Why you can’t hear Jet on an iPod | iLounge News

Why you can’t hear Jet on an iPod

Unfortunately, iPod’s in Australia are etchnically in breach of copyright if you copy CD’s to them! Plus, iTunes music service is not available in Australia anytime soon.

“It

Comments

Yeah… and the iTrip is illegal in the UK.  ;-)

I sincerely doubt any Aussies care that it is ‘illegal’ to rip and transfer a CD there.

So what do Aussie’s use their iPods for?  Listening to music!  ;-)  ‘Illegally’ imported, or illegally downloaded.  Oh well.

BTW… it’s “technically” :-D

Posted by azdude_15gb on November 25, 2003 at 5:53 PM (CST)

Just because the EMI CDs are copy protected doesn’t mean I can’t get the tracks onto my iPod. However more of concern is the lack of action in getting iTunes Music Store working in Australia, or Far East or whatever region we fall into. I know Europe is proving hard from the legal end, but surely it can’t be that difficult for the Aussie record companies and Apple Aus to get their act together - granted our sales wuoldn’t be as phenomenal but it’s still revenue for Apple.

Posted by yinyang on November 25, 2003 at 6:17 PM (CST)

yin… how?
Do you have to let the EMI software install?(the autorun service that gets loaded)

Posted by timmo on November 25, 2003 at 6:31 PM (CST)

Actually, bcause of the tangled web of licensing, laws about importing physical media vs. digital data, copyrights…selling internationally can be a huge hassle and one that may require a lot of legal groundwork.

People should stop and think about that before they complain so loudly and vociferously.

Posted by stark23x on November 25, 2003 at 6:53 PM (CST)

I too have been able to get the Jet CD onto my ibook and subsequently my ipod.  easy as a slut on heat.  record companies should stop wasting their money on lame copy protection that can be beat in a matter of minutes.  they should focus their time and money on (amongst other things) developing new music amd giving the rest of the world access to online music stores.

And it is a shame we Aussies don’t have access to the itunes store.  but i did hear a rumour a few months ago that we should have access in the next few months….anyone have any updates??

Posted by copy_protection_is_ boring_ news on November 25, 2003 at 7:16 PM (CST)

AAAAHAHA!

Stupid Australians.

Oh wait, I am one….

Oh well, I doubt it would stop anyone.

Posted by Adam on November 25, 2003 at 7:28 PM (CST)

well, this has enraged me both as an aussie and an ipod user. i bought my ipod in the u.s. live six months of the year in australia and the u.s. i’m not being locked up for transfering or d/ling music onto my 15g ipod. Hell, we don’t even get the new inmotion speakers here, i had to get my friend to send it to me (and how sweet that is!) new john mayer cd, i bought it. copy protected, so what. still, it made it onto my ipod. I’m sure itunes will eventually make it to australia, until then it looks like i’m gonna have to listen to my 3000 songs and wait.

Posted by craig on November 25, 2003 at 7:48 PM (CST)

timmo - not sure if makes a difference but i’m using a mac so any of these funny autorun.exe’s don’t work on mac.

there may have been ‘rumours’ about iTMS in australia a few months ago, but nothing since - we’re at the butt end of the world so we’re forgotten about - c’mon apple australia, fight for your corner!!

Posted by yinyang on November 25, 2003 at 8:37 PM (CST)

Hold down shift when inserting the CD to avert autorun protection programs.  ;)

Posted by azdude_15gb on November 25, 2003 at 9:43 PM (CST)

fine with me, jet sucks :p

Posted by trg on November 25, 2003 at 10:13 PM (CST)

I hate how they are hyped so much. They didn’t even rise to the top the good way (pubs n’ stuff), so they will come and go.

Posted by Adam on November 25, 2003 at 10:49 PM (CST)

they are smaller than a lacie drive, why else would I have got one :)

Posted by gudge on November 26, 2003 at 12:09 AM (CST)

btw, Jet did do “pubs n’ stuff”. my mates band played with them several times in Melbourne.

Posted by gudge on November 26, 2003 at 12:13 AM (CST)

I don’t know what the complaint is with not being able to rip the Jet album.. I just put it in the drive.. and said rip.. and off it went. And before you ask.. yes.. mine is a “copy protected” version.
*shrug*

Posted by camson in Melbourne, Australia on November 26, 2003 at 1:24 AM (CST)

In any case, the iPod is primarily a *player*, not a recorder ;)

Posted by jogloran on November 26, 2003 at 1:48 AM (CST)

LOL!!!!! What a crock of shit. I can tell you right now that while the ITMS may not be in oz for a while Telstra and Bigpond have signed record companys up to offer a similar service to its customers. The reason being is that it will be part of the unmetered sites so it wont get added onto your month DL’s AND they will premiere at around $1AUD. Copying music from one format to another is illigal in oz if you are not the original buyer HOWEVER you are BY LAW entitled to backup and DIGITAL encoding bought for PERSONAL USE. This includes music and Software.

Posted by Jono on November 26, 2003 at 2:24 AM (CST)

Here’s the copy-right EMI Aust’s based on…

A legal doc that isn’t impossible to understand.

it seems like we’re ALL criminals

“Giving people access to equipment which they can use to make infringing copies of recorded music could be

Posted by voodoo on November 26, 2003 at 3:13 AM (CST)

saw jet at The Reading Festival this year and was very impressed

I have the the album on my ipod, no probs :D

Posted by Whistler in Norwich, UK on November 26, 2003 at 5:58 AM (CST)

You mean to tell me that Aussies have stupid laws that are tougher than we have in the US.  That’s hard to believe.  Perhaps your lawyer population is growing.

PS: I don’t even know who or what jet is.  Aside from a mode of transportation that is.

Posted by Tom on November 26, 2003 at 1:46 PM (CST)

Who would want to listen to a Jet song anyway? Just play Iggy Pop’s Lust for Life while listening to a crying infant.

Posted by narco in Burbank on November 27, 2003 at 11:29 AM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >