What do you want in iTunes | iLounge News

What do you want in iTunes

In a recent poll, Macworld UK readers were asked what features should be added to iTunes.

“The most popular choice was a means of automatically identifying and deleting duplicated songs (26 per cent). One reader suggested Apple could add a “flag duplicates” option.

Close behind (21 per cent) was the ability to mix tracks like a DJ

Comments

I like the dup option.

Posted by Josh on March 10, 2004 at 10:48 AM (CST)

I’d be happy if I could assign multiple genres to a track, so, for example, a soundtrack which is also jazz would appear under both categories.

Even better, though, would be better handling of multiple artists.  Say “Artist A” and “Artist B” worked together on a track, I’d love a way to have “A” and “B” appear as seperate entries in the Artist browser, instead of one single “A & B” entry.  It would really clean up a lot of the duplicated names in my list.

Posted by Jon Eccleston in UK on March 10, 2004 at 10:48 AM (CST)

I want subGenres. so in my hip-hop, i could have old school, gangsta, etc. Napster does this in their store, and i think its pretty cool. When you have over 650 albums likei do, its a great feature.

Also, friggen folders for playlists… I want a best of folder for all my best of lists, and best of genres and stuff like that, i like to use just playlistsf or my iPod, so when i’m going somewhere i can just pick playsllists to sync rather than individual songs.. but this is a pain when you have 20+ playlits, give us arrow folders!!!

I’d also like to see keywords, like in iPhoto. So you can apply them to songs, like, party, gettin’ it on, dancing, and stuff like that, i know there is grouping, but its a slack feature, i want to make keywords, and then choose to apply them to songs.

Posted by jon on March 10, 2004 at 10:53 AM (CST)

My iTunes genre list needs to modified big time and I don’t know how to delete genres in which none of my tracks are assigned to. Under genres, it lists every genre which was originally associated with my MP3 tags. It’s driving me crazy! Anybody else have this problem?

Posted by Stylescraper on March 10, 2004 at 11:30 AM (CST)

if they can, a better shuffle feature. this time, do not make it so it’s only going to play those with higher ratings or higher play counts.

Posted by Fiddytree on March 10, 2004 at 11:30 AM (CST)

How about being able to share the same playlist easily between mac’s and pc’s.  I have a pc at work and mac at home.  Currently not very easy to do.

Posted by Jim Graham on March 10, 2004 at 11:30 AM (CST)

I would like to see a way to copy Smart Playlists so I don’t have to manually copy all the search terms for each playlist I create. I made 3 playlists where the only difference was 3-5*‘s, 4-5*‘s and 5*‘s. That was quite a pain!

I also would like subGenre’s, that would make the previous smart playlists easier to create. I have to tell them that I want all songs that are 5 *‘s and is not GenraA, and is not GenraB… You get the picture.

I would also like to see it export data cleaner. I need a way to see if I already have a song before I purchase one from iTMS. It’s a real pain to switch to my library list, then back to the store for each purchase. I want a way to look at the list of songs in a seperate window. So I would like to export the list, then read it in with Excel or maybe Access. Something where I can query without using iTunes.

Posted by Dave on March 10, 2004 at 11:34 AM (CST)

I wouldnt mind a way of seeing what songs people are playing from your library over a network. it would also be great for other people to be able to rate your tracks over a network (although obviously not overwriting your original rating) and for a “network play count”

Posted by meatmcguffin on March 10, 2004 at 11:37 AM (CST)

My shuffle already plays ALL ratings unless I tell it not to.

Posted by Nagromme on March 10, 2004 at 11:51 AM (CST)

The ability to decide at what point in the song it is considered a played track.  75% would be nice.

Posted by Stephen on March 10, 2004 at 12:12 PM (CST)

I’d like to see itunes get the album art like in WMP9. Also a feature to allow you to search albums by cover art something like a photo album where you “flip the pages” and chose the albums. It would provide more of a CD experience like picking CD’s from a CD book.

Posted by DJN on March 10, 2004 at 12:29 PM (CST)

definitely a gapless playback option, and a crossfade option would be great.

And bring me back the ability to use the ipod while plugged in.  Its the only reason I’m still using 2.0.1

Posted by Unixmonkey on March 10, 2004 at 12:45 PM (CST)

tag and rename

Posted by Max on March 10, 2004 at 12:55 PM (CST)

A grouping function that would stick together e.g. all the tracks of a mix, or all the sections of a long track, so that when Random is used, they are all played together rather odd bits now and then.

Posted by iPoddity on March 10, 2004 at 1:32 PM (CST)

No offense to Macworld or its interviewees, but most of those were fairly dumb suggestions.

I can’t believe there was a requested iTunes features articles, and no mention of more advanced Smart Playlists.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on March 10, 2004 at 1:45 PM (CST)

You know the little “arrow” buttons/icons next to artists and albums in the iTunes Music Store?  I’d like to see those in my library (and playlists).

If you want to buy more songs by a particular artist in your library, you could just click the button to launch you to their page at iTMS… rather than clicking iTMS, then searching…

Posted by iBran on March 10, 2004 at 1:52 PM (CST)

for those of you who absolutely need the features, winamp has a delete duplicates option, as well as track mixing/beat matching through plug-ins, searching for keywords you put in any of your id tags’ fields, gapless playback, easy to use and customize crossfading, etc., etc..

Posted by heh on March 10, 2004 at 2:00 PM (CST)

why am i the only person who wants to be able to watch videos on itunes.
Im getting sick of having all my music videos on windows media player and all my songs on itunes.

Posted by video on March 10, 2004 at 2:12 PM (CST)

@video

then the temptation is to label itunes as a media player rather then a music player.

on the mac there should be another iApp, sorta like iMovie witout the editing. A bit like iTunes where all the movies you have can be placed and sorted in the same way iTunes sorts music. but thats a different topic i guess…..

Posted by meatmcguffin on March 10, 2004 at 2:23 PM (CST)

Jeez, the biggest flaw with iTunes is it doesn’t tell you the total size of all selected tracks!  Am I the only one who has a library bigger than the iPod? (or maybe I’m dumb and missing where this is).  It’s trial and error to get my selections to the right size where it will sync with the iPod.

Posted by direwolf on March 10, 2004 at 2:43 PM (CST)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >