Welcome to the new iLounge! | iLounge News

Welcome to the new iLounge!

Over the past six and a half years, Apple’s digital media device family has grown from one iPod and iTunes to include iPhone, Apple TV, and much more: today, there are four different current-generation iPods in 24 different versions to choose from, new updates to iTunes on a weekly or bi-weekly basis, and game-changing software updates for both the iPhone and Apple TV.

While iLounge has grown dramatically to cover all of these products, our main page has been bursting at the seams trying to handle it all. Comprehensive looks at new product releases, reports on different countries and companies, reader-submitted photographs, news, and tutorials have all had to fight for very limited real estate, sometimes disappearing from our main page within only a day of initial posting. If you’ve been looking for something that appeared on iLounge only a day or two ago, chances are good that you had to search for it.

Our new design remedies that. Sit back, or click once on the expanded main page, and you’ll find that all of our biggest and latest stories are right in front of you. Expanded feature, review, and news pages have more room for larger photographs, and more readable text. A bigger, easier navigation bar provides faster access to the site’s many sections. Access to our downloadable publications, created to help you get quick answers to your iPod/iPhone use and accessory buying questions, is always available at the bottom of the screen. And soon, you’ll find an improved translation feature that better converts our content into different languages, as well as major reworkings of the many section satellite pages linked from the main page.

We’re still tweaking a number of the site’s features, including fixing some broken links, and adding back things that have disappeared from the main page during the transition. Please report any serious bugs you discover to [email protected], as we work to bring the new iLounge up to full speed. Enjoy!

« iPhone now fourth-largest browsing platform

Mix: iSpeaker, Translation, Jaikoz, iViewr »

Comments

Terrible !

I never posted here. (But I read)
But the first person that said “you hired apple web designers ?”
Please Do !!!!!!

“Shame on You” Ilounge !

This is really bad. You are the first onces to invent a new way of advertising:  in the bottom wink

Jean-Pierre

Posted by JPB on March 1, 2008 at 2:49 PM (PDT)

I prefer the old design.

The glow or shadow around the menu font looks odd, the new box with the changing images isn’t as clear or as easy to view as the old one, and it also takes a while to load, causing longer page loading times.

The drop down bars down the left hand side seem to wide causing a distraction when reading the news.

Finally as said the footer needs to go, why on earth was it designed like that!?

Posted by Mike on March 1, 2008 at 4:37 PM (PDT)

Yeah, I have to say it’s really unusable…
I haven’t tried on my Touch yet, but this is form over function at it’s worst.

Posted by slb on March 1, 2008 at 5:01 PM (PDT)

The new design is not compatible with Windows XP’s High Contrast theme. That’s a pity…

And the footer is annoying.

Posted by Ben on March 1, 2008 at 5:17 PM (PDT)

it looks great guys! good work!

i dont think the images are loading in the news stories on the front page :/

also switching from long to short to headlines doesn’t seem to change anything.

Posted by John Tylko on March 1, 2008 at 9:40 PM (PDT)

Hey guys! Love the simpler colour scheme. Elegant, cool navigation. Some things don’t work but these’ll worked out soon I guess.

The footer is a unique solution that users will soon get used to wink

As always, congrats for your hard work!

Posted by ginalee on March 2, 2008 at 1:17 AM (PDT)

Under (my config of ?) Firefox3 beta3 the 3 extended headlines at the top of the page (the changing ones) do not appear.

footer! - enough said

Posted by yakir on March 2, 2008 at 1:57 AM (PDT)

The new design doesn’t work at all on the iPod touch:

- the stationary footer isn’t stationary and splits the story about the redesign in half. The first half fades away around the footer and the second half fades in from the top. It means the story can’t be read in full as the footer is blocking part of the paragraph.

- the three rotating story panes at the top are just blank, grey fields. The stories that are there on my Mac don’t show up on the touch.  Only the top field works properly.

Posted by Chundles on March 2, 2008 at 2:00 AM (PDT)

Looks nice. Don’t mind the footer, but it IS an ad, even if it’s for your own site (for now). Also when the comment box is partially off the screen and obscured by the footer (like when I’m writing this), weird things happen with the cursor. Using FF2.x, it disappeared altogether when I tried to backspace and wouldn’t come back until I scrolled the entire page up so the editor box was free of the footer obscuring it.

Also ran into a problem with the pulldowns on the left of the homepage. One or two Backstage links came up blank.

Posted by flatline response on March 2, 2008 at 7:04 AM (PDT)

Although nice work overall, here’s another vote for losing the footer… Makes me want to leave the site as quickly as possible, I have to say :(

Posted by Christian on March 2, 2008 at 7:52 AM (PDT)

As an addendum to my post #30 -

The space for the second-level menu on top is way too narrow so that more often than not you land in a different top-level menu or at least exit the second-level menu… Inexperienced users will get frustrated, experienced users possibly annoyed.

Posted by Christian on March 2, 2008 at 7:57 AM (PDT)

Nuke the annoying static frame at the bottom, it just wastes real estate.

Posted by m.s. on March 2, 2008 at 10:29 AM (PDT)

Overall, I like the redesign, but I agree with others that the footer doesn’t need to be omnipresent. On my MacBook, it takes up approximately one-sixth of the available vertical space.

Posted by Jason Clarke on March 2, 2008 at 6:48 PM (PDT)

iLounge.. you’re a great resource, but the footer HAS TO GO.

Posted by BB on March 2, 2008 at 7:32 PM (PDT)

I’m thankful the footer is soon disappearing. Other than that, the only complaint I have is that the site is harder to view on my crappy 800x600, 17 inch monitor. I have to side scroll to view things properly, which didnt use to happen before. Not all of us have good monitors, so the site should work well for all of us regardless of the setup.

Posted by Eqblues on March 3, 2008 at 12:32 AM (PDT)

Glad to see you are taking the comments about the footer on board. I’m surprised it got past any design/usability meetings as it appears to be immediately obvious (as evidenced by the multiple comments).

I like the redesign other than the fact that youve said youve done it for more real estate but when you are at the top of the page the banner and footer take up about half of the browser window. Did your web people have mad sized monitors ? smile

The only other slightly weird thing is the way the flash(?) overlap the footers when you scroll. Look forward to seeing the site with the footer reduced, and reading all the content which is the most important thing.

Posted by robroe in Manchester, UK on March 3, 2008 at 3:08 AM (PDT)

Site is fine but lose the awful footer

Posted by ptrendy on March 3, 2008 at 3:35 AM (PDT)

I agree with a lot of the other comments. Wonderful new design, horrible footer!

Posted by lynkz on March 3, 2008 at 4:03 AM (PDT)

Everything’s great but the footer…

Posted by Cubee on March 3, 2008 at 4:04 AM (PDT)

I like the bigger, bolder graphics in the sidebars.  I dislike the permanent footer a great deal.  It takes up a lot of “precious real estate” for legal things and a pitch for the Buyer’s Guide.  Don’t get me wrong; I love the Buyer’s Guide, but as a daily reader of iLounge, I don’t need so much space on my browser taken up by a dedicated link to it.

So far the site is playing nicely with Firefox, but the load time is a little long.  Also, as its loading there are some wonky things happening: overlapping text.  Since I usually click away from the front page before the front page is entirely loaded, this overlapping text makes it difficult for me.

So, good aesthetic design.  Functionally it’s not great for me, a regular, daily reader.

Posted by alexarch in Dallas, TX on March 3, 2008 at 8:34 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >