What does the “i” in iPod stand for? | iLounge News

What does the “i” in iPod stand for?

“Sometime last week—Wednesday night, maybe—an anonymous scribbler took a marker to a block-long row of iPod posters, adding a penetrating spin on Apple’s pitch for “10,000 songs in your pocket.” People walking by on Thursday slowed to consider the dozens of new messages stretching down the east side of Lafayette, from Great Jones to Bond: The “i” in iPod “stands for isolation,” the writer had scrawled above one silhouette of that annoying lone figure dancing. “The ‘i’ stands for insecure,” for “irrational,” for “inibriated” and “inebriated.”“

« Apple readying 60GB iPod

College Students: What’s on Your iPod? »

Comments

this book tells me that i stands for igloo! and there’s this picture of an escimo standing next to a snowy dome..

Posted by tear on June 2, 2004 at 1:31 PM (PDT)

Nigga what?

Posted by JZ on June 2, 2004 at 3:08 PM (PDT)

ikarumba

Posted by Xtoast in midwest usa on June 2, 2004 at 6:35 PM (PDT)

wow people who are mad about this are such whiners. i live in new york city and were all dam tired of those ugly posters everywhere, now i would help someone rip them down becasue thats better than trying to get some art ### message across, and the poliece in nyc dont care if you mes with apple posters, they put them up for free everywhere its soo god damm bad.

Posted by whymanwhy on June 3, 2004 at 4:53 AM (PDT)

J, I knew that. I was actually just about to post that. The “I” does stand for Intelligent.

Posted by DC on June 3, 2004 at 8:52 AM (PDT)

The ‘I’ could stand for ‘increasingly iTune Related mp3 player’

Posted by FrogFreak on June 3, 2004 at 10:04 AM (PDT)

i think the afformentioned act is mindless, probably done by someone who is unable to express themselves socially so feel the need to deface adverts in this manner. their expression on the poster is perhaps a safe way for them to gain self acceptance ...................

but enough of the analysis, i’m going to enjoy the iPod regardless of the ‘image’ it portrays to a minority, i have never been one to buy something to be accepted and will remain that way, i purchase a product because its practical or the best of its kind on the market at present

Posted by iBob on June 3, 2004 at 11:08 AM (PDT)

Hi there… just a note to iComment… I don’t make what Steve Jobs makes, I have never, ever in my life downloaded a song illegally (in fact, my first somg download was on iTunes, for 99 cents, and then I got panicked from the newness of it all and bought more CD’s smile). I write music as a hobby and softeware professionally, so I always have abhored people that steal either.

My CD collection over the years has grown to 1500, and I bought a 40GB iPod last week *precisely* to hold about half of my CD collection. I was lugging CD’s everywhere between the three main places I wanted to listen to them - home, car, work. I had scratched so many over the years from handling (and the lack thereof) that it just made sense to get an iPod.

Still disappointed with FM car players, though, of course (currently using the Monster one), and the ICE Link is backordered until who knows when.

-Ev

Posted by Ev on June 3, 2004 at 11:10 AM (PDT)

At $0.99 a song, would you rather have 10,000 songs in your pocket, or $10,000 in your pocket?

Music has always cost money.  If you divide the cost of a CD by the number of tracks it contains, it will still cost money.

Posted by iComment II on June 3, 2004 at 2:30 PM (PDT)

Meaning that it would take $10,000 to fill any music player up with legally purchased tracks, whether bought online, via CD, on casette tape, on vinyl, or what-have-you.

If you want to get music cheap, buy it used or borrow it.

Posted by iComment II on June 3, 2004 at 2:32 PM (PDT)

it would take $10,000 to fill any music player up with legally purchased tracks

Filling a 60GB iPod with legal music from AllOfMP3.com will cost around $700 total.

Posted by Cheaper Music on June 3, 2004 at 2:51 PM (PDT)

iPod is my name
I am the center of all
You are my center

Posted by iMichael on June 3, 2004 at 4:51 PM (PDT)

I agree that these people marking up the posters are losers, but remember that people defacing the posters got Apple to start it’s battery replacement program.

Before, they said sorry and suggested you buy a new unit.

Posted by Alex on June 3, 2004 at 9:31 PM (PDT)

i actually thought that the i stood for interactive

oh well..
also, anyone know when their will be a European or British iTunes store? i still got space on my 20G!

Posted by rob on June 4, 2004 at 7:45 AM (PDT)

““i” stands for “illegal” as in illegal downloads, which is the only way anyone outside of Steve Jobs’ tax bracket could afford to fill a 40GB player. wink

Let’s face it, despite the hype of the iTunes music store, for most people, the iPod is really a player for playing their music ripped off from Kazza.”

I don’t know… I have over 400 albums, all but maybe ten of them originally from cds I purchased… now they’re all on my 40gb iPod.

Most of my friends who have iPods also have purchased the majority of their music collection. I think if you’re too cheap to buy music you’re probably too cheap to buy an iPod as well.

Posted by RedSky on June 4, 2004 at 12:23 PM (PDT)

Duh, why don’t you people stop with the stupid comments and put something useful on here?  Like why doesn’t somebody ask Appple what the i stands for?  You know, I think I’ll do that know and reply once I have an answer.

Posted by long time mac on June 4, 2004 at 1:29 PM (PDT)

All my music is downloaded legally cause if you didn’t check its not illegal to download music its illegal to upload it… all the people the RIAA have sued have been sued for Uploading music. I will continue to use Limewire and Winmx and not share no files muhahaha the system works :D

Posted by iJam on June 5, 2004 at 11:07 PM (PDT)

“If you’re too cheap to buy music you’re probably too cheap to buy an iPod as well.”

Funny, that’s what I was thinking!

Posted by Ethan on June 6, 2004 at 12:03 PM (PDT)

” think the afformentioned act is mindless, probably done by someone who is unable to express themselves socially so feel the need to deface adverts in this manner”

I feel exactly the opposite. Someone went through a lot of trouble to think of all those words starting with the letter I - saying that the act was “mindless” is simplifying things way too much. Even with the mistakes in spelling.

And what else was this than an act of “expressing oneself socially”? Those ads were placed in public space where they should be subject to public commentary.

Saying this guy is “a loser” and “can’t afford an iPod” is just plain ignorant. I’m as much a fan of iPod as anybody here, but still I can appreciate the attention this lone (?)crusader is drawing to advertising and the whole iPod phenomenon.

Posted by Tiketti on June 6, 2004 at 10:58 PM (PDT)

Saying this guy is “a loser” and “can’t afford an iPod” is just plain ignorant. I’m as much a fan of iPod as anybody here, but still I can appreciate the attention this lone (?) crusader is drawing to advertising and the whole iPod phenomenon.

Posted by Tiketti on June 6, 2004 at 10:58 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >