Widespread iPhone, iPod touch 1.1.3 update problems | iLounge News

Widespread iPhone, iPod touch 1.1.3 update problems

Since last week’s release of new 1.1.3 software for the iPhone and iPod touch, a number of users, including iLounge editors, have experienced serious problems when trying to update the devices. In some cases, the update appears to have been completed successfully, but renders the devices inoperable, leaving them stuck in recovery mode. When an attempt is made to restore the devices, one of several dialog boxes (pictured below) pops up and says the device can not be restored due to an unknown error.

image

In addition to user-submitted complaints and questions, many reports of similar problems and errors have appeared on Apple Support’s discussion boards. Some users have been able to recover the iPods or iPhones after deleting and re-installing iTunes or past software update files, but other users have tried these methods without success, finding no alternative but to return the non-functioning units to Apple. Many of the messages are more frantic than this one, left by SinclairZX81: “My iPhone is now permanently stuck in ‘recovery mode.’ Restore fails with unknown error (9). Help.”

It is worth noting that our editors have experienced problems updating both iPod touch and iPhone hardware that has never been jailbroken or otherwise altered; one iPhone that failed to update on its first attempt succeeded on a subsequent attempt, but an iPod touch has remained incapable of being restored despite multiple attempts on different computers. Apple has yet to respond to iLounge’s request for comment on the issue.

« GizMac premieres new cases for iPod nano 3G

Tunewear offers Prie Ambassador for iPhone in new colors »

Comments

I am having trouble when my iphone and apple bluetooth earphone tries to pair and stay connected.  I have 3 earphones and they all are having problems since I downloaded the 1.1.3 update.  However, I am able to connect with my car via bluetooth without any problems.  Anyone else having problems with bluetooth?

Posted by Edmond on January 25, 2008 at 9:01 AM (PDT)

Same here,

After ‘unknown errors’ of type 0, 1, 2, 5, 9, 1005 and 1034, I checked out the hackers community to downgrade my iPod touch to 1.1.2 or 1.1.1, but to no avail. The iPod now keeps rebooting when it encounters the ‘lock’ display…

Posted by Adam Young on January 25, 2008 at 9:04 AM (PDT)

I had this problem, and when I took my iPhone to the Apple Store they were able to do the update fine on one of their machines with no other tweaking. Perhaps it’s something to do with local circumstances with iTunes?

Posted by lkalliance on January 25, 2008 at 9:36 AM (PDT)

I have no problem at all. I still have all my setting/files/vpn setup. everything works just fine.

Posted by dennis on January 25, 2008 at 9:58 AM (PDT)

No problems doing my iPhone 1.1.3 upgrade, and I even did it before upgrading to iTunes 7.6

Posted by Dyvim on January 25, 2008 at 10:29 AM (PDT)

I’m still having trouble with SMS being out of order.  The messages arrive and are all out of whack.

I’m a recent convert to Apple.  I am still hurting from the hundreds of EXTRA dollars I had to spend to bring my iPod Classic up to the standard I had left my iPod video (cords, games, etc.).  This is just so disappointing.

I’m counting myself lucky because at least I’m not using Vista.  Apple, don’t mess with my MacBook.  smile

Posted by Dusty on January 25, 2008 at 10:38 AM (PDT)

I upgraded my iPhone to 1.1.3 and everything is fine. I love the new features!

Posted by Bill on January 25, 2008 at 10:47 AM (PDT)

I also experienced a problem after downloading the 1.1.3. update plus the $20 software package, only about 9/10 of my songs did not play! I had to completely restore my ipod touch (i was lucky enough that that worked!). This seems to me to be just a temporary solution because I am worried that it may happen again. It is just a pain that we have to pay for updates that mess up our iPods.

Posted by caroline on January 25, 2008 at 10:53 AM (PDT)

Yah, i had this problem too! I had to reinstall iTunes, it was also re-downloading v1.1.3, Had to remove sim card, reboot, etc.

I’m glad after a few hours I got all my stuff back though.

Posted by Steven Ng on January 25, 2008 at 11:15 AM (PDT)

Does anyone know if these problems and bugs are also on any iPod touch or iPhone bought after Macworld, presumably with 1.1.3 already installed?

I bought a Touch online two days ago (waited until it sold with Mail to buy!) and it hasn’t arrived yet, so I want to know what to expect.

Posted by Emil on January 25, 2008 at 11:19 AM (PDT)

most of the time it’s a PEBKAK error or a ID10T error .....

Posted by DENNIS on January 25, 2008 at 11:24 AM (PDT)

ERRORMSG “PEBKAC” .. thats the actl. error most users have .... sorry…

Posted by dennis on January 25, 2008 at 11:26 AM (PDT)

I haven’t really had any problems with 1.1.3,  but after I had updated my iPhone I did receive a message saying it couldn’t connect to EDGE and there was a PDN error (or something like that). Anyone else have this problem?

Posted by urbanslaughter on January 25, 2008 at 11:37 AM (PDT)

Wow. I think i must just be super lucky. I hear about all these “severe errors” and people having problems with updates, etc. My iPod(s) always works like it is supposed to as with my iPhone. I have never had trouble with Apple support. hmmm.

Posted by jammin on January 25, 2008 at 11:41 AM (PDT)

i had problems when i tried updating. Initially, the speakers would not work for phone use(i couldn’t hear the other party and the other party couldn’t hear me)and the ringer wouldn’t function.  I went into an Apple Store and they tried rebooting 1.1.3, but when that failed, they just gave me a new phone. Now the new phone works fine(and no scratches on the beveled edge from various cases!)

Posted by itsgood4u on January 25, 2008 at 11:49 AM (PDT)

Updated my iPhone the day 1.1.3 came out. Happy to report no problems at all…

Posted by RNB in Bakersfield, CA on January 25, 2008 at 1:31 PM (PDT)

My iphone hasn’t had the serious problems, but I have been wondering if it was my imagination or not that it was becoming much more sluggish and I have had my first experiences of freezing.

Posted by Daniel Sonkin on January 25, 2008 at 1:56 PM (PDT)

My iPod Touch is not in constant Recovery mode, however it had two random instances where after I synced with iTunes and then reconnected, iTunes noted it was in recovery mode and I had to restore it.  Random I say because it does not occur everyday and I have not seen a reason, except that I synced, disconnected, and tried to resync again after a few minutes.

On a related note, I’ve been getting 5002 error in iTunes 7.6 store.  I used shopping carts and got the error when I tried to look at my cart.  After numerous attempts to fix, including a Key Chain First Aid process, I contacted Apple.  I got an e-mail a couple of days later noting that a few users are having the same issue and they don’t have a fix yet.  For now, I’m using one-click purchasing as needed.

Posted by lamaccountant on January 25, 2008 at 1:57 PM (PDT)

I have not experinced any major issues, however, I did notice that when I dial a phone number that is in my phone book the contact name does not show up when dialing and connected.  Any suggestions?

Posted by bonsai on January 25, 2008 at 7:18 PM (PDT)

I had this problem, the only thing that fixed it (after trying numerous solutions from various forums, etc..) was installing itunes on my flatmate’s pc, doing a complete restore from there, and then re-pairing it with my machine. It seems like it the upgrade only works on machine with a *completely* fresh install of iTunes, certain type of USB controller, or not the machine it was originally paried with.

Posted by Mark on January 26, 2008 at 4:14 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >