Welcome, new iPod owners! | iLounge News

Welcome, new iPod owners!

If Santa brought you an iPod this year, then you’re at the right place. Whether you got a video iPod, an iPod nano, iPod shuffle, or even a previous generation iPod or iPod mini, iLounge will help you get the most out your new favorite gadget. If you’re looking to accessorize your iPod, check out our extensive list of iPod accessory reviews or the latest iPod accessory news. You can find answers to common iPod questions in our Ask iLounge and iPod 101 & 201 sections. If you want to ask a specific question or just chat with other iPod owners, hop on over to the iLounge Forums. And be sure to download our free Holiday Buyers’ Guide, which is loaded with tons of cool iPod gear and info.

« Record companies investigated over digital music pricing

Apple offers free Battlestar Galactica, SNL videos on iTunes »

Comments

This seems like a real coming out time for iPod, when I saw the iPod only kiosks in Wal-mart, I knew that they had really reached mainstream America.  I have owned all generations (wish I still had that 5gig with the wheel), and look forward to what’s next.

Posted by Paul on December 26, 2005 at 8:06 AM (CST)

That makes me one year old iLounger!

Posted by lovepoke in Paradise on December 26, 2005 at 9:31 AM (CST)

My Question is :
Where do u find IPODS under $300 and have over 1000 songs? if you have an answer please e-mail me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).
i need any information you have. Thanks

Posted by Jessica on December 26, 2005 at 12:11 PM (CST)

yeah i got me a nano but i have been a member for a few months but its great to finally be a true member!

Posted by photofire on December 26, 2005 at 1:58 PM (CST)

I didn’t get a new iPod (mine’s only 1 1/2 years old, and far from full), but my daughter got a Nano, from her boyfriend. First problem: waiting 4 hours for the Nano to charge. Second: they thought they could just copy music directly to the Nano. I explained that iTunes had to be used to rip CDs. As they were getting ready to transfer the first CD (Christmas music) from iTunes to the Nano, their puppy chewed on the cable, and cut it. The Nano can’t get music. They’re making the rounds at Radio Shack, Best Buy, and other stores today.

Apple needs to make a dog proof cable, apparently, and boyfriend made the comment that Apple (or someone else) needs to make an adapter to use standard USB cables for data transfers.

Posted by FloydC on December 26, 2005 at 2:02 PM (CST)

I am now a true member, and the proud owner of a black 30GB video ipod! I have about 500 songs so far, but I’m not quite sure how to put movies on it, I have a few video podcasts , so if anyone knows how to put movies (DVD’s) on , it would be extremly helpful. THANKS!

Posted by Stehanie on December 26, 2005 at 2:41 PM (CST)

I’m pretty sure there’s one here at ilounge.com - not a very good search so maybe someone at the lounge can point up the link ... if not, if you’re savvy & a mac user:

If you own a PC - can’t help you but I’m sure there’s stuff on the ‘net.

Posted by jbelkin on December 26, 2005 at 5:36 PM (CST)

“Apple (or someone else) needs to make an adapter to use standard USB cables for data transfers.”

Well, back in the day, Apple used to only have firewire adapters (super-fast), but since they decided to cater to the Windows world, where USB is the sluggish norm, they opted to drop the firewire.

Posted by The Raven on December 26, 2005 at 5:42 PM (CST)

@ Stehanie

If you use a Mac, you should get the freeware application called Handbrake.  It’s fantastic!!!

Posted by The Raven on December 26, 2005 at 5:44 PM (CST)

Whoohoo, I’m now an official ipod owner. I’m just sitting here with this stupid smile on my face watching itunes transfer 20GBs of music to my ipod. There’s really no reason to stay home anymore!

Posted by PabloR on December 26, 2005 at 6:12 PM (CST)

i just got a nano for xmas and i’m waiting for it to come in the mail. im so excited! anything is should know when i get it- any tips or tricks?

Posted by katie on December 26, 2005 at 7:27 PM (CST)

Help,bought son 20gb 4 xmas,tried loading music but not having it.Keeps coming up with a folder & exclamation mark on the display.Tried reset several times,still not working.Is there anything i can try b4 i take it back.

Posted by mozza on December 26, 2005 at 7:43 PM (CST)

I love n00bs. They remind you of the enthusiasm you had when you bought your first Apple product. I’m typing this from the iMac G5 1.8Ghz and I’ve never been happier with my computer.

Posted by RedStarr on December 26, 2005 at 8:31 PM (CST)

mozza, it might be that your itunes was incorrectly installed, if so, reinstall itunes and give it another shot.  if that doesn’t work you might want to consider (if you paid $300 for the 20gb)getting store credit, depending on where you bought it, or exchaning it for a full refund, and buying your son a 30gb.  That is unless you got this ipod for a low price.  And do you mean that itunes would not allow songs into it, or do you mean it won’t play on the ipod.  Most likely it is itunes, a reinstall should clear it up.  Let me know what happens.

Posted by brian on December 26, 2005 at 8:31 PM (CST)

Thanks, Brian. ipod won’t play anything. He has a harddrive full of music on the computer and has succesfully downloaded some to his friend’s mini. Will try reinstalling itunes though.

Posted by mozza on December 26, 2005 at 8:58 PM (CST)

I’m the proud new owner of a black 60gb iPod.  I don’t think I’ve ever been so thrilled with a Christmas present!

Posted by MrCuriousity54 on December 26, 2005 at 9:08 PM (CST)

Well, I too have entered the iPod Nation.  I got a white, 60-gig video iPod for Christmas yesterday and am loving it so far.  I’m still (of course) trying to figure out all the little nuances of it and there are a few things I’m trying to discover (like adding album art), but the first thing I’ve gotta get working is my CD drive on my computer to even install the software.  Ah, jeez.  :)  Not a big deal…I’m sure I’ll get it, but it sure is annoying for right now.  :)  Hope to read a LOT of good things here.

Posted by mpmarsee on December 26, 2005 at 11:04 PM (CST)

As a fellow iPod owner I have a handful of recommendations.

- Buy a case if you care about aesthetics or if you are a klutz.

- Buy an extended service plan.  You’ll be glad you did 14 months after the purchase.

- If you have a problem and the onus is on Apple to fix or remedy - don’t expect much assistance from them unless you purchase a service plan.  As far as tech support is concerned, this place is better than the techs I have spoken to at the Apple customer service line or the showerless ones at the Apple store.

- Don’t say anything anti-Apple here.  Such posts get deleted with impunity.

Posted by Fishwish on December 26, 2005 at 11:24 PM (CST)

The Christmas 2005 Ipod Shuffle just plain doesn’t work with Windows - either that or batting 0 for 3 is the norm…

My Nephew brought over his brand new Ipod Shuffle this evening, having been unable to get any of the songs he purchased to play on it using his dad’s PC.  He really wanted to hear those songs.  So I spent the next 5 hours trying to make this work - I have over 20 years in the software industry, and knowing Apple’s reputation, I figured this shouldn’t be a problem. Well, two Windows PCs and a visit to the local Appple store later, I can confirm that the device is 100% compatible with the Apple at the local store (i.e. it is not defective), and 0% compatible with both the Windows XP machine and the Windows 200 laptop at my house;  This device has not yet played a single note of a song purchased on a Windows machine.  Do you suppose we’ll get our money back?

We would not appear to the only ones having problems.  I see quite a bit of traffic on the discussion board at Apple about this, offering various remedies such as using an OLDER version of the software and meticulous ordering of operations under windows:

I’ve tried these various remedies, but not successful. In any case my patience has become exahausted, and my nephew has to leave.

My conclusion is that the Apple folks simply should not have put this product into the market, as they’re attention is elsewhere, and they clearly don’t have the bandwidth to bring it to the quality level expected of their brand. I’ve advised my Nephew to return the device and buy something else to his liking.  It’s a real shame Apple has decided to stretch itself too thin on this matter; I have always enjoyed Apple’s groundbreaking efforts in user interface technology; I’ve been sadly disappointed in this first exposure to their line of consumer electronics.

Doug Fults

Posted by dfults on December 27, 2005 at 12:36 AM (CST)

hi, i just reiceved a 30g ipod for christmas. but i’ve spent hours trying to get movies n it but they won’t go on? if you no how will you email me or write back on this lounge?

Posted by jason Creaser on December 27, 2005 at 10:38 AM (CST)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >