Windows: iPod Control 1.0 released | iLounge News

Windows: iPod Control 1.0 released

iPodControl is for people who use their iPod on multiple computers (like me who switches between Mac and PC twice a day). For some reason, iTunes saves it’s local preferences on the iPod—making them not local. This means that if you have your music library on one computer, and use the other computer just to play the music, you’ll constantly be threatened that iTunes is about to destroy all your music. Obviously not cool.

Among other things, iPodControl fixes this problem by providing a launcher for iTunes which keeps track of your local preferences—updating them for you when you launch iTunes, then restoring them to their previous state when you quit or dismount the iPod.

License: Freeware
System Requirements: Windows XP, iTunes 4, iPod Software and .NET Framework 1.1

« Incase to release Flower, Flame and Turntable mini cases

iLounge User Group post meeting report »

Comments

This program sounds like a really good idea

Posted by Dave on September 22, 2004 at 1:52 PM (CDT)

I agree with Dave. This is a good idea.. I have my library on my home computer, but I like to connect it to my work computer and play it through iTunes where I can rate my songs using iRemote.

I haven’t tested it completely yet.. but I was wanting to know if I need to run this application on both my home machine and my work machine for this to work properly?  ie.. if I run this on my work computer and tell it that I dont have my library on it, when I plug it into my home machine, will it auto sync again?

The other question.. if I rate these songs on my work machine.. will those ratings be synced when i return home?

Other feedback that I would have is that it would be better to have the application run from the system tray.

This is a great thing :)

Posted by camson in Melbourne, Australia on September 22, 2004 at 5:35 PM (CDT)

Hey thanks for the feedback.
I’d definately like to get this running from the System Tray—as soon as I figure out how, I’ll be doing that.
In answer to your questions, no you don’t need this running at home. If you use iPod Control to dismount, or if you quit it before you dismount the iPod, it will restore your settings to what they were so when you get home it behaves normally.
However, the home machine always over-rides a guest machine, so changes you make at work won’t be synched back… That said, iTunes does import ratings from the iPod… so ratings may be an exception to this rule.
Glad to see someone’s using it!!

Posted by Jonathan Wise on September 22, 2004 at 6:26 PM (CDT)

By popular demand (OK, me and one other person wanted this) I’ve added a system tray icon.
When you minimize, the app hides under a cute little iPod pic, and you can access most of the features from there.
That plus a couple bug fixes make iPod Control 1.2—hope you enjoy it!

Posted by codepoet in Ontario, Canada on September 23, 2004 at 8:04 AM (CDT)

Man, I’m just going crazy with releases here!
iPod Control 1.3 is out, and it let’s you control iTunes playback from the window or the system tray. I’m gonna stop posting here, but news and programming info can be found at www.jonandnic.com
Also, it hasn’t been said anywhere before, but the source code is distributed with the app—go ahead and make it better!

Posted by codepoet in Ontario, Canada on September 23, 2004 at 10:45 AM (CDT)

wait…hang on.. are you telling me i can use the same pod on a pc and mac?

if so…

i have a PC configured 3g 40gig,, can i use ipod agent to transfer songs off it onto an ibook

I must know..please tell me

Posted by Daddo on September 23, 2004 at 2:07 PM (CDT)

Yes, Daddo, you can. Your Mac should have no problem synching with a Windows iPod—it’s just a little slower (maybe 5-10%) on the Mac…
PS: 1.5 Released

Posted by codepoet in Ontario, Canada on September 23, 2004 at 2:24 PM (CDT)

what if the mac has another pod already associated with it?  i assume still no worries

so what is the best freeware for transferring from pod to mac - ipodagent is windows only

and finally, asside from this software, if the mac itunes is set not to sync, then it won’t , right?

Posted by Daddo on September 23, 2004 at 3:01 PM (CDT)

- I used iPod Browser on my Mac to get files from the iPod over—but I very rarely need to do that, so I’m not sure what the best software is for that.
- There shouldn’t be a problem having multiple iPods on the Mac, but iPod Control can only handle one iPod at a time.
- When iPod Control finds an iPod backs up its preferences, copies over the local preferences, and then (optionally) starts iTunes. If you use iPod Control to unmount your iPod (or quit it while the iPod is still mounted) it will restore the iPods original settings (meaning whatever it was set-up to do on your Mac is what it will do when it sees your Mac again). However, if you dismount the iPod behind the software’s back, it will have no way of restoring the old preferences so your iPod will behave on your Mac as you had it set to do on your Windows box.
- Also, I really don’t know how this will work with iPod minis that only xfer parts of the library. It won’t do anything bad, but it might not be able to figure out your settings. Has anyone tried this?

Posted by Jonathan Wise on September 23, 2004 at 3:12 PM (CDT)

Great! Just what I’ve been waiting for!

