Warner Bros. rentals coming to Apple TV same day as DVD
Speaking during an investor conference call, Jeff Bewkes, Time Warner’s CEO, said the company’s Warner Bros. studio will now release movies to the Apple TV and other video-on-demand systems on the same day they are released on DVD. The New York Times reports Warner Bros. has been testing the new approach in recent months, and found that DVD rentals only fell by 3-5 percent. Meanwhile sales of DVDs actually increased, possibly due to the increased promotion. Bewkes went on to say that the shift to digital distribution on “day and date” of DVD release will eliminate some manufacturing and distributing costs, and be beneficial to the company. “Taking a customer and moving that person over from rental-physical [to] VOD day-and-date is like a 60 to 70 percent margin instead of a 20 to 30,” Bewkes said. “So it’s about a three-to-one trade.”
Speaking separately in an interview, Warner Bros. home video president Kevin Tsujihara commented on the current restrictions of the DRM found on digital video rentals, such as the 24-hour viewing window. Tsujihara said the rules were built into complex contracts, but admitted that if Time Warner wants the higher margins from video-on-demand, it will need to ensure the rules for a digital rental are at least as lenient as a physical rental.
- YouTube app won’t work on older Apple TVs, versions of iOS starting in May
- Disney pressuring Apple to include more of its channels in upcoming TV service
- HBO Now channel added to Apple TV (Updated)
- New Apple TV model won’t support 4K streaming
- Apple adds CNNgo channel to Apple TV
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Apple Watch unboxing gallery posted
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- FoneFox posts Apple Watch waterproof testing video
- iFixit posts Apple Watch teardown
- Apple posts Apple Watch User Guide
- Apple planning to release new iPod touch later this year?
- Nokia shopping around its Maps division, courting Apple
- Apple Watch pre-orders arriving tomorrow, Apple posts more Guided Tours
- Security flaw opens iOS devices to attack using fake WiFi hotspots
- Security flaw leaves about 1,500 iOS apps vulnerable to attack
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?