Windows: iPod Media Studio released | iLounge News

Windows: iPod Media Studio released

Makayama Interactive has announced the release of iPod Media Studio, a new Windows application that encodes video for playback on the new fifth-generation iPod. The $33 software can encode several formats (AVI, MPEG1, DivX, XVID, VOB, ASF) and enables DVD-to-iPod conversions.

“The feature that everyone wants, but Apple didn’t give you. This software allows you to transfer DVD’s directly to your video iPod and enjoy them on the gorgeous 2.5” LCD-monitor. You can take any movie from DVD, but also recorded TV-material, or home movies from your DV-camcorder or digital still camera, and with 3 clicks convert those into a small file, which is optimized for playback with the iPod built-in video player. Enjoy movies with an amazingly sharp picture and stereo CD-quality sound.”

« HandStands intros iSnug nano case

zCover debuts iSA silicone case for 5G iPods »

Comments

Will be interested to see a review of this software. So far, there are several methods of (supposedly) converting video for use on the iPod, but it’s labor-intensive and the resulting videos are of middling quality (compared to what you get out of the ITMS, for instance) or simply won’t play at all. Let’s hope this is the all-one-solution we’ve been waiting for.

Posted by Hrothgar on October 31, 2005 at 10:12 AM (CST)

I agree - if this thing works - this is going to be AMAZING.  Not looking to pirate DVDs, just know that I would much rather carry around an iPod with 10 DVDs on it rather than the 10 DVDs themselves.

Posted by Cornelius Bigglesworth on October 31, 2005 at 10:36 AM (CST)

I wholeheartedly agree… i need to convert my music dvd to .mov and then export as iPod movie. I dont have a quad-processored computer so it takes a day for each opera i am converting. This will sure help:)

Posted by floridante2k on October 31, 2005 at 11:03 AM (CST)

What about a Mac version? Any ideas about that? Know of any planned alternatives?

Posted by ...jtc... on October 31, 2005 at 11:24 AM (CST)

Mac version - download the free QTAmateur (requires QT 7.0.3 for iPod export) - http://www.mikeash.com/?page=software/qtamateur/index.html

But for Windows users, if you only need basic MPEG, AVI, etc, conversion, get QT Pro for $29… but I guess for DivX you need this…

Posted by kevin on October 31, 2005 at 11:36 AM (CST)

So it means this software can help us to convert these kinds of format(AVI, MPEG1, DivX, XVID, VOB, ASF) to .mov and then put into the iPod ??
Actually, wt’s the difference if I use other software that convert those kinds of format to .mov ??
I’m just confusing…..
What’s the advantage of using this software?
Subtitles, foreign language…..

Posted by Joe on October 31, 2005 at 11:52 AM (CST)

Downloaded this software and it would’nt load properly,so if the developers won’t $29.00 for this they had better get it right as there are free progs out there which will get the job done and lets not fool our selfs putting video content on the ipod is never going to be as fast as loading songs anything to do with video conversion is time consuming.

Posted by STEVEN BATES on October 31, 2005 at 3:14 PM (CST)

Well, i downloaded the trial version & it downloaded a little bit of the movie (the full version downloads the whole movie) & i transferred it to my iTunes & then to my iPod. I played it & worked great. i haven’t tried any other programs, but i’m so tempted to just buy this program. does anybody have any suggestions on any other programs?

Posted by Angela on October 31, 2005 at 9:50 PM (CST)

umm, Isn’t there something called videora for Windows, that works well and is, better yet, free? Check it out: http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/

Posted by Elichid on October 31, 2005 at 10:39 PM (CST)

guys, you may want to check out http://howto.diveintomark.org/ipod-dvd-ripping-guide.

it works, and it’s free.

Posted by Archie42n on November 1, 2005 at 8:53 AM (CST)

Oh, i forgot.  that software works only for macs.

Posted by Archie42n on November 1, 2005 at 8:54 AM (CST)

sorry…didn’t finish last posting…BUT, like i was saying the iPod Media Studio just transferred the movie to desktop, then to iTunes where you would then just sync it to the iPod. I’m new at this so i don’t know if it’s just too easy to be true.

Posted by angela on November 1, 2005 at 9:20 AM (CST)

Well the trial version sucks. If’s full of bugs, gives various weird and user unfriendly error messages, and crashes every 1 out of 2 times. First dvd it doesn’t even recognize, but I managed to rip one part of the second one i tried. Image quality (high setting) looked sortof okay, but the sound and image were way out of sync.

This product is a neat idea, but the software comes over as a rush job, that needs better testing and debugging before releasing. I will gladly be a beta tester, but I will not yet pay 30 bucks for this, becuase in multiple tries I only got one actual converted file that was not properly synchonized.

Posted by Eric Bensel on November 1, 2005 at 8:15 PM (CST)

Hey guys!  I just converted a DVD of ‘Walk to Remember’, and downloaded it into my iPod.  AND IT WORKS BEAUTIFULLY.  For Mac users, get the Handbrake software for free now!

Posted by Archie42n on November 1, 2005 at 8:40 PM (CST)

I purchased the full version and have had problems with the audio and video tracks. They seem to get out of sync from the beginning of each converted video. I don’t recommend purchasing this software until this bug is fixed.

Posted by adam on November 1, 2005 at 9:35 PM (CST)

Have been using DVD Decrypter (free downlaod)then Videora iPod Converter (again free) for music and film DVDs and it works great.

Lots of complaints about the speed at 1x dvd speed and lack of quality. These guys have got to understand video conversion is a slow process and that its a small screen.

However, after reading the ‘complaints’ I’m over the moon at the results. Yes its slow. Yes if your at home then you’d put a DVD in the player and watch on awidescreen TV with 5.1 surround sound, but on the move and in hotels etc. the picture on the ipod is much, much better than expected. So is the playback on TV (if staying in a hotel with a poor choice of TV channels!)

Overall give it a go. My rating B

My wish is that Apple will upgrade the iTunes software so that it optimizes the videos for playback as it does with photos automatically. Time will tell if this happens but a surething other suppliers will offer it.

Posted by Video Converted on November 2, 2005 at 1:27 PM (CST)

the best software to use for conversion to ipod settings is pspware.  Its free!

Posted by superman on November 4, 2005 at 11:44 PM (CST)

I, too, downloaded the demo version of Ipod Media Studio.

Most of the converted AVI files didn’t work—the video and the audio were out of sync. It seemed as if the audio was playing correctly, but the video was playing slowly.

I tried several different AVI files. As far as the 4cc codes: xvid never worked; div3 & DX50 sometimes worked.

Also, all of the videos were elongated; all the people looked stretched out.

The DVD function just didn’t work—frought with error messages!

I really wanted this software to work since iPod/iTunes doesn’t have anything that helps with AVI files. (Virtually all my video files are AVI—either Divx or Xvid.)

If anyone knows any way to convert AVI files to an iPod format, please let me know!

Posted by Donald on December 20, 2005 at 12:13 AM (CST)

I downloaded the trial version, it worked. But the next time I tried to start my computer I found out it realy messed things up. I can’t get my desktop to show up.

Posted by ben on February 27, 2006 at 11:51 PM (CST)