Windows: Anapod Explorer 8.8 released | iLounge News

Windows: Anapod Explorer 8.8 released

Anapod Explorer 8.8 from Red Chair Software is the latest version of the iPod management application with Windows Explorer integration, file backup, web streaming, and more. This update adds Album Art support for iPod photo users. MP3, M4A, and iTunes Music Store files with embedded art will now have their art displayed on the iPod when transferred using Anapod.

« Bidding open for custom ‘Style & Sound’ iPod cases

Logitech to debut wireless headphones for iPod »

Comments

Does it fix the issue that iTunes has with removing album art for no reason?

Posted by cshores on June 22, 2005 at 3:27 PM (PDT)

Answer: It does indeed quickly repair all of the missing album art.

Instructions: Install anapod, connect ipod, go to anapod options>ipod>album art, click “enable album art support”, then let it do its scan which is quicker than iTunes, and actually repairs like my itunes didn’t.

Posted by cshores on June 22, 2005 at 3:57 PM (PDT)

It caused me to have the missing/incorrect album art issue all over again.  I had to end up doing a restore to my iPod and then reloaded all my music.

IMO, Anapod’s only redeeming feature is the playlist backup.

Posted by Lisa on June 23, 2005 at 6:46 AM (PDT)

Anapod knocks iTunes into the dirt, for my money.  I can’t abide the overall iTunes overall clunkiness—it may be better on a Mac, but it stinks in Windows.  Anapod integrates beautifully with Windows Explorer, and makes managing my iPod substantially easier.

Posted by Doc on June 24, 2005 at 6:49 AM (PDT)

I was disappointed with Anapod Explorer in one respect:  It makes no attempt to manage your music library on disk.  Its’ world-view is strictly limited to what’s on your iPod.  So, if you have playlists in some program (itunes, Winamp, whatever) that you want to download to your iPod, Anapod won’t do it.  It can back up playlists already on your iPod, but these backups aren’t useable by your music manager program, since it doesnt’ understand the correspondence between the songs in the playlist and the files on your hard disk.

Too bad - there don’t seem to be any stable iPod plugins for music managers other than iTunes, and I thought this was going to be a way to finally junk iTunes, but alas, no.

Posted by JD on June 26, 2005 at 5:26 PM (PDT)

I don’t understand all the hubbub about anapod explorer.  It’s difficult to use and it comes with a bare minimal of instructions.  The only thing it’s good for is uploading songs to your computer.  Otherwise, it’s crap.

Posted by ricardo on September 11, 2005 at 7:45 AM (PDT)

Pros:

- Great for backing up Playlists created on Ipod.
- better file transfer than iPod Agent

Cons:

- Slow - computer would hang for minutes
- Song ratings did not transfer
- Need a license for each iPod.  I had to buy 2 licenses to transfer songs and playlists from my 3G to my 5G - So I’m out $50!!
- not a great music manager - I plan to stick with iTunes for now.

Posted by rcharlton on November 22, 2005 at 10:04 AM (PDT)

WARNING: Very disappointed - a confusing interface, inability to drag/drop directly into playlists, inability to import or burn CDs, and completely hosed my iTunes interface and iPod. I am currently trying to unravel the mess this program made of things!

Posted by WWE on December 7, 2005 at 11:54 AM (PDT)

I purchased the Anapod Explorer 8.9.5 Universal version. There are some things that you should know before buying Anapod. One the activation process is token based which means that the software has to communicate with Red Chair servers everytime Anapod is newly installed AND for each indivdual iPod you may own. You MUST register each iPod device with Red Chair! This is very klunky and unnecessary. If your PC is not connected to the internet, you are out of luck! Also there is no documentation that comes with the software. The only thing that comes close is an online, non-downloadble HTML page on the Red Chair website. This is very bush-league. And forget about customer support. Three emails to Red Chair tech support have gone unanswered in one week.

But to Red’s credit, the software seems to work OK. Backup of Playlists and Song Tracks works. But the interface could be more user-friendly and could use support for CD to MP3 ripping. I will be looking into doing a chargeback on my credit card.

Posted by Simply Jay on December 31, 2005 at 7:31 PM (PDT)

was looking into a windows base ipod program for transfering.  Sounds like Anapod might not be the best, which would you recommend? have 60gig 5G

Posted by Jeremy Jones on January 5, 2006 at 6:27 PM (PDT)

Beware of prurchasing anything from Red Chair software, publishers of Anapod. I bought a version of the softwrare for my Nano. I paid via PayPal. I downloaded the software and it wouldn’t activate because it said I didn’t have the proper version for the NANO. After numerous emails to them to them over several days to try and correct the problem. I have had no response from them. I have had to contact PayPal to file a formal complaint. Buyer beware

Posted by Peter Graffman on January 22, 2006 at 9:14 AM (PDT)

I bought and liked the Anapod software right up until the point that it wouldn’t connect with my 3rd generation iPod. It keeps asking me to enter my transaction ID. When I do, it says that it has already been used and I will have to “unregister” one of my other iPods. What?! That sucks. I have repeatedly sent emails to Redchair asking for assistance with this issue with no response. I have to say I am extremely disappointed.

At this point it appears that I can only use this software with 2 iPod videos. Nowhere in their literature does it say that I am limited to how many iPods I can use with this software… and if it did… I would never have bought it. Most of us iPod’ers have 3, 4 & 5 ipods or shuffles between the wife and kids!

So, while I do like the software and its performance, I can not recommend it at this time due to the lack of customer support. I think it is unacceptable to pay for something     that you can’t use and wait 3 days (and counting) for help.

Posted by Cody on January 24, 2006 at 9:47 PM (PDT)

How is anapod at transfering Videos to the 5gen Ipod.  I have the 30gig.

Posted by lucius Willson on January 31, 2006 at 12:23 PM (PDT)

Do not purchase from redchair.  There is no support, no customer service.  Very shady.  Luckily I paid via paypal and they are reversing the charges.

Posted by seldon on February 22, 2006 at 9:13 PM (PDT)

I will never buy another Red Chair product. Anapod corrupted my 60gig iPod. It duplicated every entry, giving me double entries for all 9000 songs. I had to wipe the iPod and start over. Red Chair refuses to answer any emails and they don’t post any other way to contact them. They’re a disreputable company.

Posted by danegeld on May 25, 2006 at 11:59 AM (PDT)

Avoid this software at all costs.  Does not correctly detect / connect to older (3G) iPods.  Author is unreponsive and unhelpful.

Posted by The Rev Ivan Stang on June 6, 2006 at 8:12 PM (PDT)

The problem has never been resolved. It will work with two devices but there is NO customer support and no registration tokens for a third ipod. However, that said, the concept is better than I have found with other products. It is clumsy to try to remove mp3s by hand, although it can be done - and RealPlayer works fine as a substitute for ITUNES but being able to drag and drop using an explorer interface would be the ideal way to manage the device. Perhaps someone else will write the software to use Internet Explorer .. It can’t simply be from ipod to computer; it must be computer to ipod also. Anyone find a good substitute? - email me: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

HR

Posted by Hank Roth on September 15, 2009 at 12:19 PM (PDT)