Posted by tecstar on September 24, 2004 at 4:06 AM (CDT)

Hi jonathan,

it’s a great tool you’ve written. Please have a look at sourcefourge.net.

Posted by markus on September 29, 2004 at 9:53 AM (CDT)

Thank you! The input is appreciated and the bug has been fixed!
For those not following closely, we’re up to version 1.54 now with over 1000 downloads!!
If you run Windows and have an iPod—even if you don’t use multiple computers—check this action out!!

Posted by codepoet in Ontario, Canada on September 29, 2004 at 10:33 AM (CDT)

What a great idea.

I also use my iPod on my G4 and my pee cee.

Thanks for making the time to write this software.

Posted by Phil Cook on October 3, 2004 at 8:12 AM (CDT)

erm.. silly question,but what exacly does this do? how does it stop the Itunes problem? do I need this software installed on both computers to stop itunes erasing all my songs?

Posted by fred wilson on October 17, 2004 at 1:16 AM (CDT)

Bless you, Bless You, Bless you!

Your little app has solved what was going ot be several hours ‘restoring’ my iPod link to my laptop in order that I can play my iPod at work (I did what many people have done and synced their iPod with a blank library).

Best thing since sliced-bread!! Well done.

Posted by cambomj in Sydney, AUstralia on November 21, 2004 at 3:35 PM (CST)

Bless you, Bless You, Bless you!

Best thing since sliced-bread!! Well done.

Posted by cambomj in Sydney, AUstralia on November 21, 2004 at 3:35 PM (CST)

Jonathan,

I have a new iPod photo, and I was wondering if iPod Control 1.55 supports it. When I tried setting iPod Control up on my work (non-library) machine, it launches iTunes 4.7 correctly, but I’m still seeing the dialog asking if I want to use my work machine as the music library (no!) and another dialog asking me if I want to use my work machine as the photo library (no!).

Should the music library setting work for the iPod Photo? Am I hitting a bug? Also, are you going to update iPod Control to remove the dialog about the photo library, too?

I’d be happy just knowing if it should work with the iPod Photo. :)

Thanks!

Posted by PKMousie on November 29, 2004 at 7:59 PM (CST)

Unfortunately I don’t have an iPod Photo so I can’t answer this definatively. Likely the iPod Photo has a different preferences file than a regular iPod, so the two that come with iPod Control won’t work. However… assuming the iPod Photo keeps it’s preferences in the same place, there may be a work around. I will look into it and post here.

In other news, I no longer have an iPod… I sold my 3G to get a Photo but my wife insisted that new furniture was more important. So… unless someone has an iPod they want to donate, there will be no more updates to iPod Control for quite awhile now…

Posted by codepoet in Ontario, Canada on November 30, 2004 at 8:20 AM (CST)

OK, well like I said, I don’t know if the iPod Photo (or other versions of the iPod) keep their preference files in the same place, so I don’t know if this will work. (3G and 4G iPod’s keep the preference file at X:\ipod_controliTunesiTunesPrefs—where X is the drive letter your iPod is mounted at. (Incidentally, can you guess where I got the name for my app?)) However, if they do, then this will work for you…

All iPodControl does is keep a copy of each preference file—one for “isLibrary” and one for “notLibrary” so when you connect your iPod to your “not library” computer, it copies over the “notLibrary” preference file, and when you disconnect, it copies back the “isLibrary” preference file. To use preference files compatible with a different iPod, you simply need to provide those files. To do these steps you’ll need to view hidden files on your iPod—you can do this in Windows Explorer or in iPod Control.

- Shut down iPod Control
- Launch iTunes and configure your preferences as if that computer were the home (library) computer.
- Browse to x:ipod_controliTunes in Windows Explorer and copy the file “iTunesPrefs”
- Browse to c:program filesiPod Control
- Delete the file called “isLibrary”
- Paste the file you copied above
- Rename this file to “isLibrary”
- Now return to iTunes and configure your iPod preferences as if this computer did *not* contain your library
- Browse to c:program filesiPod Control
- Delete the file called “notLibrary”
- Paste the file you copied above
- Rename this file to “notLibrary”
- Finally, in iTunes, set your iPod back to the way it was configured when you were last connected to your library. (So iPod Control can take over)

Now shut down iTunes, and launch iPod Control. It should begin juggling these new preference files.
Note this only affects music—I don’t have a clue how iTunes manages the pictures, so I can’t even begin to advise on that until I get my own iPod Photo.

Hope this helps…

Posted by codepoet in Ontario, Canada on November 30, 2004 at 8:33 AM (CST)

Thanks for the reply!

Sounds like you need a new iPod photo… Everyone using the 3G/4G needs to send you some fat donations!

I believe the iPod photo uses the same prefs file, I’ll test to see if your fix works.

Again, thanks! Independent coders of the world unite!

Posted by PKMousie on November 30, 2004 at 5:49 PM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >