White iPod earbuds appear in cell phone commercial | iLounge News

White iPod earbuds appear in cell phone commercial

The Vodafone cell phone company has broadcast a TV commercial in Japan that portrays a woman using white iPod earbuds to listen to her music-capable cell phone. It is a conclusive sign that other manufacturers are trying to “cash in” on the coolness of the white earbuds. The phone itself actually ships with cheap silver-and-black headphones, not the white earbuds used in the commercial (which are clearly iPod earbuds).

« David Crosby says iTunes is “brilliant”

Windows: iPodRip 2.0 released »

Comments

Who cares?

Posted by Jorge on May 28, 2004 at 9:19 AM (PDT)

I guess… but it’s not that big of a deal. I mean people don’t buy the iPod because of its headphones, people buy the iPod because its cool… the headphones are a way to display iPod status but most (and I use the term loosely I have no hard data on this, but only the trend all my friends and myself have followed) iPod users look into getting new headphones with better comfort and sound quality almost immediately. Maybe its just me but I doubt that the marketing department specifically chose iPod headphones, they probably just needed some and their was someone on the set with a new iPod and the white headphones so they yanked ‘em and used them. I don’t know this is all speculation but that is some crappy marketing if they really think the headphones are going to sell it.

-Jody-

Posted by Jody on May 28, 2004 at 9:20 AM (PDT)

I’m with Jorge on this one.

Posted by Biff on May 28, 2004 at 9:38 AM (PDT)

Jody: I don’t agree.  I bet the marketing department specifically asked for the white headphones due to the color’s recent popularity.  I’m quite sure that marketing people try to control every single aspect of the advertisement.

Posted by Cameron on May 28, 2004 at 9:46 AM (PDT)

yeah, but I don’t get any worse then apple iPod ‘buds anyway. They should be happy they don’t sell the phone with apple ‘buds

Posted by rasmus on May 28, 2004 at 9:49 AM (PDT)

It’s called Subliminal Seduction marketing, made popular by Calvin Klein jeans, way back when. The same way they sell beer with beach betty models. The equation goes like this: headphones = ipod, ipod = “distinctive cool”. Therefore your product ranks up there with “cool to have or be seen with.” Your conscious mind does not notice it, but your subconscious does.

Posted by calvinism on May 28, 2004 at 9:51 AM (PDT)

i work in advertising & marketing.

close to nothing you see these days in an ad is there unintentionally. i highly, highly doubt that those white ‘buds were from some random dude. everything is impecabbly planned beforehand. trust me, when you’re spending as much money as big corporations (and vodafone is a big corporation) do on advertising, nothing is left to chance or randomosity.

Posted by boomshiddang on May 28, 2004 at 10:42 AM (PDT)

I totally agree with jorge and jody. Plus the buds suck.

Posted by sammy on May 28, 2004 at 10:45 AM (PDT)

I can’t stand the Apple headphone.  I use the gray $10 Sony in-ear headphones.  Great sound, awesome bass, hardly weigh anything and the frickin’ things take a beating.  Plus, at $10, why not give them everything you got?  You can just grab another pair.

Posted by Chris D. on May 28, 2004 at 11:10 AM (PDT)

Isn’t it still false advertising? They’re advertising a product you cant buy from them

Posted by Techni on May 28, 2004 at 11:51 AM (PDT)

Thank god.. the first responder got it right..
Who gives a RATS ### about some ad.. People… there are folks Dying… people dying of HUNGEr.. children getting ABUSED…  Who gives A Fck about earbuds..

Posted by bababooey on May 28, 2004 at 12:27 PM (PDT)

That japanese chick is a HOTTIE….

I’d let her use my ipod anytime..
Moshi moshi

Posted by bababooey on May 28, 2004 at 12:29 PM (PDT)

anybody notice that the chick is wearing the head phones backwards?

xp sux
m$ sux
bill sux

Posted by homie on May 28, 2004 at 1:48 PM (PDT)

yeah, the right one should be in the left ear and the left one should be in the right. . . I totally noticed that. . . .

Posted by mike hunt on May 28, 2004 at 2:44 PM (PDT)

What gives with needing the black rattail (probably easy to lose) to connect the earphones? Just another example of lousy design.

Posted by shaitan on May 28, 2004 at 2:47 PM (PDT)

this is not the first time i have seen this, the first was in a palm zire magazine ad. obviously the ipod buds.

Posted by demotivator on May 28, 2004 at 4:56 PM (PDT)

people that actually use the white ipod ear buds are just show offs. everybody knows that they are synonymous with ipods so they force themselves to adjust to them. for me personally they suck, they hurt your ears and fall out real easily. i use the panasonic over the ear clip on ones. they are really comfortable and i toss them in my backpack with no remorse and they always bounce back. i recently sold my old 10 gig ipod for a new 20 gig and i refused to sell them my panasonics. get your own!

Posted by Jaguares in Bay Area, Ca on May 28, 2004 at 7:16 PM (PDT)

Sue. Sue.

Posted by Sam on May 28, 2004 at 7:22 PM (PDT)

Can’t afford an iPod. Let’s form a company and produce just the white ear buds. Hum a tune as you walk and everyone will assume you have an iPod stashed in your belongings. Sound strange? In Inida, after the big war, young men thought having a fountain pen clipped insde a shirt pocket made them look successful. But times there were tough and most young men couldn’t afford even a pen. So some inventive sole produced just the pen cap which he sold for just a few cents. Now young men could appear to have the wherewithal of owning a fountain pen.

Posted by Bob on May 28, 2004 at 8:56 PM (PDT)

The Apple earbuds aren’t that bad, especially as far as earbuds are concerned.  You just can’t fool physics into making them produce chest-pounding bass (really, is bass the ONLY thing that everybody is concerned about?  Sheesh…).

If we want to know what the commercial producers were thinking, let’s ask them instead of sitting around trying to guess.

She IS a hottie, though… wink

Posted by Leland on May 29, 2004 at 10:37 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >