WaterField intros iPod Hi-Fi case | iLounge News

WaterField intros iPod Hi-Fi case

image

WaterField Bags has announced the first travel case for Apple’s iPod Hi-Fi. The $149 case features padded nylon construction, play-though functionality, plastic speaker protection, shoulder strap, and five exterior pockets. “To play, just tuck the front flap into rear of the case behind the speaker, plug in the power cord, and drop in your iPod,” says WaterField. The iPod Hi-Fi Speaker Case will ship on April 18th.

« Win free iHome iH5 and more in Thursday live iLounge chat

Mix: iTunes manager, Mobile media, David Spade, Andy Milonakis »

Comments

$150!?!?!?  I could see maybe paying $50 for this.

Posted by B.Mick in Austin, TX on April 4, 2006 at 8:24 AM (PDT)

I finally got a look at the HiFi.  It was alot smaller than I expected…and a lot HEAVIER that I expected!  I don’t care what kind of case you make for this hunk of junk, it’s definitely not what I would call portable—not matter what you encase it in.  Really dumb, Apple.

Posted by mojohand on April 4, 2006 at 8:29 AM (PDT)

Posted by ort on April 4, 2006 at 8:58 AM (PDT)

Posted by ort on April 4, 2006 at 7:58 AM (PST)

Ha ha ha!

Too true.

Posted by uphillslide on April 4, 2006 at 9:13 AM (PDT)

Well… if your going to pay $300-$400 for an iPod + $350 for a Hi-Fi, I can see that person paying $150 for a ‘tote bag’ for it all.

Posted by LilAlienD in Maryland on April 4, 2006 at 9:59 AM (PDT)

“Someone needs to make a case to haul around piles of money. It would probably appeal to the same demographic.
Posted by ort on April 4, 2006 at 7:58 AM (PST)”................

This bag would cost 250 dollars and feature an optional lighter which can be used to just set it all on fire to watch it burn.

Posted by jeremytheindian on April 4, 2006 at 10:15 AM (PDT)

Hey mojohand,

Did you listen to the Hi-Fi, too? You can’t get an opinion on a speaker with just your eyeballs.

14 lbs is too heavy for you? May I suggest exercise, especially weight lifting? Too much time on the couch is bad for you.

The rest of you need a career plan. You can’t go around flipping burgers the rest of your life. Think in terms of managing that MacDonolds someday, okay?

Cheers!

Posted by Happy Phantom on April 4, 2006 at 10:19 AM (PDT)

I did listen to it.  However, the way the speaker sounds is not relevent to how portable it is.  I think it’s too heavy.  I didn’t say I couldn’t lift it.  There’s no need for personal attacks here.

Posted by mojohand on April 4, 2006 at 10:34 AM (PDT)

Wow. Now even iPod accessories have accessories.

Posted by iDZ on April 4, 2006 at 10:39 AM (PDT)

I just bought four of these.  Yep… took my salary for an 8 hour day and decided that because I have a good career that pays well I should go around and prove it to people to satisfy my inner ego.  Now when people see my cool iPod, HiFi, and four overpriced carrying cases they will know that I am well cultured, eduacated, and should be envied wherever I go.

Posted by Primetime on April 4, 2006 at 11:32 AM (PDT)

My only gripe about this bag is that it appears that the flap that covers the front (while carrying) isn’t solid and may not provide enough protection for the speaker drivers.

As for Hi-Fi bashing, I don’t get it…  I don’t know how people can be totally OK with the notion of an iPod costing $300, but totally incensed at the idea of a Hi-Fi costing $350?  Curious to know how many of these critics have actually seen and listened to one.  The Altec Lansing IM7 and Bose Sound Dock are nearly as expensive, yet are not nearly as well made (the Hi-Fi feels like it was chiseled from a billet of resin!), don’t play as loud or sound nearly as “musical”.  And the Sound Dock won’t work on batteries, which completely rules it out as a portable.  And at 14lbs, it’s certainly light enough to haul from bedroom to workshop, etc.. .  Geez, ever carry a bag of golf clubs for 18 holes??

Posted by syd123 on April 4, 2006 at 3:25 PM (PDT)

Waterfield Designs make some fantastic stuff, but $150???

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on April 4, 2006 at 5:32 PM (PDT)

I’m with you syd. The iPod Hi Fi sounds way better than the Bose SoundDock and is priced to compete with that unit (which isn’t really portable, either). I don’t get the “overpriced” comments at all.

Posted by elob on April 4, 2006 at 6:11 PM (PDT)

I guess the next thing we can expect is a HiFi fanny pack.

Posted by jeremytheindian on April 4, 2006 at 7:03 PM (PDT)

I agree that the iPod Hi-Fi sounds great…and with this bag for it, sure it is worth having if you want to protect your investment.  150.00 is a little stiffed but if you shop around maybe you will find this at a lower price.  Remember this is just suggested retail price.

Posted by Oliver on April 4, 2006 at 9:36 PM (PDT)