Wall Street Journal seeks iPod party people | iLounge News

Wall Street Journal seeks iPod party people

iLounge recently spoke with Wall Street Journal reporter, Pui-Wing Tam who is researching the concept of using an iPod at parties. Have you ever attended a party where iPod(s) were used as main source of music? “We’re working on a fun story about how iPods are changing parties—do people duel over which music to play now, since so much more music is available on iPods, for example? How do people prevent others from walking away with their iPods at parties?”

« Free iPod personalization promo extended

Wireless headset adapter for iPod coming next year »

Comments

Sounds like Pulitzer Prize contender to me.

Posted by piratepete on March 31, 2004 at 5:51 PM (CST)

Sounds like the sony commercial to me. Where theres a big party on the beach and they all have headphones on listening to music

Posted by keebie on March 31, 2004 at 6:29 PM (CST)

I use it at all my parties.

As to how I keep people from walking away with my ipod; I don’t invite scumbags to my parties.

Posted by dave on March 31, 2004 at 9:10 PM (CST)

^^Well, usually when I have a big house party, people from school I havent invited turn up anyway.. theres no way of telling cuz theres so many people in the first place..

Posted by Syph on April 1, 2004 at 9:14 AM (CST)

If it’s the source of music at a party, it seems like someone would have to unplug it to steal it.  Wouldn’t it draw attention to the thief if the music suddenly went dead?

Posted by dohboy on April 1, 2004 at 1:44 PM (CST)

I never let my iPod out of my sight at parties, are you crazy?

Posted by medboy on April 1, 2004 at 3:50 PM (CST)

Last time we had a party, we hauled the whole dang stereo system upstairs from its usual home downstairs.  It was a “bad beer / bad music” party so there was a lot of CD changing going on.

With the iPod, I’d have only had to move the speakers, build a playlist, and let it fly!

Heck, I had to burn a special CD to include only the Yoko Ono songs from John & Yoko “Double Fantasy.”

Posted by altcountryman on April 2, 2004 at 12:52 PM (CST)

Although u can adjust volume between songs I would like to have some kind of ‘automatic volume leveller’ function. At parties then each songs has the good loudness…

Do you guys have problems with that at parties?

Dude

Posted by Dude in Malaysia on April 5, 2004 at 2:41 AM (CDT)

I want the same cross fader effect that itunes has to be in my ipod that would make the ultimate party machine as it will mix the song into each other for a seamless music experience…

Posted by Wash on April 5, 2004 at 12:13 PM (CDT)

“I want the same cross fader effect”

I think it’s not impossible to build cross fade into small devices. The Rio Karma has cross fade. I gather the iPod has not one but two CPUs - surely one of them could play the music while the other one worked on the cross fade?

Posted by DJ Metallo on April 5, 2004 at 12:32 PM (CDT)

I hope the next ipod update will bring this… any way is not about the ipod cpu is has the horse power to do it is the software that is need it.

Posted by Wash on April 5, 2004 at 12:46 PM (CDT)

Best way to secure your iPod at a party is to lock it up in one of these portable travel safes. (http://www.pac-safe.com/product.aspx?pId=646) Just lock it to some unmoveable object and no one will mess with the music. I personally can’t stand it when guests at parties get the urge to play DJ, so locking it up is a great way to avoid the music wars.

And yeah, I too am really disappointed that the songs on an iPod don’t fade into one another. There’s nothing worse that those 3 seconds of dead air in between songs at a party. What a buzz kill. :(

Posted by ivapeeva on April 22, 2005 at 1:27 PM (CDT)