Widespread iPhone, iPod touch 1.1.3 update problems | iLounge News

Widespread iPhone, iPod touch 1.1.3 update problems

Since last week’s release of new 1.1.3 software for the iPhone and iPod touch, a number of users, including iLounge editors, have experienced serious problems when trying to update the devices. In some cases, the update appears to have been completed successfully, but renders the devices inoperable, leaving them stuck in recovery mode. When an attempt is made to restore the devices, one of several dialog boxes (pictured below) pops up and says the device can not be restored due to an unknown error.

image

In addition to user-submitted complaints and questions, many reports of similar problems and errors have appeared on Apple Support’s discussion boards. Some users have been able to recover the iPods or iPhones after deleting and re-installing iTunes or past software update files, but other users have tried these methods without success, finding no alternative but to return the non-functioning units to Apple. Many of the messages are more frantic than this one, left by SinclairZX81: “My iPhone is now permanently stuck in ‘recovery mode.’ Restore fails with unknown error (9). Help.”

It is worth noting that our editors have experienced problems updating both iPod touch and iPhone hardware that has never been jailbroken or otherwise altered; one iPhone that failed to update on its first attempt succeeded on a subsequent attempt, but an iPod touch has remained incapable of being restored despite multiple attempts on different computers. Apple has yet to respond to iLounge’s request for comment on the issue.

« GizMac premieres new cases for iPod nano 3G

Tunewear offers Prie Ambassador for iPhone in new colors »

Comments

In my family’s situation, it seemed the problem was related to the download of the update from the Apple server.  I downloaded the update under my username on my eMac and updated my iPhone fine.  My dad, however, downloaded the update under his username on the same computer and had the restore problem.  When he tried the restore on my username, it worked and the phone is now completely updated.

Posted by Hunter on January 27, 2008 at 10:49 PM (CST)

This thing cost me 7-hours of valuable time screwing around with RESTORING it 5-times. Every time I turned the thing off, it would go into recovery mode and couldn’t be used. On the FIRST day I got it.

It’s got MICROSOFT-esque issues. Bad product as far as I’m concerned.

Posted by Curtman on January 28, 2008 at 9:03 PM (CST)

I tried the upgrade on my Windows XP machine and had the same errors. After an hour I grabbed my wife’s MacBook, connected the bricked iPod Touch and it sorted itself out. No problems since…...fingers crossed

Posted by Dazza on January 29, 2008 at 6:14 PM (CST)

I don’t know what is going on but my iPod Touch is working very smoothly and the only problem I’ve seen is with the typing while in Safari.

Posted by Kyle on January 30, 2008 at 8:29 AM (CST)

from Kwopau at the apple.com boards - “Have you tried resetting your ipod via your ipod touch? Settings => General => Reset => try the first one, and see if that works, if not, try the second button and see if that works.”

This fix worked for me, as I was getting no audio on the mp3 side of things. It would play through the cable in iTunes, but not as a pod. It seems happy now.

jb 1.1.3 iPt

Posted by dirtboy on January 30, 2008 at 3:33 PM (CST)

The problem that occurs is caused by your virus software. Turn it off and recover. I had the same problem and they couldn’t resolve it so I tried myself and walaa. It works fine now… Good Luck…

Bob…

Posted by Bob on January 31, 2008 at 9:41 AM (CST)

the same thing happend but mine was an unknown error (6)
i took it to the apple store and they restored it hassal free

apple hates all people who use windows!!!

Posted by mark on February 2, 2008 at 12:42 AM (CST)

There is a solution to this. Download iBrickr(Google it) and plug your iphone/ipod touch in. Unzip the file and click on the ibrickr file. It will state whether to jailbreak it or take it out of recoverey. Click on the option you choose, most likely the recoverey one. Your ipod/iphone will still dislpay the connect to itunes thimng but the backgrouns will change. If its red, congrats your ipod will be taken out of recoverey but if its green, you’re boned.If it was succsessful but it back into recoverey mode using the buttons( it’s pretty well known, search it up) Then Disconnect it. download the firm ware for your iphone/ipod touch. Omce you’ve done that shift-click the restore button in itunes and select the .ipsw file. Wait for the usual stuff and when it finishes it should be back to normal. I hoped I helped

Posted by Justin on February 2, 2008 at 12:52 AM (CST)

i just upgrade my ipod touch to 1.1.3 and now my ipod is stuck in recovery mode and when i go to itunes to click restore it says unable to restore what do i do

Posted by colton on February 5, 2008 at 9:33 AM (CST)

Wow, People i don’t get how you can get so many problems. i updated my ipod touch with the 1.1.3 and every thing works fine. i love the new apps !!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by jhon on February 11, 2008 at 11:13 AM (CST)

i have recently upgraded my iphone to 1.1.3 and when I dial a phone number that is in my phone book the contact name does not show up or when i receive calls any help would be greatly appreciated

Posted by Kosta on February 13, 2008 at 12:52 AM (CST)

I didnt buy the update yet (no credit card) and im still having all kinds of problems. I cant get into my Ipod touch through iTunes it just keeps on sending me to the itunes store.

Posted by Tyson on February 13, 2008 at 5:19 PM (CST)

I am having the same proplem with my iPhone. I really hate this Apple Company.

Posted by Jerry on February 17, 2008 at 6:39 PM (CST)

Justin you’re a king.
I spent the last 3 hours browsing various forums and website about the Iphone locked in recovery mode.
I downloaded the ibrickr thing, followed what you wrote and it worked perfectly.
Thanks again.

Posted by Fred on March 1, 2008 at 10:39 PM (CST)

I paid $20 for the upgrade on iTunes it took me a few hours to even have iTunes allow me to purchase the update. When I finally did get the update the mail doesnt work and when I try to add an icon to the homescreen I get an error. I paid $20 for a lame notes application, stocks which I will never use and weather. Thanks apple.

Posted by Boomit on March 27, 2008 at 1:09 PM (CDT)

I had the ‘error 9’ as well. Nothing worked except installing a fresh iTunes on another computer and restoring from there.. Thanks to whoever gave that advice:)

Posted by Christian Wessel Grundseth on June 19, 2008 at 1:34 PM (CDT)

not even 10 minutes, and my son’s most anticipated gift is a useless paper weight.  STUCK IN RESTORE MODE, and wasting valuable vacation time!

Posted by Jerome on December 26, 2008 at 2:27 PM (CST)

I was having problems with my touch ipod so I attempted to restore it, following the directions in my itunes.  After 24 hours the ipod is still “restoring”. What’s wrong?

Posted by madison on January 31, 2009 at 3:17 PM (CST)

My iPod is jailbroken.But what can I do to fix it ?

Posted by Dianne-Marie on July 10, 2010 at 5:21 AM (CDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2