Wall Street Journal seeks unique iPod user (updated) | iLounge News

Wall Street Journal seeks unique iPod user (updated)

The Wall Street Journal’s Jim Carlton writes with the following request:

“I am finishing up a story on how folks are using more computer gadgets these days while on vacation. I’d like to include iPod users in this story, and in particular am looking for someone who has used an iPod while on vacation for something unusual - like listening to a book on tape, or learning to speak French, rather than for just listening to music. If anyone has a story to share, please email me at: [link deleted]. My deadline is the next couple of days, and I’d ask that you include name/age/occupation/hometown, and details such as when and where you took the vacation. I’d be sure to email you copy of story once it is published. Thanks again.”

iLounge just might have someone reading who fits the description. If it’s you, please use the link above to e-mail Jim.

Update: Jim received so many responses in the first five minutes of the news story’s posting that he’s overwhelmed. Thanks to all who responded!

« ShuffleClip for iPod shuffle announced

AudioOutfitters intros ezGear clearCase »

Comments

Iv sent him an email with my story smile

Posted by iPodphreak in UK on February 28, 2005 at 2:14 PM (PDT)

Well, I’m trying to learn Italian on my iPod and have also bought all the Jules Verne books (20,000 Leagues under the Sea, etc.).

Posted by Sabon on February 28, 2005 at 3:59 PM (PDT)

I don’t think listening to an audiobook is all that unusual.

Posted by dino in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada on February 28, 2005 at 4:27 PM (PDT)

I mainly use mine so I don’t have to keep buying expensive memory sticks!

Posted by tumblingwall in u.s. on February 28, 2005 at 6:47 PM (PDT)

dino,

I think lost of people look at iPods as MP3 players, for music.  Audiobooks are a very revolutionizing concept for some.

Posted by TennBikeBerk on February 28, 2005 at 7:03 PM (PDT)

yea why pay for expensive memory sticks when you can buy a cheap ipod!  wink

Posted by apple juice in USA on March 1, 2005 at 4:35 AM (PDT)

I get Audiobooks through Audible.com every month for $15, plus “This American Life”. I also have picked up Spanish, French, and now German audio files for learning/brushing up on languages.

Posted by nilspace in Northville, MI on March 1, 2005 at 5:49 AM (PDT)

Well, if the link wasn’t taken off, I could tell him how I often put DVDs in my computer, then record the audio with a mic, and then put the file into iTunes. I have listened many times to DVD audio on vacations. Everything from The Bourne Supremacy to Garfield’s Christmas Special. But lately my favorites have been Red Dwarf (British Comedy) and A Christmas Story. I also have MANY old time radio shows (mainly Sherlock Holmes) as well as many newer radio shows. I have also recorded the audio of sporting events that I downloaded the video for, then put them into iTunes and onto my iPod. ANYTHING with audio, is probably on my computer… My family members telling jokes… got it… sound effects for film projects… got it… My favorite cartoons, movies, and television shows… got them… and sure I’m learning other languages and listening to audio books… but everyone does that. I’d like to hear from someone else who sat down to record the audio for all of the extended Lord of the Rings films… and yeah, I have those too. Let me know if he would be interested in my stories. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted by starperformer in Fort Worth, TX on March 1, 2005 at 6:04 AM (PDT)

I live in the UK and when I travel to the USA I use it to listen to audio books when I wake up at 4 a.m. each morning rather than suffering US night time TV.

I use them with ER6i headphones on aircraft and the sound is awesome - far better than using sound cancelling headphones.

I have only used an Ipod Mini for less than two months but have just bought two more for my daughters as they are so easy to set-up.

Posted by dkoffler in UK on March 1, 2005 at 12:08 PM (PDT)