but come on, this should be a funny story, not some political conspiracy either way.  “screw the reporters” “cheney is a thug”...come on guys, put things in priority.

Micvog, there are so many inherent problems with that UCLA study…I’ll only briefly touch on the topline because this ain’t the place:
1. politics is not something that can be scored, all or nothing.  Stories inevitably cover more than one angle…this study applies a 1 or 0, all or nothing and determines that it is 100% conservative, or 100% liberal.
2. The study claims that drudgereport.com skews liberal because they post liberal bent articles.  The site is a conservative haven.  Sure, he posts a lot of stuff about nasty things said about Republicans…but he does that in an attempt to call the issues to the forefront, and get the conservative base who reads his site to get upset and respond.
3. Any study that scores political bias is based on a fantasyland where each party is equally “guilty”, has equal power, and where all external factors are equal.  The press is inevitably contrary, and with Republicans in charge of all levels in government, they are the ones pulling the strings, they are the ones on the bully pulpit, and the press is ineitably going to fact check statements that they make and going to call out problems.

Again, I’m liberal…I do think there is a bias to the left, it’s the nature of the industry as a whole…but the bias isn’t 90% in favor of liberals as this study claims in reality it’s probably closer to 60% liberal.

Final point, Fox News dominates CNN in terms of viewers.  Conservative talk radio dominates liberal talk radio…if you include all media sources including Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and the likes…I’d actully venture to guess more people are exposed to conservative leaning media than liberal media.

Adam | already regretting this post.

Posted by bluecow on December 23, 2005 at 7:26 PM (PDT)

Well sai Bluecow. I am sick of these conservatives whining about news converage. No Dopey Dick’s lapto was probably crap apple.

Posted by I Luv My Pod on December 23, 2005 at 9:34 PM (PDT)

I love when ppl like bluecow talk about things like the drudgereport and it is clearly evident from their statements that they have no idea what they are talking about.  I am a conservative who reads drudge and I can tell you exactly why I do so.  reason 1 is that drudge posts interesting and current links to a wide variety of different sources.  So I am never relying on a SINGLE major source of news (such as the NYTimes, or Fox News for that matter).  reason 2 is that because of drudge’s varying coverage, I am informed of things I would have never heard about if I were to read only the large, typically liberal media outlets.  Why is it then that conservatives are the major users of drudge?  I can only conclude that it must be that conservatives value having many different sources of information and exposing themselves to different viewpoints—which are certainly not provided by the big media outlets.  Ironically, because drudge has many links to obviously liberal big media sources, he is then rated as a liberal site by an independent study.

The other thing that annoys me is when people sneer about windows PCs.  I am very tech-savvy and I love my 5G iPOD, but I will never let it touch a Mac PC (although I have used them on many occasions).  After all, it works flawlessly with my versatile, stable and stylish Win XP laptop, thank you very much.

Posted by jarofchris on December 23, 2005 at 11:02 PM (PDT)

I really do not want to get into it…but just for the record I look at the drudgereport pretty much every day of my life.  I look there, as well as fox news, cnn.com ap.com…etc. etc.  So I kindly suggest not making assumptions about what I do or don’t know.

But Matt Drudge himself is fairly happy to admit that he is unashamedly conservative….he also knows that the vast majority of those that read his site are conservative.

If you are looking for diversified news sources…be careful about putting too much fiath into drudgereport, because he hand picks articles for whatever purposes he chooses for the day…so whether it’s a conservative bias or a liberal bias, it’s a Matt Drudge bias.

However, using the drudgereport as one of many sources is most certainly useful.

Posted by bluecow on December 23, 2005 at 11:50 PM (PDT)

“If you are looking for diversified news sources…be careful about putting too much faith into drudgereport, because he hand picks articles for whatever purposes he chooses for the day…so whether it’s a conservative bias or a liberal bias, it’s a Matt Drudge bias.”

This was directed at everyone in general…not you jarofchris…I believe you when you say you use multiple sources.

Posted by bluecow on December 23, 2005 at 11:51 PM (PDT)

Good Lord!? Politics aside, you Geezer Fanboys need a good strangling with your iPod earbuds if you believe Cheney is such a great man. Left or Right, they are sides of the same coin and some of these people are just downright evil. I pity anyone who thinks labeling themselves “Liberal” or “Conservative” somehow makes things right in the world. To think so Black and White surely shows how out of touch with the world you are. Just like Dick and his iPod.

Posted by Vicious Vixen Mission Stardust on December 24, 2005 at 4:29 AM (PDT)

“First, the freedom of the press hould take precedent. “

Then maybe they should have powered up before getting on the plane? Nobody I know who uses a laptop for mission critical work travels without having at least two fully charged batteries.

Posted by Somebody on December 24, 2005 at 8:57 AM (PDT)

bluecow, I didn’t mean to criticize so harshly.  I was primarily reacting to your statement that drudge puts up articles critical of ‘republicans’ in order to mobilize his user base.  unless drudge specifically said that at some point, I think it is extremely presumptuous to assume it is true.

I think my tone arose primarily from my frustration that people would use this laughable AP article to criticize Cheney.  I mean, the reporter may as well have written “gee everyone reading this, don’t you feel sorry for poor me?  Cheney is a meanie”.  I am not one to beat a dead horse—I read the NY Times and aside from their editorial page it really isn’t that bad—but there is simply not a more classic example of underhanded media bias than this Cheney iPOD article.  The sad thing is that I am forced to continue beating the dead horse because there are those who refuse to acknowledge it even in this blatant instance.

Posted by jarofchris on December 24, 2005 at 10:56 AM (PDT)

I am appalled.

This is exactly what Dick wanted - publicity. How can you hand it to him like this so easily?!

I expected better of this wonderful site.

Posted by MattPaintballer on December 24, 2005 at 2:44 PM (PDT)

Like this is somehow different from the abject contempt that BushCo has shown for the media. If you’re not a BushCo Crony, you get bumped to the back of the line in all situations. This is to be expected. The real shame is that the corporate-owned media (that is, all traditional media outlets) has so lost credibility that this sort of thing is totatlly irrelevant. How we’ve gone from “All The President’s Men” to reporters allowing themselves to stand in line behind an MP3 player is beyond me. Sad and pathetic.

Posted by Dalek on December 24, 2005 at 8:26 PM (PDT)

He ought to buy a battery powered iPod charger since he’s flying so often.

Posted by minty on December 24, 2005 at 8:35 PM (PDT)

well.  this is interesting.  and sad.  can’t you guys just go to some website that actually is a political website?  Ok so all u guys pretty much do to help run our country is you vote one day a year.  When your not voting, you criticize people who don’t share your beliefs.  Come on people! this is an ipod fansite!
Get over it!
this article was posted to show that famous people have ipods!  and are greedy!
all i got to say.

Posted by a regular ipod nano dude on December 25, 2005 at 11:32 AM (PDT)

One comment…it’s, uh, OUR plane.  It belongs to the tax paying citizens of the United States.  Political Science 101.

Posted by tinalee123 on December 25, 2005 at 4:26 PM (PDT)

Next time, bring an extension cord XD

Posted by Zippo on December 25, 2005 at 6:27 PM (PDT)

Arrogance at its pinnacle. Sometimes a laptop needs to be plugged in.  These people are trying to WORK.  If Mr. Cheney thinks the media is out to get him, maybe he should look at things like this and try and figure out why they think he’s a $#!+.

Posted by billn on December 26, 2005 at 9:07 AM (PDT)

My question is:

What would Dick Cheney listen to on his iPod?

I’m at a loss, suggestions PLEASE!

Posted by roydrink on December 26, 2005 at 10:31 AM (PDT)

Well, I think this is pretty funny. Had Kerry or Edwards been the ‘star’ of this story the comments on this site would be the same, just from the opposite people.

My view is that on Air Force Two the Vice Pres (whether Rep or Dem) has the right to use whatever resource is available for his own personal use. The invitation to the press to be on board is not a right. If they don’t have what they need, too bad. They don’t stand as high as the VP of America, especially on his airplane.

I personally wouldn’t presume to know the pressures that come with being the VP of the most powerful country in the world. I would presume to know the relaxing benefits of listening to music after a hard day of work.

I am neither a Dem nor a Rep. I do respect the men and women who take on the responsibility to lead our nation. No matter who you may please, most are never pleased with your actions. If Cheney hadn’t been criticized because of his iPod, there would have been something else. That is the nature of politics and the press - period.

Good for Apple, however, for making a product that appeals to the highest levels of authority in our nation. They certainly don’t have the time (nor technical savvy perhaps) to master a complicated player. Apple has put music at their fingertips in an easy to use way.

Posted by Stephen from Columbus on December 26, 2005 at 2:01 PM (PDT)

There is one issue to consider here above all others: why did it take “several hours” to recharge an iPod??

That being said, how many of you here actually read the original AP article and not just the little summary in iLounge? It boggles my mind how much speculating you folks spit out without bothering to even click on the link to the full story. For shame, you lazy Americans, for shame.

Had you read the story, you would have known that the plane was not the regular Air Force II, which has outlets in every row. It was a cargo plane, with special quarters for Cheney. Several existing outlets on the cargo plane were broken and the plane was returning from Afghanistan or Iraq (the story is not clear). This is an 8 to 12 hour flight at the very least. Even if you carried a spare battery, you would still run out of juice halfway through the flight.

Cheney is famous for his hatred and avoidance of the press. He is equally well known for his heavy-handed manipulation of the press (Valerie Plame ring a bell?). Cheney has no obligation to give up a precious electric outlet to anybody, but it was still an ugly and petty act on his part.

We may not have Dick Nixon to kick around anymore, but by God, we got Dick Cheney.

Posted by Marc on December 28, 2005 at 7:33 PM (PDT)

Dick Cheney is a WAR CRIMINAL!!!!!
If you admire him because he has an Ipod, you guys are messed up!

Posted by chris on December 28, 2005 at 8:00 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >