Welcome, new iPod owners! | iLounge News

Welcome, new iPod owners!

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Sunday, December 25, 2005
News Categories: Site News

If Santa brought you an iPod this year, then you’re at the right place. Whether you got a video iPod, an iPod nano, iPod shuffle, or even a previous generation iPod or iPod mini, iLounge will help you get the most out your new favorite gadget. If you’re looking to accessorize your iPod, check out our extensive list of iPod accessory reviews or the latest iPod accessory news. You can find answers to common iPod questions in our Ask iLounge and iPod 101 & 201 sections. If you want to ask a specific question or just chat with other iPod owners, hop on over to the iLounge Forums. And be sure to download our free Holiday Buyers’ Guide, which is loaded with tons of cool iPod gear and info.

« Record companies investigated over digital music pricing

Apple offers free Battlestar Galactica, SNL videos on iTunes »

Comments

my email is .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted by jason creaser on December 27, 2005 at 9:25 AM (PDT)

Try looking here Jason…

Posted by SJR on December 27, 2005 at 10:22 AM (PDT)

“Well, two Windows PCs and a visit to the local Appple store later, I can confirm that the device is 100% compatible with the Apple at the local store (i.e. it is not defective), and 0% compatible with both the Windows XP machine and the Windows 200 laptop at my house; This device has not yet played a single note of a song purchased on a Windows machine.”

I’m sorry, but if that is the case, it certainly sounds like the problem definitely lies with your two Windows PCs and not with the iPod…

Posted by SJR on December 27, 2005 at 11:06 AM (PDT)

dfults: Have you tried updating/restoring the shuffle with the latest updater? (apple.com/ipod/download)

Posted by [zero] on December 27, 2005 at 12:05 PM (PDT)

I have had a 4th gen and just got the new one.  Love it but I can’t understand the whole ‘dropping firewire for the pc users’ thing.  I am a PC user and I simply bought a firewire PCI card for my computer way back and had lighning fast transfers… now my new iPod won’t work with that???

Posted by Jim on December 27, 2005 at 4:53 PM (PDT)

I think they decided to drop the firewire support because of the flexibility firewire offered.  I got a 30GB 5th Gen Vid Ipod and its great.  I had a 4GB mini before.  After upgrading my itunes and installing the 30GB, my 4GB is incompatible now with my pc laptop. When I attempted to connect my 30GB Vid Ipod to my desktop pc, it froze my vid ipod and i’d have to wait for the batt to drain before I can use it again.  If I connected my mini to my pc laptop, I cannot drag and drop music into it.  With USB, I think you can only assign one Ipod to one machine, PERIOD. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong)

With 4th gen, you can connect it to any pc and get the music onto your 4th gen, but itunes will not let you extract the music from it to your pc.  (Third-party software is required for that)

I do miss the firewire support, but Apple is making Itunes more difficult in transferring music from other sources.

Posted by Brian on December 27, 2005 at 5:49 PM (PDT)

They dropped the firewire support becasue the firewire chip in the ipod was larger than that of the USB chip.  So to make the new ipod smaller they had to get rid of the firewire chip and use the wide spread USB chip. Personally, I don’t mind waiting a few minutes longer for the Ipod to update.

Also has anyone noticed that with USB it takes longer for Itunes to recognize the Ipod and start to update it?

Posted by Eddie on December 27, 2005 at 6:19 PM (PDT)

lol i like the guy who said n00bs, thats funny he is so 1337, but anyway i just got a 60gig 5th gen iPod and i am overwhelmed by the amount of freespace i have on it even though i put my entire music library on it and some videos…but my problem is that it has made duplicates of some songs and im just like wtf? anybody else have this probleM? if so just post it or even better email me. dont mean to be a n00b ..(lol)but i just dont like annoyances like these ones w/ such an amazing piece of equipment

Posted by D C on December 28, 2005 at 1:01 AM (PDT)

oh dang, i forgot one thing, i have been looking for a protective cover for my ipod that will allow use while still protecting the ipod , particularly a hard case cover but not too bulky…somebody please help me out , there are sooo many different products out there and if you could just reccommend something for me and make my decision easier, that would be great. i got a 60GB 5th gen video pod so help me out plz

Posted by D C on December 28, 2005 at 1:08 AM (PDT)

Brian, Tried uninstalling and reinstalling itunes, but to no avail. Got in touch with Apple U.K (bit sceptical after reading some of the comments about their customer care)  and a lovely lady there, talked my son through the procedure of wiping everything on the ipod and reinstalling the whole system again. It’s now working great. Thanks anyway. Can anyone suggest a decent looking speaker system for it, have seen the JBL system recommended on another website, and my son has xmas money burning a hole in his pocket.

Posted by mozza on December 28, 2005 at 5:21 AM (PDT)

D C, go to iTunes, Edit > Show Duplicate songs. Then, get rid of one of the duplicates and leave the other one. That should do it.

Posted by Adam on December 28, 2005 at 11:33 AM (PDT)

Hey for the guy who wants a hard case.  Look at the agent 18 videoshield.  I got one an I absolutely love it.  Though you may want to have an airduster handy because dust will get in between the Ipod and the case.  I also put a PDA screen protector over the screen part.  Make sure you use a protector that is anti-glare and for a color PDA.

Posted by Eddie on December 28, 2005 at 12:13 PM (PDT)

I got the new ipod 5g and it is BIC*IN!
i found some software to convert videos and it works, but i got qiquke time pro, and i start converting and the conversion stops at 8%.
what shall i do?

thx!

and enjoy the new 2006 with the new ipod

Posted by arsenij on December 28, 2005 at 12:27 PM (PDT)

how do u put your own personal dvds on to a 30 gb ipod without spending any money please respong thanks

Posted by kyle on December 28, 2005 at 7:09 PM (PDT)

To convert video try
iSquint http://www.isquint.org/
Podner http://www.splasm.com/
MPEGStreamClip http://www.alfanet.it/squared5

To put your DVD’s on iPod use HandBrake
or Handbrake Lite (never tried)

There are many other software you could use but these work and are simple.

Posted by iPod_Joe_Blow_ on December 28, 2005 at 9:21 PM (PDT)

i love my new ipod with video, black is sexxy!!!but my baby scratches eazy

Posted by jose velasquez on December 28, 2005 at 10:22 PM (PDT)

I got an 30GB ipod video for xmas. Its gr8 excepts one thing. i download mpeg video files, but when i go to convert them on quicktime pro it works except when the video is put onto my ipod there is no audio as the orignal file is MPEG-1 muxed.
Does anyone know what i can do to solve my problem. plz HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by callum on December 29, 2005 at 6:44 AM (PDT)

My new 30gb ipod video is not being recognized by itunes. Had the same problem with ipod mini had to use firewire to get it to work. Apple support is no help they just have you run checks on USB ports which I had already done then he tells me to go by a new USB port another 42.00 dollars, same problem. Can anybody help me.

Posted by Mark47 on December 29, 2005 at 7:42 AM (PDT)

Just bought the IPOD (30 gig) video (black). I have been hearing about the need to get a case immediately. any suggestions?

Posted by Bruce Kleinline on December 29, 2005 at 8:40 AM (PDT)

Ok so i bought the 30GB Video iPod and i tried to take dvds and put them on my windows pc but there is no way. please give me info it would help alot.

Posted by Jeremy Efron on December 29, 2005 at 11:23 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >