Wedding called off over $8K one-month iTunes tab | iLounge News

Wedding called off over $8K one-month iTunes tab

In response to a call for readers’ most embarrassing DVD purchases, Entertainment Weekly’s Dalton Ross received a note from one woman who claims that she called off her wedding because her fiancé bought more than 8,000 songs from the iTunes Store... in one month.

“I used to wonder how my husband-to-be had more than 700 music CDs and more than 300 movie DVDs and hundreds and hundreds of record albums until I discovered that he had $43,000 in credit-card debt,” Susan P. writes. “In looking at his last bill (for one month) he had charged more than 8,000 iTunes at 99 cents each and had charges at places that sell music and movies, too. This guy made $45,000 a year. Called off the wedding.”

[via TUAW]

« Sharper Image offers iPulse Bear

Paramount sues to stop loading of DVDs onto iPods »

Comments

To be fair, 8000 songs at $.99 each is $7920, not $8000.  Cut the guy some slack! :)

I guess he should have signed up for one of those shady Russian “all you can download” sites for $2/mo. or whatever.

Posted by Mike on November 17, 2006 at 3:18 PM (CST)

At least he didn’t steal music.

Posted by Randy on November 17, 2006 at 3:40 PM (CST)

sigh.

Posted by mflat5 in USA on November 17, 2006 at 4:27 PM (CST)

but they were all love songs dedicated to her. c’mon.

Posted by gbendana on November 17, 2006 at 4:32 PM (CST)

An $8,000 case of ADD.

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on November 17, 2006 at 4:38 PM (CST)

Lessee…at a rate of $15 a month, that one month on iTMS would bought him over 44 YEARS of rentals just about anywhere else.

Guess he jus’ can’t put a (monetary) limit on that ol’ pride of ownership thang.

Posted by flatline response on November 17, 2006 at 4:48 PM (CST)

Too bad though that the Zune Marketplace won’t be around in 44 weeks, much less 44 years…..

Posted by RC on November 17, 2006 at 4:51 PM (CST)

I got a hold of the list.

All my loving- The Beatles…
Dedicated to the one I love- Mamas & Papas…
My heart will go on- Celine Dion…
With or without you-U2….
Bye Bye Bye-Nsinc….????
Phat bottom girls- Queen( wait a minute, you F&@!##ing You)

Posted by gbendana on November 17, 2006 at 4:54 PM (CST)

I can understand having 8,000 songs on your iPod, but buying them all in one month?  That’s idiotic. You can’t possibly listen to them all at once.

Posted by rainking187 on November 17, 2006 at 7:06 PM (CST)

I find it hard to imagine you could even have the time to _download_ 8000 songs in a month.

Posted by Lawrence Mikkelsen in New Zealand on November 17, 2006 at 8:29 PM (CST)

Actually, 8000 songs in a month is very doable. Assuming a song is 4MB in size we’re talking about a 32GB download. If you’re spreading the download over the entire month it’ll mean about 1GB per day, or 12KB/s - Even a low-speed DSL line can handle this. If you’re living in a place with fast broadband, you can download those 8000 songs in one day or less.

Posted by wesley on November 17, 2006 at 11:00 PM (CST)

He should have pirated his music.

Posted by Jake on November 17, 2006 at 11:24 PM (CST)

I’m with Jake. Steal it. There are far worse crimes than pirating music. I honestly believe their is nothing wrong with it. Spare me you tree hugging comments.

Posted by Lake on November 18, 2006 at 1:07 AM (CST)

Betcha you’ll regret this posting of yours when MSFT pulls the plug at 44 weeks, one day. Then again…maybe not.

Spare me you(r) tree hugging comments.

You kill trees when you pirate music? Dude, you ARE evil.

Posted by flatline response on November 18, 2006 at 4:07 AM (CST)

flatline response….

it’s ok, they were evil trees, they deserved to die

Posted by SouthernGothic on November 18, 2006 at 6:35 AM (CST)

<<There are far worse crimes than pirating music.>>
Like robbing your house? If that’s cool I’ll come over while your gone and take some of your stuff… there are worse crimes!

<<I honestly believe their is nothing wrong with it.>>
(it’s spelled THERE by the way)

Perhaps you don’t mind not getting paid for your job, and that’s great. Other people might not be so fortunate as you though.

Posted by kebot1 on November 19, 2006 at 6:10 AM (CST)

Smart woman…I’d let him go too!

Posted by Andipod on November 19, 2006 at 10:53 AM (CST)

Since you guys are burning Pirates I figure I might as well jump in. I download some songs for free every blue moon. But to be fair, nearly 75 percent of my music is indie and I get to actually talk to the artist. They don’t care as long as you can come to show’s buy merch and whatnot. I find myself buying the CD if its that good, cause you gotta eat to.

By the way most artist who hate pirateing are the ones with Million dollar deals with a collective of alchol, soft drink, and clothing company’s. They usually complain about piracy while sitting in thier mansion trying to remember how they came to loose there soul

Posted by Teflon Don Da Da on November 19, 2006 at 12:54 PM (CST)

Maybe if the record companies start releasing more solid stuff, as opposed to the “hit single” and a bunch of filler, I would acutally buy more albums. Plus most of that money doesn’t go to the artist anyway. The artists get the big bucks when, like Teflon Don Da Da says, people go to the shows and buy swag and other merchandise. Most of the money from album sales goes to the record companies, managers, studios (producers, engineers, etc.etc.etc.), artists or photographers and sometimes songwriters and debts that the band owes. The only reason Metallica (Oh god I’m saying their name… I’m waiting for Lars to show up at my door at any minute now) gave a damn about their music being pirated is because they recieved one of the best record deals known (I think it was like 50 cents per album sale). And now that they have or are starting their own label their are gonna get a nice chunk of the future album sales.

Anyway I’m glad to see that there’s people out there looking out for the record labels. More power to you people.

Posted by shinriceface on November 19, 2006 at 1:18 PM (CST)

Oh I forgot a really funny example. I don’t think the Beatles would care if you pirated their stuff cause they don’t even own it. Michael Jackson does. Mull that over.

Posted by shinriceface on November 19, 2006 at 1:21 PM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >