Windows: iPod Agent 0.6.0 beta released | iLounge News

Windows: iPod Agent 0.6.0 beta released

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, May 11, 2004
News Categories: Windows Software

Pod Agent is a Windows program for use with an Apple iPod. It allows you to easily do various tasks that have been relatively hard to do without buying some 3rd party software. iPod Agent currently does the following and more (see website):

• Transfers songs from your iPod to your PC

• Transfers Outlook mail to your iPod

• Transfers Outlook appointments to your iPod

• Transfers Outlook contacts to your iPod

• Transfers Outlook tasks to your iPod

• Transfers Outlook notes to your iPod

What’s new in this version:

See website for extensive list of new features and enhancements.

License: Freeware
    System Requirements: Windows and .NET Framework 1.1 (installed)

• « JAVOScreen iPod mini screen protector released

PlayFair is back, again »

Comments

ok - who’s first?

Posted by Daddo on March 1, 2004 at 4:04 PM (PDT)

Looks pretty promising, hope it works well… will know better once I plug my iPod in.
    My only complaint so far, is that when I started up the program, it started at the top of my screen, underneath my taskbar (as I have it at the top, duh) and I am unable to move it at this point. Maybe my system is just odd…

I am glad that I already had the .NET installed, as if you don’t have it, you will need to download a 22MB file or so if I remember correctly.

Posted by taraodem@svwireless.org on March 1, 2004 at 4:07 PM (PDT)

I get a Syntax Error when I start it.

Says “Syntax Error: Missing operand after ‘S’ operator.

Posted by dave on March 1, 2004 at 4:34 PM (PDT)

I have been playing with it(the program), but I can’t get canadian weather to work. Isn’t it the weather.com code? more later

Posted by bkush on March 1, 2004 at 5:58 PM (PDT)

Ugh. No thanks, i am waiting for Pod2go Windows version.

Posted by Alan Wegrzyn on March 1, 2004 at 6:09 PM (PDT)

works well. thanks!

Posted by m on March 1, 2004 at 10:29 PM (PDT)

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Someone else reported that syntax error as well. What operating system (Windows version) are you using?

I’m actually using weatheroom.com to get the weather. I never tried it with a Canadian zip code. What is a sample Canadian zip code I can try. I’ll look into using weather.com instead.

Posted by Shadow on March 2, 2004 at 4:14 AM (PDT)

Oh, and I’ll fix the problem with it starting in the upper left corder of the screen. It does indeed start there initially. After that, it will remember where you move it to and start there the next time.

I should have this fix later today.

Posted by Shadow on March 2, 2004 at 4:16 AM (PDT)

I’m using XP.

Posted by dave on March 2, 2004 at 6:20 AM (PDT)

i had the syntax error as well but it works just fine. i am using winXP

Posted by m on March 2, 2004 at 6:58 AM (PDT)

Syntax Error: Missing operand after ‘S’ operator.

running windows xp home

then when trying to sync

i get

The data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 1.

then the same syntax error again

weather did not sync when it said it was complete..

i have a 3G 40 GB ipod

Posted by Ryan on March 2, 2004 at 7:26 AM (PDT)

Ok, I fixed a few bugs and put out a new release. You can get it at the same place (iPod Agent website).

I fixed the following:

* Window positioning on startup
    * Syntax error: Missing operand after ‘S’ operator
    * Outlook tasks not appearing on iPod

Ryan, I am hoping the error about the “root leve is invalid” will also be fixed. The various settings for iPod Agent are being saved in an XML file. The XML file ended up being malformed if the iPod name had an apostrophe. Hopefully that was causing the “root” error as well. Please try the new version and let me know if you continue to see that error.

Posted by Shadow on March 2, 2004 at 7:56 AM (PDT)

I just released another version (0.1.2 now).

There was a problem with the weather sync process. It wasn’t pulling the correct city. Also, I discovered you can not only use zip codes but also location and CIAO codes as well. So, you can get Canadian weather or other international weather as well as US. Zip codes only work for US weather. To get Canadian (or US), you can enter a location such as:

* toronto.on.ca
    * chicago.il

For international weather, you can use CIAO codes. Go here for a list of these codes.

Posted by Shadow on March 2, 2004 at 9:04 AM (PDT)

the syntax error is gone and some other errors are also gone, but when I go to sync weather only, i get an error that looks like this:

COM object with CLSID {lots of numbers and letters} is either not valid or not registered

It does this no matter what zip code or location i enter.

(btw, i love the gui on this program, matches itunes smile  )

Posted by dave on March 2, 2004 at 9:30 AM (PDT)

actually, it does this no matter what I sync.

Posted by dave again on March 2, 2004 at 9:31 AM (PDT)

I was trying to make it work…. but the syncing doesn’t work at all on my ipod…. I was trying to sync weather and rss feeds… neither of them work…....
    also, I want to know where would these be available on the ipod, if the syncing works..

Posted by raghu on March 2, 2004 at 10:49 AM (PDT)

Dave, do you have Outlook installed on your PC? If not, that is your problem. The sync process won’t work at all if Outlook isn’t installed. I have a fix for this problem but I haven’t released it yet. I should have it up shortly (version 0.1.3).

To see the weather on the iPod, go to Extras -> Notes -> iPod Agent. On this screen, you should see an entry for Weather.

To see the news on the iPod, go to Extras -> Notes -> iPod Agent -> News. From here you should see a list of all the news sources you synced.

Posted by Shadow on March 2, 2004 at 11:04 AM (PDT)

I went ahead and release version 0.1.3. The only change is that the sync process no longer requires Outlook to be installed. You can now sync RSS news feeds and weather without Outlook.

Posted by Shadow on March 2, 2004 at 11:14 AM (PDT)

Thanks Shadow for the response. I do have Outlook installed. But, still when I’m trying to sync weather, it gives me message “The problem at the root level is invalid. Line 1, Position 1.”
    Also, for the RSS feeds, I get the message “The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote server”

Posted by raghu on March 2, 2004 at 11:26 AM (PDT)

Are you behind a proxy server or firewall that requires authentication (user id/password)?

Posted by Shadow on March 2, 2004 at 12:05 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last »