“We’re ’Pod people” | iLounge News

“We’re ’Pod people”

“You’ve seen us. On the bus. In class. Walking across campus, strolling down Telegraph Avenue. We’re everywhere. We’re ’Pod people.

iPod people, to be exact—the creepy “Invasion of the Body Snatchers” connection hadn’t dawned on me until I was recently hailed as “Hey! ‘Pod girl!” by a cute boy in my French class. But since I’ve come to class every day this semester with the Best Christmas Present Ever strapped to my hip and The White Stripes blasting in my ears, I can see how the ‘Pod could become my most identifiable characteristic.”

« What happened to iLounge yesterday?

Mac: iPod mini will not work as bootable drive »

Comments

The way some people talk, you’d think the iPod was in a league of its own in terms of looks.  It isn’t - wake up & smell the onions! Interesting that Joe mentioned iRiver - I used to use one of their flash players, which was much more ingenious in its design. The battery lasted up to 20 hours too, it was smaller, had a radio, acted as a dictaphone and - dare I say it - sounded better too. The reason I gave in to the iPod was for the memory capacity.

Posted by Pedlop in Blighty on February 28, 2004 at 12:28 AM (PDT)

its sad hearing people still trying to defend their lesser mp3 players against the ipod.

Posted by ipod > iriver on February 28, 2004 at 11:14 AM (PDT)

How are all mp3 players “lesser” than iPods?

One thing I like about the free market is choice. The iPod works well for a specific set of circumstances, requirements, and budgets, but not so well for others.

No device is perfect for all people for all time.

Posted by ipod > all ? on February 28, 2004 at 12:27 PM (PDT)

Nicely summed up by “iPod > all ?” there.  As I said, I did buy an iPod… what I’d love to see is one with better batteries and the ability to create your own sound settings, as opposed to relying on a number of presets, which range from ‘good’ to ‘a bit dubious’. And a digital radio built in.  And the ability to record directly from the same.  One day I am sure it will come…

Posted by Pedlop on February 28, 2004 at 12:39 PM (PDT)

Hrm. iPod = chick magnet. Guess I should start carrying it around more…

Posted by spamguy on February 28, 2004 at 1:16 PM (PDT)

I like my ‘pod I bought it last September just before the big rush over here in Britain. But to be honest i’m sick of hearing about them everyday, i’ve stopped using mine as much and sometimes feel daft wearing the original headphones.
I like the idea but to be honest I bought it because it looked the best at the time, not due to it being an iPod. I just wish the media would stop making them out to be something revolutionary and just let us the owners of the iPod carry on enjoying them. As for all these “i love my ‘pod and people notice me and ask me things etc etc blah blah” people .. a few words spring to mind.. attention seeking?

Posted by Pecker on March 1, 2004 at 4:47 AM (PDT)

I loved my ipod when it was generally unknown and exclusive. people often asked me “oooh whats that?” and i loved showing them, now they are overhyped and over exposed and not as cool.

Its still a great peice of kit but i would never dream of wearing on a belt clip i’d just feel a bit of a poser

Posted by Whistler in Norwich, UK on March 1, 2004 at 7:25 AM (PDT)

If you don’t appreciate the hype, the pod-talk, the philosophical musings about life in the iPod cult, then what are you doing in the iPodlounge?  Please go away.

Posted by alter-ergo on March 1, 2004 at 12:03 PM (PDT)

“Life in the iPod Cult”?

Give me a break! Just because you own an iPod does not make you a part of any cult or philosophical movement! You own a piece of technology! It’s cool! It plays back music!  Now get over it already! Half of the people that own iPods are not even cool! They’re mostly upper west-side yuppies or lower east side wannabee VIP’s. I see them on the subways every day in NYC! Their playlists suck!

Posted by Stylescraper on March 1, 2004 at 1:06 PM (PDT)

And for the record, I own a 40G 3G model! It’s not as if anybody cares!

P.S. - My playlists don’t suck!

Posted by Stylescraper on March 1, 2004 at 1:09 PM (PDT)

If any or all of your songs are currently being aired on VH1, MTV or BET then I think you need to re-evaluate how cool you think you are!

Ownership of an iPod does not, I repeat, DOES NOT mean you’re cool!

Posted by Stylescraper on March 1, 2004 at 1:20 PM (PDT)

“what are you doing in the iPodlounge?”

I’m here for the chicks.

Posted by Chicks on March 1, 2004 at 3:40 PM (PDT)

Just because i’m in the iPodlounge doesn’t mean I want to praise the iPod beyond belief or effectively butt-kiss each other regarding how “cool” we are. I simply want to keep updated on the latest developments for the iPod, mainly hardware based. Stories like this attract my attention simply because of how “lets talk about me” they are, its kinda laughable. I simply want a device that plays back music I now have one. Its called and iPod and thats what it does.

Posted by Pecker on March 1, 2004 at 11:51 PM (PDT)

You are simply repeating what I said in my previous posts “Pecker”. (Scroll up to read my earliest post!) Although the design has set the standard for future devices, the iPod is simply another device. Owning one does not make you a part of a cult or philosophical movement! My previous statements were exagerrated to express that point!

Posted by Stylescraper on March 2, 2004 at 5:08 AM (PDT)

Stylescraper I can’t help it if I voice my views and they are similar to yours. After reading your comments I found mine to be slightly less confrontational. I hadn’t read your comments previously after scanning the debate.

Posted by Pecker on March 2, 2004 at 5:52 AM (PDT)

It’s not a question of who’s post is more “confrontational”. People, please post new thoughts and ideas in this forum, nobody wants to read eight or nine interpretations of the same idea!

Posted by Stylescraper on March 2, 2004 at 6:00 AM (PDT)

I just use my ipod headphones without plugging them into anything…....the look of suprise on the theifs face when the try and steal it is worth the fact that I am not actually using my ipod….

Posted by mark on March 2, 2004 at 8:23 AM (PDT)

“We’re Pod people”

Eccchhh! Sounds like a bad remake of “Invasion of the Body Snatchers!”

Posted by Stylescraper on March 2, 2004 at 9:25 AM (PDT)

great comment pete lav, in a few sentence fragments you obliterated the entire purpose of existence for her entire piece. i’d send it to her editor, but he or she probably doesn’t know who kurt vonnegut is.

Posted by nihil8r on March 2, 2004 at 9:24 PM (PDT)

I’m almost afraid to get involved, but I just wanted to say that, despite all the rhetoric, we are all here because we own, or have an interest in, iPods. Whether this makes us ‘cool’ is pretty much beside the point, as that is more of a self esteem issue, rather than a material issue.

I’m just excited to own one, (even though I’ve only had mine for two days). I use macs all day, and have always enjoyed the way they work, that was the reason, more than anything, why I personally saved my money to get one.

Posted by abs.* on March 3, 2004 at 8:21 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2