Windows: CopyPod 4.0 released | iLounge News

Windows: CopyPod 4.0 released

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Sunday, September 19, 2004
News Categories: Windows Software

CopyPod allows to backup - copy - transfer iPod Music to your PC. Ideal to make a secure backup of the iPod, to move your iPod Music between computers, to backup the iPod before sending it for repair.

What’s new in this version:

This new version has a cool iTunes like design and
can backup individual playlists.

License: Freeware
System Requirements: CopyPod will work on any PC with XP.

« Paul Frank iPod cases

Etymotic 6i earphones for $119 »

Comments

Doesn’t work… missing a library file - doh!

Posted by Sean on June 5, 2004 at 10:09 AM (PDT)

It does work…You have to download 4 System files…You can get them here…The two .bpl files and the two .dll files…

However…You’d be better off with SHAREPOD which the version 1.6 is totally self-contained and retains the FILENAMES as well as letting you be selective with what what you want to transfer to the PC. CopyPod just wants to transfer everything although you can interrupt it at anytime. Also the filenames are lost with CopyPod…You just get 4 digit .mp3z…May not be important to ID3 Tag people but to me I want my filenames intact. Still…Can’t complain about a FREEWARE utility…

Posted by DaveI on June 5, 2004 at 11:59 AM (PDT)

Finally—I’ve found the fact that you can’t download files from your iPod to your computer to be the most annoying thing about it.  I used to think that I just didn’t know how to do it.

Thanks for the Sharepod info, DaveI.  Will check it out.

Posted by Jeremiah on June 5, 2004 at 3:05 PM (PDT)

there’s also arPod, which runs off the iPod,
and iPod Agent, which you need to install and run from the computer.

Posted by Harrison in Melbourne, Australia on June 5, 2004 at 9:51 PM (PDT)

just for kicks I wanted to see how long 3300 songs would take with copy pod.  It has done 1500 in about 10 minutes on FW.  I wonder if the new iPods might have FW800, that could be fun.

Posted by Andrew on June 6, 2004 at 12:14 AM (PDT)

OK…Just did some testing…
First off…CopyPod and arPod are not in the running as they don’t maintain filenames…

TEST: 2403 Mp3 Files
Total Size: 10360 MB

SHAREPOD 1.6 - 17 minutes 59 seconds
Anapod 8.5.6   - 22 minutes 22 seconds
Ipod Agent 0.6.3 - 17minutes 37 seconds

The difference between Sharepod and Ipod Agent is neglible. Sharepod is still the overall winner as it has the same transfer rate as Ipod Agent but runs as a standalone file from the iPod itself. IpodAgent also has many features that are not yet working or do not work correctly.
SHAREPOD is the clear winner maintaining LONG FILENAMES intact and at a blazing speed and is not required to be installed on the PC. The only thing that would make SHAREPOD better is if it worked with Windows98 PCs as well (Evidently it cannot as I tried to transfer music to a friend’s Win98 PC the other day. Works perfectly on XP machines though. CopyPod and arPod just leave you with a bunch of renamed four digit Mp3z…Don’t think I’d want to rename a couple of thousand Mp3z…Even using an autorenamer pulling filename out of ID3Tag (Which I don’t use)...

Posted by DaveI on June 6, 2004 at 5:17 AM (PDT)

interesting test dave.

Posted by grimmet on June 6, 2004 at 7:51 AM (PDT)

Operating Systems
CopyPod will work on any PC with XP

not even going to attempt on 2k..

obviously buggy code.

Posted by HOLLA on June 6, 2004 at 12:03 PM (PDT)

DaveI, you indicated there are many features of iPod Agent that don’t work correctly. Could you expand on this? I’m the developer of iPod Agent and currently don’t have reports of any major bugs.

Posted by Shadow on June 7, 2004 at 2:35 AM (PDT)

well shadow im having a prob. everytime i try to copy my 798 songs to my computer i only get 655,all the time

Posted by podio on June 7, 2004 at 5:54 AM (PDT)

Shadow,

First off…I am not at all criticizing Ipod Agent…It’s a BETA and BETA means things are still being developed. I only used Ipod Agent for a brief time but heres what I found. First off I’ll tell you I am using
XP Home on a 3 GHz P4 with 512MB RAM.
My IPOD is a 2nd GENERATION.
First Problem I found.
When trying to SELECT ALL through the menu to do a copy to the PC the it did not select all. I found the only way to select all and check mark them was to first select all though the normal method of selecting first file holding shift key then cliciking last file. Then you have to use the select all through the menu as it will not recognize all selected unless you do so and it won’t select all unless you first select all through the method I stated…Weird for sure…Once you’ve selected all twice using the two different methods you can then select the check all feature. I tried it several times of just doing the select all via the normal windows method OR your menu pick…But found it required first selecting all then using the menu pick select all…That’s how it worked on my machine anyway. Secondly your items like transferring weather, etc. to the iPod did not do anything when I tried it. I don’t use Outlook so instead I picked to transfer them to CONTACTS. I use WeatherForMe, GoogleGet, FeedMyIpod and all those applets work fine and download their information to my CONTACTS on my Ipod…Your program did not put anything in the CONTACTS…I could not even tell if it was going anywhere to get information…Also I tried to put a NOTE into the CONTACTS like I do with the small applet ITEXT…That did indeed put a .vcf file in the CONTACTS…HOWEVER…My 2nd Generation IPOD could not see it…It saw all the other CONTACTS that the other programs had placed but not the one your program had placed in it…I suspect you have made it compatible with 3rd Gen Ipods but may not work with 2nd Gen? The only way I knew your program had put a .vcf file in my contacts was using Explorer looking in the folder on the Ipod I saw it but again I checked the Ipod and the Ipod did not see it although it could see all the other contacts fine. As your program is still listed as a 0.6 Beta I have nothing bad at all to say about it and actually the interface is quite nice and I’m sure later releases will have the problems worked out…
Hope this helps…I’ll be happy to Beta Test in the future…daveI.

Posted by DaveI on June 7, 2004 at 10:28 AM (PDT)

Thanks for the details DaveI. The select problem you are having is odd. I don’t understand why you’d have to manuall select all (first song/last song). I’ve never had a problem using just the “Select all” option on the right-click menu and then selecting “check selected”. I’ll do some more testing to see if I can get the same thing to happen with me.

As for the “saving as contacts” thing…currently there are only two things that can be stored as contacts. Outlook contacts (obviously) and notes. As you guessed, I own a 3G iPod and thus cannot test on anything else. If you wouldn’t mind helping me out, I’d greatly appreciate it if you could send me one or two of the contact files that work that were generated from those other problems. I should then be able to figure out what the differences are in what they are doing vs. what I am doing and get mine to work as well.

Currently, the other sync options (news, weather, movies, etc.) are all stored in the “Notes” folder. As the “notes” feature was added as a feature of the 3G iPod’s, these functions will only work with 3G iPods. I have on my “to do” list to add the ability to store these items as contacts as well. I hope to have that ability in the next version or two.

Posted by Shadow on June 8, 2004 at 4:12 AM (PDT)

Shadow,

No problem at all…I clicked on your name to see if you have an email address listed but it said you don’t have a profile…If you have a email address you can list here I’ll be happy to forward the CONTACTS from the programs I listed…

Posted by DaveI on June 8, 2004 at 10:41 AM (PDT)

5507 Songs, Copy and Pasted to Desktop=40+ minutes

5507 Songs, Ipod Agent=40+ minutes

Don’t Forget To Consolidate To iTunes Library

Posted by Aikon on June 25, 2004 at 2:15 PM (PDT)

The posting up top says that CopyPod is freeware but if you go to the download site, it shows that it is shareware with a 14 day trial date. Which one is which? The cost is only $5 to register which is not bad at all.

Posted by JT on June 28, 2004 at 1:12 AM (PDT)

I am really amazed…even in a non 2.0 USB port this is an extraordinary tool.

Great and simple

Posted by Antonio on July 6, 2004 at 2:54 PM (PDT)

Sorry I was talking about SharePod 1.7

165 MB 177 secs trough an old usb port….

Posted by Antonio on July 6, 2004 at 2:56 PM (PDT)

WHY DO WE NEED SUCH THINGS?

I have a 4G 40GB iPod loaded with music. When I plug it into another computer via USB, the iPod is mounted as an external harddrive and I can access it in Windows Explorer.  All the music are stored in a hidden system folder called “iPodControl” (I cannot remember the exact name).  I can simply copy all the music from iPod to my computer in windows explorer!

Posted by Ringer in PA on July 30, 2004 at 2:54 PM (PDT)

This is a violation of the DMCA, and as we all know from Apple’s screed against Real, Apple fully supports the DMCA.

This is also a violation of EULA.

Why willfully violate the law?  You knew about the iPod’s DRM before you bought it, and you agreed to adhere to it by default.  If you don’t like the copy rules, your only legal recourse is to purchase a music player without restrictions.

Otherwise, you’re violating not only the law, but the spirit of the agreement you de facto entered into with your iPod purchase.

Posted by Just the Facts on July 31, 2004 at 8:48 AM (PDT)

shut up, just the facts with all your DMCA & EULA baloney! we’re not pirates here and are not profiting from anything.

Posted by Just The Fuck on August 1, 2004 at 8:40 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >