Wal-Mart launches online movie store with all major studios | iLounge News

Wal-Mart launches online movie store with all major studios

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, February 6, 2007
News Categories: Digital Media

Using its clout as the world’s biggest seller of DVDs, Wal-Mart has launched an online movie download store with films from all six major Hollywood studios. The Wal-Mart Video Downloads store currently sells about 3,000 movies and TV shows from Walt Disney, Warner Brothers, Paramount, Sony, 20th Century Fox, Universal, Comedy Central, CW, FX, Logo, MTV and Nickelodeon. The Windows Media-based store only works with Microsoft Windows and videos are not compatible with the iPod. Download prices will be $12.88 to $19.88 on the day of the DVD release. Older movies will start at $7.50, while TV shows will sell for $1.96 an episode. Apple’s iTunes Store, which only offers movies from Walt Disney and Paramount, charges $12.99 for movies when pre-ordered and during the first week of sale, and $14.99 afterward.

« Mix: Google CEO, Super Bowl XLI, Cisco, iPhone gear

Fastmac expands iPod LCD service for iPod minis »

Comments

And thus begins Wal-Mart’s takeover of the Internet. All praise our new god, I suppose.

Posted by Multimoog on February 6, 2007 at 8:22 AM (PDT)

You forgot to mention that iTunes Store movies are $14.99 and less. Also who would want to by a windows media based movie for the same price if not more than the dvd? That is just stupid.

Posted by xterracannondale on February 6, 2007 at 8:27 AM (PDT)

I forgot to mention that I think even iTunes movies are priced too high for the quality of video and lack of any features.

Posted by xterracannondale on February 6, 2007 at 8:29 AM (PDT)

I don’t think I’d be allowed to shop at Wa-Mart’s online store.

I went to college.

Posted by trey on February 6, 2007 at 8:29 AM (PDT)

As much as I love WalMart I am very disappointed in their online music and movie sales business.  Windows only?  They’ve totally bought into the Redmond Manifesto.

Apple will crush them in this arena just as they’ve done with music.  If WalMart wants real success in movie downloads they’d partner with Apple to get every movie ever made available through the iTS, a win-win for Apple and WalMart.

Posted by Cool Cat on February 6, 2007 at 8:49 AM (PDT)

I have no problems buying songs for $.99 or TV shows for $1.99, but I think the price for movie downloads on both iTunes and Wal-Mart is way too high, especially if you already own the DVD.

I mean, if I bought say, Pixar’s Cars on DVD, I would be willing to pay an extra dollar or two on top of the DVD to be able to legally download it to my iPod. But to ask me to pay basically the same thing again for something of inferior quality seems a waste of money.

I’d very much like a way to put movies on my iPod, but right now there doesn’t seem to be an inexpensive and legal way of doing so.

Posted by cxc273 on February 6, 2007 at 8:57 AM (PDT)

I think I’ll buy an online movie this week…..from itunes only!

Posted by unreal on February 6, 2007 at 9:05 AM (PDT)

Well Walmart sell pretty much everything. Like my local Asda (Walmart owns them)has started selling Washing Machines (Washers for you Americans)!!

Posted by ryan10ad on February 6, 2007 at 9:29 AM (PDT)

To CXC273… I use Cucosoft’s software to legally rip my DVDs to Ipod and PSP format.  Very effective for the micro screens, and suprisingly viewable on my 32” screen.

I really do not see the benefits of buying a low quality movie, when you can buy the DVD for around the same price, and rip it legally to your own device.

This is a limited market, in which the vast majority of people participating in are iPod users.  Alienating the biggest segment only makes sense if the niche that are left are willing to pay higher prices.

To be honest I see this as an attempt by the studios to pacify WalMart who the major outlet for their movies.
They probably also believe that they are retaining an element of control and dignity by rejecting Job’s advances, when in fact they have stood up the Prom Queen in favor of the local hooker.
Well if they want to get screwed Walmart are the sure bet for that!

Posted by boca on February 6, 2007 at 9:39 AM (PDT)

they (Walmart and the movie industry) just don’t get it do they?  the iPod is here to stay…might as well get on board.  that being said I highly doubt I will buy any movies through any online retailers, including iTunes, until they either drop the price or upgrade the quality.

Posted by franticnomad on February 6, 2007 at 9:45 AM (PDT)

To: Boca
Damn, your last paragraph was poetry. In this day and age of extreme litigation can I quote that without fear of being sued!

Posted by Rand on February 6, 2007 at 10:41 AM (PDT)

I stopped reading at “Windows-only”, even before I got to the ridiculous prices.

Posted by Bad Beaver on February 6, 2007 at 10:49 AM (PDT)

Windows-only is right.
The website only looks right using IE.
Looks like crap using Firefox!

Posted by will_bc on February 6, 2007 at 12:58 PM (PDT)

In the U.S., there’s no such thing as a legal rip of copyrighted, copy-protected DVD content.

Posted by flatline response on February 6, 2007 at 2:28 PM (PDT)

I thought I would just add how I love the fact that the online music store does not open properly in Firefox.

Defiantly aboard the Microsoft Bandwagon.

Posted by Kyle on February 6, 2007 at 8:48 PM (PDT)

Seriously people…. what has America come to?  Why dont you just get off your ### and go Walmart(everyone has one… one too many actually) and buy the stupid DVD, and burn it to your computer!  WOW!  What a great idea!  Now you can watch it on your iPod, or anyother Video playing music player, your home system, and you portable DVD player!  Even if i wanted to buy a movie off the net, why wouldnt Walmart be smart enough to make it compatable with iPod because everyone knows its the most popular MP3 player in the world… stupid part on Walmart i have to say.

Plus, i would NEVER buy from Walmart Music Store anyways cuz i still believe Walmart is gonna take over the world…. everyone knows it!

Posted by redapple2112 on February 7, 2007 at 7:05 AM (PDT)