What do you want in iTunes | iLounge News

What do you want in iTunes

In a recent poll, Macworld UK readers were asked what features should be added to iTunes.

“The most popular choice was a means of automatically identifying and deleting duplicated songs (26 per cent). One reader suggested Apple could add a “flag duplicates” option.

Close behind (21 per cent) was the ability to mix tracks like a DJ

Comments

“on the mac there should be another iApp, sorta like iMovie witout the editing. A bit like iTunes where all the movies you have can be placed and sorted in the same way iTunes sorts music”

You can get that on the PC and it’s called Media Center - it even has an iTunes skin for ease-of-use. Catalogs both video and audio files.

One way Media Center wins is that you can add as many custom fields as you want, and name the columns anything you like. Then you can make Smartlists using your custom fields.

Media Center can also analyze the audio files, estimate their BPM, then put that into a custom field. Or you can add it manually.

Posted by Media Center on March 10, 2004 at 3:00 PM (CST)

yea i have a bunch of dups…would love to get rid of them, and must agree that some of the macworld suggestions were a bit lame and smart playlists need to not contridict….i would like to make a smart playlist album is A+ album is B + album is C

if you ask me its kinda goofy not being able to….and maybe install options!!! i realy dont want all the extra litle installs that come with it and suck memory

and either that sidekick plugin needs to come out or iTunes needs to minimize to the systray when open….i love my taskbad clean!!!

i would never complain about having a better method with grouping or jsut make subgenres,....not syaing i would regenre-ize all 30gb!!!

peace

Posted by rivlinm on March 10, 2004 at 4:14 PM (CST)

because of all of this talk is there a new version with an anticipated release or jsut some thoughts flowing through the air?

i would actually love to see some of these and not just talk about them!!!

Posted by rivlinm on March 10, 2004 at 4:15 PM (CST)

HELL YEAH MEDIA CENTR FUCKING RULEZ ITUNES IS HER BITCH DAMN BUT I’D EVEN TAKE WINAMP OVER ITUNES ANYDAY IT’S A TIRED PIECE O CRAP

Posted by bumrushdashow on March 10, 2004 at 4:27 PM (CST)

A taskbar toolbar thing for both Mac and PC. Like the one Media Player has. Its the only thing I actually like better about media player. Also, if the keys on a multimedia keyboard controlled iTunes even when it did not have focus (at least thats how it is on Windows).

Posted by Biff on March 10, 2004 at 4:28 PM (CST)

ok now i remember…tell me if thre is a way to do this with out an ipod and sycning…

i would like to be able to make an “on the go” playlist if you will while on my comp….i would like to select a play order of a few songs and then go to work with out making a new playlist jsut for my vertain mood….on the ipod on the go PL’s are brilliant but i havnt figured out a way in itunes…peace

Posted by rivlinm on March 10, 2004 at 4:33 PM (CST)

I would like a temporary playlist on iTunes, in addition scans your my music folder automatically and tracks are added automatically to your library [winamp5 does this] and remove dup’s.

Posted by draell on March 10, 2004 at 5:35 PM (CST)

I want the ability to re-download my purchased music so I don’t have to worry about losing something I purchased!  :(

Posted by Chris Epler on March 10, 2004 at 6:39 PM (CST)

A queue!!!

Posted by blah on March 10, 2004 at 8:49 PM (CST)

I’d like to see changes made to the base software without the need for second or third party add-ons or plug-ins. I feel like additional software actually hinders the ease of use issues. If anybody at Apple is listening, I applaud your out-of-the-box thinking in creating software, service and a music device which allows for seamless ripping, browsing and downloading. Don’t lose sight of the big picture while upgrading your software! In other words, keep it simple!

I don’t want to see Mac OS X become useless without second or third party plug-ins!

Posted by Stylescraper on March 11, 2004 at 7:06 AM (CST)

how about a playlist that pretends to be an album (or at least be stored in the artist field) - why? cos then when i have all the albums of a band, and then they release a ‘best of’ I still want to be able to list the album, but don’t want to duplicate the songs (waste of space)... i can then make a play list using the tracks already on the pod… and store it as an album.

Posted by donspotter on March 11, 2004 at 7:24 AM (CST)

A queue!!!
Originally posted by blah on Mar 10, 04 7:49 pm

ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY! :O)

Posted by Mirage on March 11, 2004 at 7:52 AM (CST)

Everything people have been asking for - from video to dynamic playlists to smarter smart lists and user-defined fields and exclusionary playlists to remove duplicates are already available…

But as one earlier guy said, and one rather loud and strange guy, you can’t get them in iTunes. You can’t get them in Winamp 5 - but it comes close. You definitely can’t get them in Media Player.

You get them in Media Center.

Posted by everything on March 11, 2004 at 9:06 AM (CST)

A couple of suggestions for iTunes:
1. Make playlists from orphaned songs (ePhpod feature)
2. Find duplicates (ephpod feature)
3. Repair database (ephpod feature)
4. Alpphabetize playlists (ephpod feature)
5. Browse by album (showing album art)

I’m sure you figured out that iTunes could learn a lot from ephpod!

Posted by ah ME mon on March 11, 2004 at 9:16 AM (CST)

Media Center folks:

Please take your MS pitches elsewhere. Thank you.

Posted by The Raven in USA on March 11, 2004 at 10:48 AM (CST)

Sometimes I create a playlist & as I download it to iPod, a second lot of the same tracks are copied to it. Other times it just uses the tracks already there. I’d rather it didn’t duplicate - any ideas how to get round this?

Posted by Pedlop in Blighty on March 11, 2004 at 10:54 AM (CST)

I actually think people are pitching Media Center made by another company, not MS. I forget who, but I’ve seen it referenced here.

Posted by ronco on March 11, 2004 at 2:49 PM (CST)

Media Center folks: Please take your MS pitches elsewhere. Thank you.

Media Player is Micro$oft

Media Center is not Micro$oft

There’s even an ipodlounge forum devoted to Media Center:

But hey, they do share 5/11 or around 46% of their letters in common, so yeah, maybe I might make the same mistake. If I was sleepy, or blind, or intoxicated.

Posted by Micro$oft on March 11, 2004 at 2:55 PM (CST)

I would like a split screen option so i can see my itunes library on one half, and my ipod contents on the other. I manually manage my songs and would like to be able to compare tracks i may or may not have on the ipod.

Posted by mxv on March 11, 2004 at 6:12 PM (CST)

I would like to specify one or more directories that iTunes monitors.

If files are added to those directories, they are automatically indexed in iTunes.

Conversely, if files are deleted from those directories, they are automatically deleted from iTunes.

There are never duplicate entries in iTunes for the same file.

Posted by Tim Greenberg on March 11, 2004 at 7:30 PM (CST)

Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 >