Windows: iPod Agent 0.6.0 beta released | iLounge News

Windows: iPod Agent 0.6.0 beta released

Pod Agent is a Windows program for use with an Apple iPod. It allows you to easily do various tasks that have been relatively hard to do without buying some 3rd party software. iPod Agent currently does the following and more (see website):

• Transfers songs from your iPod to your PC

• Transfers Outlook mail to your iPod

• Transfers Outlook appointments to your iPod

• Transfers Outlook contacts to your iPod

• Transfers Outlook tasks to your iPod

• Transfers Outlook notes to your iPod

What’s new in this version:

See website for extensive list of new features and enhancements.

License: Freeware
    System Requirements: Windows and .NET Framework 1.1 (installed)

• « JAVOScreen iPod mini screen protector released

PlayFair is back, again »

Comments

i’ll try the new update.

Posted by dave on March 2, 2004 at 9:32 PM (PDT)

same problem

Posted by dave on March 2, 2004 at 9:36 PM (PDT)

Those of you getting the “object reference not set…” error adding news feeds…

What value are you putting in for the name? I just tried something and I get the same error. This occurs if you put in a name with an apostrohpe. Please try it again and make sure there are no apostrophes in the name. The next release will fix this problem.

Posted by Shadow on March 3, 2004 at 3:58 AM (PDT)

Never mind about the apostrophe’s. I think I just wasn’t awake yet. smile Anyway, I found the problem and fixed it. I put up a new version (0.1.6) with this fix as well as a fix for a timezone problem with tasks that caused them not to show up for all timezones.

Posted by Shadow on March 3, 2004 at 5:32 AM (PDT)

now it’ll only pull one news feed and every other news feed pulled overrides that one.

Posted by dave on March 3, 2004 at 7:19 AM (PDT)

dave, please try the version 0.1.7 I just uploaded. I got a bit carried away with some directory cleanup code I had added. I don’t want to leave old news out there.

I also added the ability in this version to save notes as a single contact instead of 4k notes. It’s something I won’t use, but I received a few requests for that ability.

Posted by Shadow on March 3, 2004 at 8:01 AM (PDT)

works like a charm!  Thank you very much for making such a fine program and for being so attentive to people’s problems.

kudos!

Posted by dave on March 3, 2004 at 8:31 AM (PDT)

First off Shadow - THANKS!!!  Very promising software!

Still having some issues with the 0.1.7 version. I’m trying to import my Outlook calendar, weather, and news from Google.

The first error message that pops up is “Specified cast is not valid”. Clicking OK on this dialog box changes the calendar button to green.

The next error is “There is an invalid character in the given encoding.  Line 34, position 47928.”  Clicking OK to this changes the news button to green.  Not having ever tried to do an RSS import, I’m guessing that I’ve set this part up incorrectly.  The URL I put down for obtaining Google news was http://news.google.com  If there is a site for rss feeds, please let me know!

As for the Outlook calendar issue, I’m not sure what to do.

Any help is appreciated!! Thanks again!
    Mark

Posted by Mark on March 3, 2004 at 10:13 AM (PDT)

Just did a google search for Google+News+Rss+Feeds and turned up this site: http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=1&q=http://googlenews.74d.com/&e=7413

havent’ tried it yet.

Posted by dave on March 3, 2004 at 12:06 PM (PDT)

Mark, that is not an RSS feed. The URL you enter for the news feed has to be in XML format. If you put the URL in your browser, it should be very apparent that it is an XML file. It should look something like this news feed from Yahoo:

As for the first error, could you try only turning on the Calendar sync and try again. If you then get the error message, we’ll know it is due to the Calendar sync.

Posted by Shadow on March 3, 2004 at 12:21 PM (PDT)

i’m getting a file access error (as in “access to file not allowed”) no mater where i try to export a list to.  Music files transfer with no problem.

Posted by Daddo on March 3, 2004 at 2:34 PM (PDT)

Thanks to you both, dave and Shadow, for the rss tips.  I did a quick test of the Yahoo site and it worked flawlessly.  I’ll keep hunting for more sites.

As for the calendar sync - same issue.  Still getting the Specified case error.

Posted by Mark on March 3, 2004 at 2:36 PM (PDT)

Getting file access denial when trying to import list - however songs import any where i want them fine

(also i swear i posted this already but looks like database is not updating)

Posted by Daddo on March 3, 2004 at 2:56 PM (PDT)

well,no errors yet shadow.looks good.

Posted by bkush on March 3, 2004 at 3:01 PM (PDT)

Dude, Shadow…this is so awesome I can’t believe it.  The first really innovative software yet for the iPod.  Keep up the good work!

Scott

Posted by pod-e-mouth on March 4, 2004 at 4:45 AM (PDT)

Shadow - a little more background that may help with resolving the issue.  I’m on a network (that doesn’t require a proxy setting) that uses Windows NT.  I’ve got Windows XP on my laptop.

Microsoft Outlook is on the server.  When I initiate the sync to the mail and calendar, I receive the notice that a program is attempting to gain access to the Outlook database and I’m given the option for selecting how long to grant access.  I’ve tried the 1 minute, 5 minute, although usually the 10 minute access option.

I’ve tried the various options under mail and calendar sync, with the exception of downloading past appointments.

Regardless of the options I’ve selected, I receive the following errors:

Transfer Mail Error - Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Transfer Calendar Error Specified cast is not valid

One other item to note in the Weather sync It shows that the current conditions here in Sacramento CA are 75 degrees Celcius and not Fahrenheit.

Do the error messages I’m getting lead you to believe that it is a server issue?  An Outlook issue?  Again, any help would be appreciated.

You’ve done such a great job with this that I’d love to get all aspects of the program working at my location.

Thanks again, M

Posted by Mark on March 5, 2004 at 10:38 AM (PDT)

Mark,

Do you mean Microsoft Exchange is on the server? You have Outlook installed on your WinXP laptop, right?

I’ll look into the temp thing.

If you wouldn’t mind working more with me, I can build a version of the app that has some debug messages in it. They would popup message boxes indicating where it is in the sync process and show you various values. I would need you to pay attention to these and write down what each one says until it gives you the errors you are now seeing. This would allow me to track down where, exactly, the problem is. Let me know if you’d like to do this. If you will, please contact me via email (.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)).

Daddo,

I don’t understand why you’d get such an error. Please let me know EXACTLY what you are entering in for the Destination file.

Oh, wait a sec, are you perhaps just putting in a directory name and not a file name? You must enter a full file name to export to. Such as:

C:Music ExportmyMusic.html

You can’t just enter this:

C:Music Export
    or
    C:

Posted by Shadow on March 5, 2004 at 12:42 PM (PDT)

ok - duh - yeah file name that works, but leads to another problem - the trees don’t work.  I get my genre listings with arrows next to them (also one genre is listed several times with the spelling exactly the same way - it only appears once in itunes and iPod) but clicking them fails to open them and IE freezes and must be closed.  Static HTML works fine.  I’d really like the tree - any sugestions?

Posted by Daddo on March 6, 2004 at 6:18 AM (PDT)

Site seems to be down, and I am still getting the “missing operand” error message when running 1.8.  Any suggestions? (Loving the app!!!)

Posted by Andy on March 6, 2004 at 6:23 AM (PDT)

Seems like the website is down.  Possible to get the files any other way?

Posted by Doug on March 6, 2004 at 6:59 AM (PDT)

Page 3 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >