What does the “i” in iPod stand for? | iLounge News

What does the “i” in iPod stand for?

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, June 1, 2004
News Categories: iPod

“Sometime last week—Wednesday night, maybe—an anonymous scribbler took a marker to a block-long row of iPod posters, adding a penetrating spin on Apple’s pitch for “10,000 songs in your pocket.” People walking by on Thursday slowed to consider the dozens of new messages stretching down the east side of Lafayette, from Great Jones to Bond: The “i” in iPod “stands for isolation,” the writer had scrawled above one silhouette of that annoying lone figure dancing. “The ‘i’ stands for insecure,” for “irrational,” for “inibriated” and “inebriated.”“

« Apple readying 60GB iPod

College Students: What’s on Your iPod? »

Comments

I feel bad for who ever is marking up the Apple Posters. They seem like loosers… I bet they’re just sour that they’re really poor and can’t afford an iPod… come to think of it I’m really poor and can’t afford an iPod… but still who has time to sneak out and deface iPod posters? I’m glad I have a girlfriend who bought me my blue mini! Yay! Ha. Anyway those people need to get a life… who cares what the ‘i’ in iPod stands for?

-Jody-

Posted by Jody on June 1, 2004 at 11:52 AM (PDT)

I feel bad for who ever is marking up the Apple Posters. They seem like losers… I bet they’re just sour that they’re really poor and can’t afford an iPod… come to think of it I’m really poor and can’t afford an iPod… but still who has time to sneak out and deface iPod posters? I’m glad I have a girlfriend who bought me my blue mini! Yay! Ha. Anyway, those people need to get a life… who cares what the ‘i’ in iPod stands for?

-Jody-

Posted by Jody on June 1, 2004 at 11:52 AM (PDT)

“i” Pod therefore “i” am.

Posted by Stylescraper on June 1, 2004 at 11:58 AM (PDT)

Heh, I found humor in it. Won’t stop me from using my iPod though. Had I been in the area, I’d have probably read the opinions while listening to the ‘pod and snickering. =)

Posted by Penchi on June 1, 2004 at 12:50 PM (PDT)

so what does the i stand for then?

Posted by Bryan Webster on June 1, 2004 at 12:55 PM (PDT)

Nothing, probably.  Just a naming trend.  Like iMac.  Internet, if you want.

Like D-Day; the D doesn’t stand for anything at all.

Posted by Cameron on June 1, 2004 at 1:01 PM (PDT)

seems creative to me ireally ilke… “I can’t stand the silence”

=:-{))

Posted by Xtoast in midwest usa on June 1, 2004 at 1:11 PM (PDT)

as someone who is known for cratively altering pictures with markers, i really appreciate this sort of thing.  creativity is something that apple supporter are always raving about, and this is not only creative but also encourages people to think for a moment, something that the majority of us never do when looking at adverts.

Posted by wes on June 1, 2004 at 2:24 PM (PDT)

Seems like the guy defacing public property does not know how to spell.  “inibriated” is not a word found in the english dictionary.  What’s even more astounding is that the admin for this site would let trash like this even be considered for posting as news.

But I’ll be game.  Let’s play the word game.  iPod, not unlike the Ford Focus, is just a name that is easy for consumers to remember and easy to market.  What does the i in iPod stand for?  Same as the Focus for Ford.  It means nothing at all.  Hope Ford doesn’t want me to “focus” on the inconsequential like the name instead of the quality of the product and in this case my new, nice, shiny 40g iPod.

As for the other comments, I have only one thing that I would like to address mentioned by wes.  When and if I do waste my time to look at advertising, I try not to look beyond the “pretty” colors, advertisers are not as smart as they like to think they are.  Ever buy a whole kitchen knife set of the 800 commercials at night?

Wow!  What a boring night at work. Think I am going to deface some posters on the way to the subway going home.  Not to worry I work in NYC, cops don’t seem to mess with a guy in a suit and tie with a can of spray paint.

Posted by toothpaste in NYC on June 1, 2004 at 3:14 PM (PDT)

i stands for idiotic - like this being news worthy - im going to change the channel now - ‘click’

Posted by gabe on June 1, 2004 at 3:28 PM (PDT)

reminds me of the time when the guys spray the battery issue on the posters months ago.

sounds like a copy cat
????

Posted by BIGP in Texas on June 1, 2004 at 7:22 PM (PDT)

*** spray painted ***

Posted by BIGP in Texas on June 1, 2004 at 7:23 PM (PDT)

On commenting on the fact that some of the posters have “The ‘i’ stands for ‘isolation’’ written on them, one of best gadget sites on the net, Gizmodo.com, has this to say:

“Ironically, the people that felt the need to parley an mp3 player into social critique are exactly the people we wear headphones to avoid.”

I think that generally sums it up.

Posted by Zim on June 1, 2004 at 8:18 PM (PDT)

Though there’s little documentation to support it, the ‘D’ in D-Day is believed to have stood for Deployment.

Posted by Sal on June 1, 2004 at 9:40 PM (PDT)

I thought D-Day was Dooms Day

Posted by fujisuma on June 1, 2004 at 9:59 PM (PDT)

D-day is just a variable:

The terms D-Day and H-Hour are used for the day and hour on which a combat attack or operation is to be initiated. They designate day and hour for an operation when the actual day and hour have not yet been determined or announced. The letters are derived from the words for which they stand, “D” for the day of the invasion and “H” for the hour the operation actually begins.

Posted by Sean on June 1, 2004 at 10:22 PM (PDT)

“i” stands for “illegal” as in illegal downloads, which is the only way anyone outside of Steve Jobs’ tax bracket could afford to fill a 40GB player.  wink

Let’s face it, despite the hype of the iTunes music store, for most people, the iPod is really a player for playing their music ripped off from Kazza.

At $0.99 a song, would you rather have 10,000 songs in your pocket, or $10,000 in your pocket?

Posted by iComment on June 1, 2004 at 10:32 PM (PDT)

People like iComment really p1$$ me off! He never heard of converting CDs to MP3s entirely legally I guess.

I hope he doesn’t apply for a job at the RIAA!

Just cut out the users, just sue all MP3 manufacturers for aiding and abbeting [sp] the piracy of music why don’t you!

DUH!

Posted by SoloMalee on June 2, 2004 at 1:53 AM (PDT)

iPod = isolation/avoidance/lack of friendliness… That gets parroted a lot these days—in the press, not just by vandals.

So… are strangers on the street without headphones somehow a friendly and engaging bunch? I never noticed that. Does an iPod prevent you from conversing any more than any other activity, such as thinking? iPod pause pretty easily, I hear. And did Apple invent the headphones? Because I thought people were using those before the iPod. I could be wrong.

I wonder how many of the folks who like to parrot that viewpoint own cell phones and use them in public? Shall we discuss THAT whole range of behaviors that truly DOES intrude on strangers?

I don’t think the motive is financial jealousy. Save up, or buy a cheaper player, or buy used. I think the motive is that they don’t “get it” and so it bugs them that other people do. They feel left out. Closed-mindedness in one of its many forms.

As for iPod owners being drunk and insecure… Does that mean an iPod encourages alcohol abuse and/or provides style and appearance with nothing behind it? Because I still can’t seem to shake the idea that a portable music player actually performs a valuable function. smile

I guess people think the iPod BECAME successful because it was a good product, but now it no longer has any merits and STAYS successful purely by being trendy. Interesting logic there.

(Disclaimer: I do not own an iPod yet. Emphasis on yet. 4G for me! I don’t feel left out, but then again, I do “get it.”)

Posted by Nagromme on June 2, 2004 at 3:07 AM (PDT)

the I stands for INTELLIGENT, doesn’t anyone know that?? you have iTunes. . .iMovie. . . .iPod. . . . Am i the ONLY person that knows this? tell me i’m wrong and that there are others who know

Posted by j on June 2, 2004 at 11:51 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >