White iPhone 4 poll ends, iOS 5 poll begins | iLounge News

White iPhone 4 poll ends, iOS 5 poll begins

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, May 25, 2011
News Categories: Site News

With over 2,100 votes from iLounge readers, our most recent poll—“Will you be buying a white iPhone 4?” has ended. Readers were given a choice between two positive responses and five negative responses, the latter group including options for those who are waiting for the next white iPhone, those that wanted a black iPhone 4, and those that wanted a white model but gave up on waiting and purchased the black model instead.

Overall, only nine percent of readers said they would be buying a white iPhone, 54 percent of which said they recently decided to buy an iPhone and wanted the white model, compared to 46 percent who had been holding out for the fairer model since last June. Among those that said they wouldn’t be purchasing the white iPhone 4, 40 percent said they wanted the black model, while another 25 percent said they didn’t want an iPhone 4 at all. Another 14 percent said they were waiting for the next white iPhone, the same percentage as those who wanted a white one but settled for a black model instead. Finally, seven percent of those who said they wouldn’t be buying a white iPhone 4 also said that they wanted one, but the device was delayed too long and they simply gave up. Thanks for all your votes!

Our new poll focuses on iOS 5. We’d like to know what new feature or improvement you’d most like to see in the new OS. Would you like a new notifications system, or Home screen widgets, or perhaps wireless syncing, backups, and updates? Or maybe you’d most like to see a redesigned Home screen, expanded background process and multitasking support, or a common file system, or haptic feedback? Or some other new feature or improvement? Our new poll, “Which feature would you most like to see in iOS 5?” lets you answer that question. As always, you can find the iLounge Poll in the left-hand column of the main iLounge.com homepage. Cast your vote today!

« iPhone 4 to launch in India this Friday

Altec Lansing unveils iMT810 Mix Boombox »

Comments

Yes please.

Posted by ort on May 25, 2011 at 9:14 AM (PDT)

I could truly care less about wireless syncing. Look, something else to drain battery! What I WOULD like to see come to the iOS is an Android-style notification system. Honestly, that’s the one advantage my EVO has over an iPhone. Its so fun flipping through screens of apps to find the one with that little badge on it sometimes…

Posted by Daniel S. on May 25, 2011 at 6:11 PM (PDT)

Bulk read/unread in mail please. One at a time in such a pain!

Posted by Damon Sharp on May 25, 2011 at 7:14 PM (PDT)

I know it’s possible, but I would like more of Mac OS X’s ability to compress and uncompress files (i.e., dmg)  incorporated into the iOS.  The ability to send files back and forth from a Mac to an iOS without a 3rd-party intervention.  Wireless printing available to ANY printer on your Bonjour setup—again, without using a 3rd-party app.

And finally, add a numerical fourth row to the keyboard.  Since so many passwords require an alpha-numeric combination, it is utterly ridiculous not to include numbers and common punctuation on the home screen.

Certainly the iPad has room for this and the iPhone does in landscape mode.

Posted by jimmyBobSmith on May 25, 2011 at 11:08 PM (PDT)

I would like to see it have the latest and greatest obviously its probably gonna be 4g. but i would like to see the instant streaming and facetime without olny wifi connection and maybe a 3d option as it is on the Nintendo 3ds.

Posted by shawn on May 26, 2011 at 7:28 AM (PDT)

I voted “Home screen widgets” as a surrogate for an iOS version of Nokia’s “Active Standby.” It is the one and only feature I miss form my old Symbian smartphone. It is beyond convenient to quickly see, at a glance, at least the following without unlocking the phone and hunting for the relevant apps: time and date, upcoming calendar events and to-do’s (!), new messages (e-mail, SMS, MMS). The current iOS lock screen is worthless, and the notification system is frustratingly embryonic at best.

Posted by Farnsworth on May 26, 2011 at 10:03 AM (PDT)

@2: Ah, the old “drain the battery” mantra to reject something you don’t personally care about, tsk tsk…

I’d wager the vast majority of people have their wi-fi on constantly at home (where they would have to be to use the feature anyhow). It’s like I’m going to keep turning wi-fi on and off every time I want to check my email or visit a website or watch Netflix or play a game with GC integration, no, I’m going to have it on, and so wireless syncing won’t affect my battery or, in all likelihood, your battery life because I’ll bet you don’t keep turning it on and off every time you put your i-Device down either.

Wireless syncing will have less effect on battery life in the course of a day than 5 minutes of Angry Birds.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on May 26, 2011 at 10:06 AM (PDT)

I would love the ability to delete the default apps. I don’t use most of them and they just get in the way. Get rid of Game Center, Voice Memos, Motes, Compass, Stocks, Calculator, Weather, Clock, iTunes, Safari, and iPod.

Posted by Dave on May 26, 2011 at 10:53 AM (PDT)

Dave #8 - Couldn’t agree more with most of these. For now I have the ones I don’t use all stored in a single folder name JUNK and have it pushed to the bottom of the very last screen.

Posted by DWB in MN on May 26, 2011 at 1:29 PM (PDT)

#8: you’d get rid of iPod?? :o

Posted by Clint on May 26, 2011 at 4:49 PM (PDT)

I agree with almost everyone’s post on here…however, I gotta say I’d LOVE to be able to DELETE ONE PHONE NUMBER AT A TIME OUT OF MY CALL LOG. It’s such a pain to have to delete my entire call log just to delete one number!

Posted by MillerTime on May 28, 2011 at 11:39 AM (PDT)