Will the downloading generation ever pay for online music? | iLounge News

Will the downloading generation ever pay for online music?

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Sunday, November 30, 2003
News Categories: Digital Media

The music industry has prodded, begged, educated and sued. But its message that music isn’t free has had only a scant effect on many young music fans who came of age in the era of music downloading.

‘‘You can download 100 songs in a day and not even think about it. ... Everyone knows it’s illegal, but people don’t think (authorities are) going to come after them,’’ said Vanderbilt freshman Elizabeth Dearing.

« Pyrim Announces i-Track Holiday Special

Top ten signs you’re an iPod junkie »

Comments

I don’t know…I like iTMS a lot, and while I will still get music from friends, if I like the songs enough, I will look for them on iTMS. Usually, they’re better quality than the 192kbps MP3s I get, and after some contemplation, I’ll buy them. Considering before music sharing, I never even listened to music or bought CDs, the RIAA should be happy.

Posted by Andy on November 30, 2003 at 10:41 AM (PDT)

Andy,
I know exactly what you mean about your downloading habits actually encouraging the purchase of legal CDs.  Before I had free access to countless songs, my musical horizons were limited to what was played on the radio or TV, a narrow selection to say the least.  I never bought CDs before I started downloading MP3s.

Still, after the purchase of my new iPod, a CD seems like a needless expense when I can get the same, although lower quality sounding, song from Poisoned.

Posted by iObsessed on November 30, 2003 at 1:13 PM (PDT)

Interesting…
Ok, I’m 14 years old, and I’ used to download a lot of songs of Kazaalite/WinMx, but I’ve changed. When the RIAA started sueing, I knew what I was doing was stupid and illegal. This is also around the same time I bought my 3G iPod. I have bought about 20 CDs since I’ve bought the iPod and before that I bought very few. I also pay $10 a month for Rhapsody so I can legally preview new music before deciding whether or not to buy it. I’m not a stupid kid anymore. Not all kids download music illegally.

Unfortunately, most of my freinds still refuse to pay for music. They download to their hearts content with the shared folder turned off so the RIAA can’t catch them. Even when one of them DOES spring $15 bucks for a CD, he ends up just burning copies for all his friends anyway. These kids need to be smacked! Every song out of the 1.08 gigabytes I currently have on my iPod is legal.

Posted by Steven on November 30, 2003 at 2:29 PM (PDT)

I’ve changed, but it has NOTHING to do with the RIAA sueing.  I attribute my change of heart 100% to the iTMS.  The thrill of watching a high-quality song download so fast and the rush of good karma is worth $0.99 every time!  wink

BTW… those kids look *really* odd in that photo.  lol

Posted by azdude_15gb on November 30, 2003 at 2:48 PM (PDT)

I’ve stopped downloading precisely because of the actions that the RIAA has taken against downloaders.

At first, i thought the RIAA was bluffing again with there threats. But ever since they got the Feds involved and actually started suing people, including KIDS, i tuned into a sour PUSS* and stopped downloading and deleted Kazaa and all file sharing software from my computer.

I’ve stopped downloading for other reasons too. I once wanted to be a musical artist and started to think how I would feel if people downloaded my music for free, especially if i make my living from that music. I wouldn’t like it. Also, the excuse that some people use about how they are forced to buy the music they don’t even like sold on albums is stupid. How can you fully appreciate an artist if all you listen to is one or two songs, or songs played by mainstreem music stations?

Anyway, the main reason i stopped is because i don’t want my azz sued. I’ve started buying more CDs anyway since i bought my iPod. I’ve been appreciating higher quality rips from iTunes AAC converter, so i’m happy with the selection of music i have now.

Posted by ILoveMusic on November 30, 2003 at 3:13 PM (PDT)

I have well over 3000 MP3’s (13+ GB) ripped from CD’s (650 CD’s in my collection) and EVERYONE is bought and paid for!
Not even one of them is stolen…......

If you steal without paying for them your a thief….....plain and simple!

Brian Fenner

Posted by Brian Fenner on November 30, 2003 at 3:22 PM (PDT)

the RIAA can’t touch me

Haha

Suckers

Posted by HA on November 30, 2003 at 4:53 PM (PDT)

I have many friends who still download music from Kazaa but not as much as they used too. I now get most of my music from iTMS - and requested some gift certificates from it for Christmas - woo hoo can’t wait!!

Posted by kainjow on November 30, 2003 at 5:00 PM (PDT)

Ha, your IP address has been logged, and your ISP will be contacted tommorow. After we attain your information, we’ll order a search warrant on your computer and files. If you don’t believe us, just wait until Tuesday at the latest. We’d like to thank iPodlounge for cooperation.

Take notice- anyone who jeers at the RIAA will be searched thoroughly. I recommend you delete your illegaly downloaded MP3s.

Steve, RIAA rep. 75832

Posted by Steve, RIAA rep. 75832 on November 30, 2003 at 5:37 PM (PDT)

Word of advice steve, if your gonna fake an RIAA representative, make sure you havent made another comment before that.  Damn kids these days.

As for the music downloading, Kazaa isnt the only program that can DL music ppl.

Posted by AcE on November 30, 2003 at 6:04 PM (PDT)

Ah yes, I guess you’re referring to Steven, the 14 year old that realized it wasn’t right to illegally download music when we began our series of lawsuits. It’s always interesting when someone decides that something illegal they are doing is immoral when they realize that they can be punished for it. No, I am not Steven, and I’m looking forward to tommorow.

Steve, RIAA rep. 75832

Posted by Steve, RIAA rep. 75832 on November 30, 2003 at 6:22 PM (PDT)

16 years old- legal downloader since the day after iTunes came to Windows. Now if only a coupla grand can drop on my lap so I can buy a Mac….
    Are there any really really wealthy, er, succesful people out there that don’t mind giving a donation to a kid that shows lots of promise? KTHXBYE

Posted by Sam on November 30, 2003 at 6:25 PM (PDT)

steve-senior riaa, your such a phoney balogni. get over it

Posted by zeve on November 30, 2003 at 7:08 PM (PDT)

I’ve downloaded over 700GB of MP3s and DIVXs—I am over 80,000 MP3s and counting. Most of my audio downloads are 192Kbps and higher - their quality makes any of the stuff I’ve heard from Rhapsody and iTMS just plain suck.

Even if I could find all the stuff in the “legal” services (while in reality they have like 20% of it available or so) there’s no way I could afford it.

Downloading rules! They will only pry my DSL from my cold dead hands.

Posted by KazaaDude on November 30, 2003 at 8:54 PM (PDT)

In the late ‘70’s and the ‘80’s and the ‘90’s I have always paid top dollar for a tape/record or a cd that most of the time only had 1 or 2 Great or good songs on it.In the mid to late ‘90’s I felt like I was useing half my pay check to buy a CD ($14.00/$17.00) Did the record company care about the PEOPLE? It’s nice to see the costs of music drop for the people that dont make a millon dollars…

Posted by brian on November 30, 2003 at 9:28 PM (PDT)

For years, I’ve abstained from buying cds and sending letters with money directly to the artists explaining why I would not support them by buying cds. I’ve actually gotten a few letters of thanks back, the most notable one from depeche mode.

however, now, i’d be too afraid of the RIAA taking legal action. Those people are heartless bastards who exploit artists and sheep like consumers for their own benefit.

We don’t need the RIAA as the middleman. support boycotting the RIAA (although i still buy music from itunes)

[url=http://www.magnetbox.com/riaa]http://www.magnetbox.com/riaa[/url]

Posted by shoryu on November 30, 2003 at 9:43 PM (PDT)

I won’t. Ever.

Why? If the situation becomes so bad I can’t download any songs for free, I wont. I will just buy the albums I want, end of story. There is no deal that any online music store can make to sway this decision.

Posted by Adam on November 30, 2003 at 11:01 PM (PDT)

I spend a fortune on CDs and i goto a lot of gigs. Ii also download illegally music illegally. Do i feel guilty not a bit, why should I?

If they managed to stop file sharing completly they’d get a lot less money out of me simply because i wouldnt be exposed to the ammount of different music i am now by sharing music with the rest of the world.

Quite simply if i download a album and i like i’ll buy the album go see the band.
FILE SHARING IS GOOD FOR MUSIC DONT BELIVE THE RIAA HYPE THEY JUST WANT TO MAKE MORE MONEY FROM LEGAL DOWNLOADS!!

Posted by Whistler in Norwich, UK on December 1, 2003 at 12:10 AM (PDT)

also steve even if u where RIAA there would be nothing u could do about my illegal downloads

i R 2 cl3vOr 4 j00 raspberry

Posted by Whistler in Norwich, UK on December 1, 2003 at 12:22 AM (PDT)

Whistler, that’s the same thing my friend Twizzler said.

He’s dead now.

Please think twice before d/l music illegally, i don’t want to see anyone else suffer.

Posted by in_mourning on December 1, 2003 at 2:22 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >