Which iPod poll ends, iPod shuffle poll opens | iLounge News

Which iPod poll ends, iPod shuffle poll opens

Our most recent iLounge poll, “Which current model iPod do you personally use the most?,” has just ended. With over 4,200 votes cast, the results were surprising: while a plurality of responding readers (26%) said that they use a non-current iPod, mini, nano or shuffle the most, the 2007 iPod classic came in second with 23% of the vote, followed by the iPod touch (21%), iPhone (16%), and video iPod nano (10%). Interestingly, only 2% of voters picked the current iPod shuffle—the same number who said they read the site but didn’t use an iPod at all. From what we gather, the higher-capacity the Apple device, the more popular it is with our readers.

Because of the low iPod shuffle numbers, we wanted to hear your thoughts on Apple’s February announcement of new 1GB iPod shuffle pricing and a new 2GB model.  Our new poll, “How will Apple’s new $49/$69 iPod shuffles affect you?,” asks whether the new pricing and 2GB version will lead you to buy a new shuffle for yourself, or as a gift, or both, or whether the shuffles don’t matter to you for one reason or another. Cast your vote from the main iLounge.com homepage by looking for the orange iLounge poll on the left hand column!

« Texas university to give out iPhones, iPod touches

Bundles for T-Mobile Austria, O2 Ireland found in 1.1.4 firmware »

Comments

i may be in the minority, but i love my little shuffle.  i just bought one last week when it was reduced to $49.  I have two other ipods (20 gig 4G and a 30 gig 5Gv2), but sometimes I know I’m not going far and just want to listen to a select few songs, and ths shuffle is amazing for that.

i think people don’t like the shuffle because they’re spoiled by the high capacity, pretty color screens of the large ipod.  some would rather carry every song ever recorded in their pocket, but i’d rather just carry the ones i know i’m going to listen to for that time period.  I probably should have waited and bought the 2 gig shuffle, but i’m over it, and i’m very happy with my one gig.  i love the lower price, and I am very tempted to buy them as gifts…

Posted by jpod on February 27, 2008 at 10:20 AM (CST)

Well, I do own a 160gb Classic which was purchased after my 60gb photo became filled and outdated. I have to say I own an orange shuffle and use it for excercize only. I use the 160gb to haul my music wherever i want to go. The handyness and weight of the shuffle are unbeatable and is the PERFECT compliment to my large capacity iPod. I wouldn’t be happy without it.

Posted by JWj on February 27, 2008 at 11:21 AM (CST)

jpod…you and me both.  I got it as a motivation/gift for myself for my first 5k, and got it engraved for free, as a commemoration. :)

Running’s not so good on my 5g, so this baby little shuffle’s going to be put to good use.

Posted by OnlyShawn on February 27, 2008 at 12:02 PM (CST)

The shuffle is perfect for what it is, and with a price of $49, everyone should own one.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on February 27, 2008 at 12:07 PM (CST)

Just bought one for the gym.  Perfect for that purpose.  I hated lugging my classic for workouts.

Posted by Chew on February 27, 2008 at 1:05 PM (CST)

I don’t understand all of the Shuffle hate here. As others have said, it is PERFECT for exercise use. I tried using a Nano at the gym and hated it - the extra weight and bulk, the clumsy armband, the display I never looked at, the aggravation of using the lick-wheel without looking or using both hands. The Shuffle resolves all of this, and you get iTunes’ “Autofill” feature to boot.

I bought my 1GB at the old price from Amazon. I’m returning it for a refund and buying the new 2GB model.

Posted by The Doctor on February 27, 2008 at 1:53 PM (CST)

I love my shuffle but don’t use it most so I had to answer iPhone instead. Shuffle is great for workouts and quick trips though.

Posted by Dyvim on February 27, 2008 at 2:58 PM (CST)

I had a shuffle, then sold it.  I’ve occassionally regretted selling it for those times when I’d like to have just a small device when I’m out for a walk.  I own a 16 Gb touch and a 3rd Gen 8 Gb nano.  I love them both, but sometimes I just want something really simple (especially when I just want to listen to podcasts back-to-back and don’t care what order they play in).  As a result, when the price dropped, I ordered a purple one from the Apple Store :)

As well, the new price point will likely lead to me buying many as gifts for family members.  When I had to pay almost $100 for the Shuffle before, I went out and looked for more “advanced” features in other devices that were selling for a similar price.  They all only really need/want a really simple device, so the Shuffle will be perfect.

Posted by oilseeker on February 27, 2008 at 4:34 PM (CST)

The shuffle is way overlooked.  Its great for weekend trips, airplane flights.  I use mine on my boat all the time. Pick a hundred or so boat songs and go.  Long battery life and great sound.  Wont break and if you lose it, not big financial setback. It doesnt replace a lrge storage I pod, it protecgts and compliments it.

Posted by mike on February 27, 2008 at 6:37 PM (CST)